View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AboutTimeAcres
New Member!
Female 

26-11-2006, 10:48 AM

Puppy with a broken neck - Any others have experiences?

Faith's story begins as a young pup growing up with her littermates. An energetic girl, always on the go, she was constantly ready to play and have some fun. She had the sweetest personality and adored attention. Her eyes would always catch me. Such deep soulful puppy eyes, and she had this endearing way of simply melting in my arms and gazing into my face... blissfully basking in puppy happiness.

Life always manages to throw a curveball when least expected it seems. At just under 8 weeks of age, Faith's life took a drastic change. She was playing with her littermates in the puppy playpen when I heard her yelp, then start whining and crying. I found her laying on her side unable to move more than to flop her head around. She had no control over her hind legs, only a very minimal ability to use her front legs, and could only seem to move her head and shoulders and cry.

A trip to the vet and x-rays confirmed our fears - she had broken her neck.
The vet's prognosis was grim. There was no feasible option for surgery that could be done. Without being able to correct and immobilize her neck, her chances of recovery were nonexistent. We were told we had two options. The first was to put her down. The second was to hope for a miracle...

She already has quite a fan club rooting for her, and I wanted to share her story (as it progresses) and updates.

Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2006, 10:51 AM
The very best of luck to her.
Dawn.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2006, 11:19 AM
I hope the improvements she's already made continue, best of luck to you both, Becky.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

26-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Hope all goes well for you both.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Yes actually I do have experience of exactly that same situation. In my case it was a 13 week old boxer pup who tangled with a bentwood rocking chair and the patio doors. He was still standing after the encounter and the problem was not immediately diagnosed correctly. Once x-rays were taken though I was told it was amazing he was still alive never mind still standing. He went downhill before things got better (he spent a great deal of time lying flat, even to eat, and became incontinent too) and it did take a lot of perseverance but he did in fact make a complete recovery and lived to be a very fit and able dog until the age of 13 which is quite an achievement for a boxer. All this happened 23 years ago so with medical advances she must have a relatively decent chance just don't give up. Anyone who didn't know his history would never have guessed that he had a days illness in his life to be honest.
I wish her and you all the luck in the world but I know from experience miracles can happen.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2006, 11:40 AM
What a heartbreaking thing to have happened, I wish you and Faith all the best and truly hope this special little dog makes a full recover - just like Troubles Boxer.

I hope her story inspires you and gives you some hope that Faith can do the same
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Hoping that all goes well for this wee pup
whoami
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-11-2006, 01:29 PM
The very best thoughts of healing for this little lass

Karen
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2006, 04:33 PM
Aww Bless her

I hope this pup is going to be okay x
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2006, 04:36 PM
How sad, poor little mite. I wish you and her the very best of luck and hopes she has a speedy recovery. x
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >