View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Thanks Nicola, I've looked at the links. We always took a probiotic powder the Entrodex, but I've now changed that to the Purina Fortiflora Veterinary diets sachets, which I will continue to use every day for evermore! I shall order the Dorwest herbs that you pointed me to, so thanks for all that.

I've now done my head in researching various foods for ibs conditions, and from my research, it would appear I need low residue food, as dogs with this condition do well on this according to trials carried out. I'm not happy with the contents of this Purina gastrointestinal food because of the ingredients, (especially the menadione and the corn) so I'm erring towards a good food that is aimed at sensitivity control and top of my list for the moment is the wellness one, but we shall see, the Origen looks good too, and once I find one, when all this has settled down I shall introduce it and stick with it, but to get on the right road, I need to start with that low residue food (apparently!). Thank goodness for Google I say!

Having said that Zena refused the 2nd lot of fish I cooked up, so I resorted to opening a can of good old Chappie and lo and behold down it went with great gusto lol, and stayed down no probs. I shall be sticking with this until she's right, with the sardines for her pills sorted!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Thanks Nicola, I've looked at the links. We always took a probiotic powder the Entrodex, but I've now changed that to the Purina Fortiflora Veterinary diets sachets, which I will continue to use every day for evermore! I shall order the Dorwest herbs that you pointed me to, so thanks for all that.

I've now done my head in researching various foods for ibs conditions, and from my research, it would appear I need low residue food, as dogs with this condition do well on this according to trials carried out. I'm not happy with the contents of this Purina gastrointestinal food because of the ingredients, (especially the menadione and the corn) so I'm erring towards a good food that is aimed at sensitivity control and top of my list for the moment is the wellness one, but we shall see, the Origen looks good too, and once I find one, when all this has settled down I shall introduce it and stick with it, but to get on the right road, I need to start with that low residue food (apparently!). Thank goodness for Google I say!

Having said that Zena refused the 2nd lot of fish I cooked up, so I resorted to opening a can of good old Chappie and lo and behold down it went with great gusto lol, and stayed down no probs. I shall be sticking with this until she's right, with the sardines for her pills sorted!
I got some of the Purina Fortiflora sachets last year at Crufts from the people at their stand - they just handed me them two boxes on the way out the door when they saw me with Roxy! I used them all up and they looked good and she had no problems with them.

Have a look at the grain and cereal free range from James Wellbeloved too. I meant to say that changed Roxy on to the white fish and veg at the time as well (it also has potato in it) and she's doing well on that. In fact, both her and Molly are.

http://www.wellbeloved.com/products/...real_free.aspx

So far, so good with Roxy - no sickness or diarrhea - so it appears to be suiting her.

Re. doing your head in...I know what you mean! You end up giving yourself a headache looking in to it all and it can often feel a bit overwhelming at times until you settle on something.

At least she's eating and enjoying the Chappie mean time and taking her meds. Good girl!

Hope you have a settled night with her tonight. Wee soul!
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Just caught up with this myself. Sorry to hear you're going through this with Zena. Thinking of you all and sending hugs.xx
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 07:19 PM
You must be exhausted old bean, and your brain is probably like yesterday's porridge.

Good old Chappie eh - no wonder it is the one food that most vets recommend for all manner of ailments. It certainly does seem to do what it says on the tin. (Does it say anything on the tin )

I just hope that you all manage to get a good night's sleep tonight.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Just catching up. What an awful time you are both having. Fingers crossed things start to improve with poor Zena very soon.

Helen
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I got some of the Purina Fortiflora sachets last year at Crufts from the people at their stand - they just handed me them two boxes on the way out the door when they saw me with Roxy! I used them all up and they looked good and she had no problems with them.

Have a look at the grain and cereal free range from James Wellbeloved too. I meant to say that changed Roxy on to the white fish and veg at the time as well (it also has potato in it) and she's doing well on that. In fact, both her and Molly are.

http://www.wellbeloved.com/products/...real_free.aspx

So far, so good with Roxy - no sickness or diarrhea - so it appears to be suiting her.

Re. doing your head in...I know what you mean! You end up giving yourself a headache looking in to it all and it can often feel a bit overwhelming at times until you settle on something.

At least she's eating and enjoying the Chappie mean time and taking her meds. Good girl!

Hope you have a settled night with her tonight. Wee soul!
Thanks Nicola, I'm going to take a look at that one then! I settled for the natural balance tinned food, it's for sensitive tums, it comes highly recommended......and then I stumbled on a site where their food had been recalled in the states the sweet potato and buffalo one I think, where melamine had been discovered in the rice from China then I found MORE foods had been found to have this in, and the further I researched, the more I discovered, no matter what we buy, they're all in it for the money, and we're feeding our dogs complete and utter c*ap, no matter what it says on the tin! One vet highly recommends raw, and I'm beginning to feel the same way, the only problem with that is, Zena can only take mashed up food, otherwise it comes back up, it's getting a complete nightmare for me now, mealtimes I am dreading! At least she ate her tin of Chappie with sardines and her pill though!

Originally Posted by Northernsoulgirl View Post
Just caught up with this myself. Sorry to hear you're going through this with Zena. Thinking of you all and sending hugs.xx
Thanks, I sometimes wonder just how she looks so flippin' healthy!!!!

Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
You must be exhausted old bean, and your brain is probably like yesterday's porridge.

Good old Chappie eh - no wonder it is the one food that most vets recommend for all manner of ailments. It certainly does seem to do what it says on the tin. (Does it say anything on the tin )

I just hope that you all manage to get a good night's sleep tonight.
Do you know old bean, I haven't even looked, whereas I've gone through every list of ingredients for just about every other food there is out there for sensitivities!!! I must look on that tin. I have though, discovered that Tylan seems to do shepherds very well who have this condition, so I'm going to investigate that next! Oh my poor head, but at least dinner and breakfast stayed down and I've managed to get those 3 jumbo ab's into her with each meal. I can't believe the vet gave me such huge pills and 3 at a time, twice a day purely because they "don't do the others anymore", i.e. that one big one that gets you all excited when you've managed to disguise it to a tee! Now I've got 3 of the beggers each time! The minute she susses them though, she'll be like old Georgie was and start refusing her food, but thankfully, she doesn't chew, she just swallows, so fingers crossed!! xx

Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Just catching up. What an awful time you are both having. Fingers crossed things start to improve with poor Zena very soon.

Helen
Thanks Helen, I think we should start seeing a great improvement by tomorrow after 2 days of ab's, and then Thursday when the results come back, hopefully, it might actually show something up, that'd be good!
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 09:22 PM
H I was in the same place as you 5 years ago with Hector.

I do agree with you that researching the dry food market is a real eye opener, thats why I went raw!

My supplier delivers every 2 weeks and it comes in 1lb bags minced up, ( Hector also wants his food mashed, lazy sod!)

I kept Hector on tinned Chappie for 6 months after his bloat and it really did sort him out.

I hope you get Zena sorted quickly, poor girl doesnt deserve all this bless her.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Oh H, how horrible for both of you! I really hope it is nothing that can't be easily fixed, and that the test results are good! (((hugs)))
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2012, 02:02 AM
Just seen this H, really hope she is ok, sounds pretty nasty

Poor girl, hope she gets rid of this and quick x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2012, 06:34 AM
Originally Posted by hectorsmum View Post
H I was in the same place as you 5 years ago with Hector.

I do agree with you that researching the dry food market is a real eye opener, thats why I went raw!

My supplier delivers every 2 weeks and it comes in 1lb bags minced up, ( Hector also wants his food mashed, lazy sod!)

I kept Hector on tinned Chappie for 6 months after his bloat and it really did sort him out.

I hope you get Zena sorted quickly, poor girl doesnt deserve all this bless her.
Oh I'm so sorry to hear you had to witness something as terrible as this too Julie. Was it the bloat that caused the blood in the vomit, or was that a separate incident? Oh these dogs hey, they really will be the death of some of us!! Thanks for putting my mind at rest that she should get through this, and also for telling me that Hector doesn't use his teeth either, except for crunchy treats!xx

Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Oh H, how horrible for both of you! I really hope it is nothing that can't be easily fixed, and that the test results are good! (((hugs)))
Thanks Lozzib, it was really scarey I can tell you, especially when you've been woken up at 2 am by the o/h coz then you know it's serious.xx

Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Just seen this H, really hope she is ok, sounds pretty nasty

Poor girl, hope she gets rid of this and quick x
Thanks Natalie, she's still not quite right, but we're half way through the meds now so I should see a great improvement soon.xx
Page 7 of 16 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »