Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
I didnt change the words, I added one. Im not all that good at putting into writting my opinions and I dont get my point across very well, but I know what I mean. Agree to disagree.. It wouldnt be the first
No - to my mind - any person - is a very different thing to any person educated in dogs.

But heigh ho - won't go there would not be a first.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
No - to my mind - any person - is a very different thing to any person educated in dogs.

But heigh ho - won't go there would not be a first.
My point (badly put across or not) was any person that owns a dog should be educated enough to know a dog that was fit from one that wasnt....even more so them judging, breeding and showing/competing with dogs.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I see, so your "fit for function, fit for life " only applies to gun dogs, or more specific, the springer
No, every dog should be fit for function. Those that still have a function should be proven fit and able to carry it out effectively. If the Pug has no function to carry out, then it cannot be proven, obviously. With breeds in this situation nothing would need to change other than to ensure it is fit to function as a dog. Utilising health tests and sensible breeding practices would achieve this.

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
What rubbish, you seem really jealous or something Rips, Im not sure why? There is nothing wrong with the feathering in the pictures of the SHOW dogs WORKING, is there? They ARE doing their job. its many of the working Spaniels that have deformed legs, barrel chests and very little feathering at all, is that correct? They have been bred deformed, how "correct" and moderate is that?
Jealous, of what? What makes you think this? Please elaborate Dawn as you've genuinely lost me. Or is it another case of the fact you disagree with me that suddenly makes me green wih envy?

Could you repost the pics you posted of the Show Springers in full, excessive coat hunting and flushng game in thick cover (their original funtion remember, the Springer was not bred or created to be a Retriever) as I must've missed them, apologies.

Oh and I've never deemed the working type Springer as correct either, just for the record.
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-08-2010, 10:32 PM
O how I'd love to see some poodle peoples faces if their dogs had to go out and do a days work and their coats got ruined and dirty! Personally I couldn't care less because as long as Blu is having fun the coat can be sorted or trimmed shorter!

I do think dogs should be worked in some way (agility etc) to show they can do other things rather than walk up and down a ring.. But my breed is vert smart and most of the time needs some form of working to keep their mind active. That's why Blu does agility, obedience and hopefully flyball next summer!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Jealous, of what? What makes you think this? Please elaborate Dawn as you've genuinely lost me. Or is it another case of the fact you disagree with me that suddenly makes me green wih envy?

Could you repost the pics you posted of the Show Springers in full, excessive coat hunting and flushng game in thick cover (their original funtion remember, the Springer was not bred or created to be a Retriever) as I must've missed them, apologies.

Oh and I've never deemed the working type Springer as correct either, just for the record.
Nope, the pics are in this thread Rips, easy enough to find. It would be foolish to assume you could see any dog in "thick cover" so of course no picture will show you that, but they do show show dogs doing what they should in the terrain you say they cant work in.

Im wondering if its because of Isla's problems that you seem to be very anti now? A genuine question Rips, you were very pro show dog/working dog and you have offered nothing to back up your claims that they cant work, just your opinion. Yet people have posted you links and stuff showing you they can and indeed do work, with good feathering.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 07:26 AM
Blu, Blu must be having such a great time with all of that poodles are such clever and agile dogs and imo they don't deserve such the 'girly' rep they have, I'm sure I've also heard of Poodles being used as police dogs before, I've also heard of a man who works them putting silicone or something in their coat to protect it, I've even heard of a poodle sled team, that competed too until the man was told that they wasn't allowed
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-08-2010, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Blu, Blu must be having such a great time with all of that poodles are such clever and agile dogs and imo they don't deserve such the 'girly' rep they have, I'm sure I've also heard of Poodles being used as police dogs before, I've also heard of a man who works them putting silicone or something in their coat to protect it, I've even heard of a poodle sled team, that competed too until the man was told that they wasn't allowed
He would just wreck the house otherwise because he has so much energy!

Poodles can be used for nearly anything. I would love to see a criminal being chased down the street with a poodle in continental clip People don't realise the girly image was actualy designed for working. Even when Blu has blue bands and wraps in people still call him a girl and act shocked you can get a male poodle
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 03:37 PM
I was talking to a woman in America a couple of years ago now about the poodle cut, and she gave me a full list of why the cut is how it is, I found it fascinating, there was a reason for everything, even up to the ball on the tail I have that list somewhere, and have brought it up when a lurcher man was moaning bout them, but its on my computer, if only more people knew the real reason for the cut, which was never intended for fashion to begin with, even if to some people now thats the way its gone. Also bless Blu being thought of as a girl, tbh I don't think films have helped much with the rep Poodles have, if I've seen a poodle in a film their always very girly dogs, most the time if the have voices stuck up too lol.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Nope, the pics are in this thread Rips, easy enough to find. It would be foolish to assume you could see any dog in "thick cover" so of course no picture will show you that, but they do show show dogs doing what they should in the terrain you say they cant work in.

Im wondering if its because of Isla's problems that you seem to be very anti now? A genuine question Rips, you were very pro show dog/working dog and you have offered nothing to back up your claims that they cant work, just your opinion. Yet people have posted you links and stuff showing you they can and indeed do work, with good feathering.
Oh I'm not anti at all, I enjoy showing, I just don't enjoy seeing breeds being ruined by peoples egos and their desperate need to win, be it in the show ring or the working field. My opinions haven't changed, perhaps you just haven't paid attention in the past? I'm still for working show dogs, the Show Springer is the correct dog when compared to the breed standard and can still hunt and work as a gundog - as long as those breeding them pay attention to the breed standard and breed dogs with moderate feathering!

So I'm correct in thinking you haven't posted any pictures of Show Springers in excessive coat (as illustrated by the second pic I've posted) hunting and flushing in thick cover? Didn't think so! As I've said, a Show Springer in such excessive coat as shown in the second picture cannot fulfil it's purpose as a hunting dog when faced with thick cover. Just because a Springer of such description can manage to hunt and flush on open ground does not make it acceptable. It certainly wouldn't manage in these parts as has been proven by the Show kennels I speak to who work their dogs and trim the coat off to enable them to work them. I'll say this one more time Dawn, the breed standard calls for moderate feathering for a reason and that reason is it's original purpose as a hunting dog. A dog bred to hunt should be able to face any cover and excessive coat prevents this from being possible. Not my opinion, but fact from the very mouths of people I have spoken with who hunt with their show dogs.

Isla's only problem is her attitude, other than that she's fit as a fiddle!

Oh and I'm still waiting to find out what I'm supposed to be so jealous about? Could you enlighten me do you think?
border pop
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Y In my breed, the dog should be fit and in hard condition. Many times we see thin dogs, this is because they are too big to span, the owners think if they are half starve it will make their ribcage easier to get your hands round, wrong!!! It simply shows you an underfed dog which is not placed, and quite rightly so.
Well said Dawn, iIm glad its not just me who has noticed this. It saddens me most of all when you see puppies in that state. IMO puppies should be well covered
Page 11 of 35 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »