Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AdamBinnington
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-07-2010, 05:20 PM

Food supplement, for a puppy

Hello,

My dog had puppies sixteen days ago. As you'd expect in a litter of nine puppies there was a runt. I thought he'd got fatter, but he hasn't. I'm now scared he'll die. Today I've started feeding him a mixture of weetabix, sugar and milk, to give him an extra boost. I was wondering if anybody had any other ideas, I could use on him?

Thanks,
Adam.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by AdamBinnington View Post
Hello,

My dog had puppies sixteen days ago. As you'd expect in a litter of nine puppies there was a runt. I thought he'd got fatter, but he hasn't. I'm now scared he'll die. Today I've started feeding him a mixture of weetabix, sugar and milk, to give him an extra boost. I was wondering if anybody had any other ideas, I could use on him?

Thanks,
Adam.
If the pup is not getting sufficient mother's milk, I think you need to be supplementing with a good puppy milk (lactol possibly) but there are others available. I would not be adding sugar or cow's milk at this stage. Ideally, the puppy should be getting the nutrition from his mother. Can you keep him on mum for longer than the other puppies (best to put him on first before the others get theirs). Back nipples are usually the best.

As it is just about weaning time there are preparatory early weaning foods available. I don't know if it is still available, but there was one called "puppy porridge" which is good once puppies are starting to lap. In any event, your vet will know what supplementary puppy food is being sold these days and will likely be able to provide you with something suitable.

Once weaning is fully underway properly the puppy may be able to catch up, but do use a complete puppy food for weaning and make sure he gets his share.

Hope he will improve.
AdamBinnington
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-07-2010, 06:00 PM
He has enough time feeding (and the strongest grip on her teats) whilst the other puppies are sleeping we wake him up so he can have a good feed on his own.

Thanks for your help though, I'll look out for Puppy Porridge.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Hello,

Thanks,
Adam.
I agree with want aerolor wrote.

I don't understand why there should be a"runt"in a litter of 9. None of my friends who have litters way biggar than 9 had a"runt"in any of their litters.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Hello again Adam

Have been doing a bit of "Googling" and found Pdigree Pro Puppy weaning porridge is still available. It comes in a 2Kg tub. There is a milk content in it, but it is not actually "porridge" just makes up like it. It does contain meat protein as well as the milk, so for young puppies just starting weaning I think it is excellent as a starter food. My puppies loved it and it is very digestible. It is a bit expensive - costing £23.99 per tub. It is available on line from Bowmeows in Birmingham. (google it because I don't know the www. address). You can also ring them to order on 0845 2574005 or you can e-mail them - Enquiries@bowmeows.co.uk. There is a charge of £3.00 for delivery, but you will probably only need to get one tub. As soon as the puppies are well on their way with weaning you can put them onto the regular puppy food.

Hope all goes well.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2010, 11:04 PM
Hello,

Thanks,
Adam.
Hi Adam , have you checked the pups mouth to see if the pallet is ok .

I would not be feeding 'human' food like weetabix and sugar at this stage, puppy milk like Lactol is similar to a bitches milk and the best thing for tiny puppies.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Adam , have you checked the pups mouth to see if the pallet is ok .

I would not be feeding 'human' food at this stage, puppy milk like Lactol is similar to a bitches milk and the best thing for tiny puppies.
I agree with Minihaha here, although carnation milk has helped mum gain weight on her smaller puppies in the past.
Putting puppy on to the back teats is a good idea to, as this is where the most milk is (so i've been led to believe)!

Goats milk is ok to.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2010, 11:28 PM
..Adam, I just realised the puppies are 16 days already
When weaning I start very small puppies on scraped beef, unlike mince it contains no gristle for little ones to choke on. A teaspoon a day is all you need to begin with.

To make it; buy slices of stewing steak and scrape the raw slice of meat with a knife to produce a sort of fine paste. This is very easy for the puppies to lick and they love it. It can be added to puppy milk.

For the undersized puppy an old but good thing to give is Brands Essence of Chicken, you can still buy it from some health food shops and on the Internet (100% chicken jelly with no additives) .
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 07:45 AM
IHave the pups been checked by the vet? if not, I`d at least take the one who`s not doing well in. If the pup is feeding but not gaining there could be a problem.