Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 04:08 PM

Blood tests?

I have been recently considering having blood work done on my dog. As many know she's very nervous... Getting better in certain situations that I have put work in to but there are still a million other things I have to work on her nerves; loud noises, door knocks, strangers in house, cars, busy roads, buggies etc to name just a few!!

She has been checked by the vet for general health but never anything more specific.

I was wondering what you would test for - full bloodwork?
And what if anything chemical wise could cause nervousness in dogs. I'm aware most nervousness is either unbuilt genetic or lack of socialization. It's not the latter I think it's just her and it takes time to build confidence but what would be the signs it could be something else? Would she not improve with training as she is doing?

Any ideas or advice appreciated
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by WhichPets View Post
I have been recently considering having blood work done on my dog. As many know she's very nervous... Getting better in certain situations that I have put work in to but there are still a million other things I have to work on her nerves; loud noises, door knocks, strangers in house, cars, busy roads, buggies etc to name just a few!!

She has been checked by the vet for general health but never anything more specific.

I was wondering what you would test for - full bloodwork?
And what if anything chemical wise could cause nervousness in dogs. I'm aware most nervousness is either unbuilt genetic or lack of socialization. It's not the latter I think it's just her and it takes time to build confidence but what would be the signs it could be something else? Would she not improve with training as she is doing?

Any ideas or advice appreciated
One of the reasons reputable behaviourists will usually only see dogs on a vet referral is to rule out any underlying medical conditions.

It is pointless prescribing a regime of behavioural modification if the dog is not in a position to learn due to a medical problem.

Sometimes removing the medical problem (if any) renders behavioural modification superfluous.

Usually it is a full panel thyroid ala Dr Jean Dodds which identify non clinical hypythyroid dogs.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
One of the reasons reputable behaviourists will usually only see dogs on a vet referral is to rule out any underlying medical conditions.

It is pointless prescribing a regime of behavioural modification if the dog is not in a position to learn due to a medical problem.

Sometimes removing the medical problem (if any) renders behavioural modification superfluous.

Usually it is a full panel thyroid ala Dr Jean Dodds which identify non clinical hypythyroid dogs.
Thanks, these are my thoughts that I would like to 100% know I am doing the best for her. She has come on leaps and bounds - in certain situations - but it's slow going and I feel I should rule out medical troubles. After seeing her brother they are completely different dogs today that had the same experiences in their first 12 weeks.

Do I ask for a full thyroid test panel then? Can most vets do this? Any idea on cost? I'm guessing the tests aren't covered by insurers?
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Ps what are non clinical hyperthyroid dogs?
I'm guessing this is different to standard hyperthyroidism (which my cat has!?)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Thanks, these are my thoughts that I would like to 100% know I am doing the best for her. She has come on leaps and bounds - in certain situations - but it's slow going and I feel I should rule out medical troubles. After seeing her brother they are completely different dogs today that had the same experiences in their first 12 weeks.

Do I ask for a full thyroid test panel then? Can most vets do this? Any idea on cost? I'm guessing the tests aren't covered by insurers?
Yes, yes, no, yes if there is reason to do it.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Its unusual for a dog to be hyperthyroid, dogs are usually "hypothyroid" . If you google you will get symptoms to look for. To do the full tests vets need to do TSH, T3 & T4. Anything else you are wasting your money. Last time we had it done it was about £60 but thats about 18 months agp

If there are medical symptoms the insurance should cover it. Most excesses you pay more than that anyway so unless she is hypothyroid it wouldnt be worth claiming for tge test

What age is your dog?
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Its unusual for a dog to be hyperthyroid, dogs are usually "hypothyroid" . If you google you will get symptoms to look for. To do the full tests vets need to do TSH, T3 & T4. Anything else you are wasting your money. Last time we had it done it was about £60 but thats about 18 months agp

If there are medical symptoms the insurance should cover it. Most excesses you pay more than that anyway so unless she is hypothyroid it wouldnt be worth claiming for tge test

What age is your dog?
Thanks, will have a little google now. I'm sure she is perfectly healthy but I think it would give me peace of mind to know for sure that it is all just behavioral.

Thanks for giving me the names of the tests too.. will ask my vet next tues when I take the cat in!!

I will look up symptoms but she seems pretty normal except for exceptional syness. She can barely sit in a quiet room without getting herself worked up about noises - she has to have constant background noise to cover things up.

She has just turned 12 months. She has been unsure since bringing her home at 12 weeks, although seemed normal at the breeders (although a little more reserved than some others in her litter of 9).
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 05:09 PM
From reading about it, it doesn't sound as though it is something my dog would have:

Usually affecting dogs over 4/5
Dry flaky skin
Hair loss etc.

Seeing as she has pretty much always been nervous and shows none of the other symptoms, is there anything else that blood work could potentially bring up in terms of a chemical inbalance which affects behavior, or is the most usual one?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 05:21 PM
From reading about it, it doesn't sound as though it is something my dog would have:

Usually affecting dogs over 4/5
Dry flaky skin
Hair loss etc.

Seeing as she has pretty much always been nervous and shows none of the other symptoms, is there anything else that blood work could potentially bring up in terms of a chemical inbalance which affects behavior, or is the most usual one?
hance the term non clinical.........
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
hance the term non clinical.........
Got it did wonder what that meant!

I guess for £60 its worth ruling it out... Will chat to the vet
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >