Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2008, 07:56 AM

New Ceiling!

Some of you may remember the flood, the people upstairs had, which poured through my ceiling recently.

Well, I have someone coming to have a look at the damage today, OH and I had a thought last night and now i cant decide.

Currently i have a suspended ceiling with built in lights, which are in the shape of a triangle, with 2 circuits, one for the inside of the triangle and one for the outside, all looks very pretty (when all the bulbs are working) but is a bit of a pain when the bulbs blow.

Now, i may need the ceiling ripped down and replaced BUT we had a thought.....what about, rip down the suspended ceiling and just repair the original ceiling, it still has all the original features and i am swaying towards this idea (converted Victorian House)

What do you guys think?
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2008, 08:36 AM
Get rid of the suspended ceilings, we've just done that in our kitchen/dining room, wasn't prepared for what we saw underneath though.....but it will be sorted out, and the suspended ceiling is no more......been wanting rid of it for years, the room feels so much bigger now, it's probably only 5" higher but feels a lot bigger and more open. The ceilings underneath were dreadful, so the chap that's putting in our kitchen is going to put sheets of plasterboard up, to cover the awful ceiling, then the plasterer will plaster it at the same time as the walls.

You say you have a converted victorian house, then I would personally go back to the original ceilings.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2008, 08:40 AM
Original all the way personally, much prefer higher ceilings gives a greater sense of space. However, it may be worth considering soundproofing from upstairs at the same time if that is possible.
Becky
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by crazycockers View Post
Get rid of the suspended ceilings, we've just done that in our kitchen/dining room, wasn't prepared for what we saw underneath though.....but it will be sorted out, and the suspended ceiling is no more......been wanting rid of it for years, the room feels so much bigger now, it's probably only 5" higher but feels a lot bigger and more open. The ceilings underneath were dreadful, so the chap that's putting in our kitchen is going to put sheets of plasterboard up, to cover the awful ceiling, then the plasterer will plaster it at the same time as the walls.

You say you have a converted victorian house, then I would personally go back to the original ceilings.
Thanks

We already know the ceiling will be a mess as this last leak was about the 4th one in about 2 years so, the original ceiling is going to need repair anyway, which is when we thought well, why bother with putting another ceiling up and just restore the original one, which i would prefer anyway.

Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Original all the way personally, much prefer higher ceilings gives a greater sense of space. However, it may be worth considering soundproofing from upstairs at the same time if that is possible.
Becky
Thanks Becky, didnt think of soundproofing, that would be heaven