Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by AnimalFactor View Post
ps. Tigers in other parts of the world were seen as pests, something to be feared or simple sport. And look what has happened to them

Pity the human race never learns its lesson... Foxes are in no danger of being extinct atm, but with all this anti-fox BS, it could happen.....Don't ya just hate a Tory led media set up against wee foxes....The general public are easily whipped up and manipulated
But Tigers habitats ARE being encroached on, thats why the farmers had issue with them. Im not talking the horrid tiger bones trade etc.. Im talking Bengal Tigers being pushed to smaller areas, whereby they come into contact with farmers and their livestock. Thats never going to happen here with Foxes, never.
AnimalFactor
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-12-2010, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Thats not the case here at all. Foxes are opportunistic feeders, they scavenge. They "chose" to live in towns they were not forced. Easy pickings, that unfortunately includes peoples pets.
Yes, some chose towns, then give birth, numbers increase etc....but we as a race, are pushing them out of their natural habitat so we are increasingly rubbing shoulders with them. And if humans corrected their habits (bins, pets etc) WE could help discourage them coming into towns if there is indeed woodland/countryside nearby...Again, its still our fault.

I would be heart broken if a fox killed one of my pets, but at the end of the day, they are MY responsibilty and up to me to keep them safe. Which, I do....
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 09:47 AM
Yes, some chose towns, then give birth, numbers increase etc....but we as a race, are pushing them out of their natural habitat so we are increasingly rubbing shoulders with them. And if humans corrected their habits (bins, pets etc) WE could help discourage them coming into towns if there is indeed woodland/countryside nearby...Again, its still our fault.

I would be heart broken if a fox killed one of my pets, but at the end of the day, they are MY responsibilty and up to me to keep them safe. Which, I do....
But where is this? I cannot think of anywhere in the UK where people have "taken" land from ANY wild animal.

Foxes are animals that reproduce at an alarming rate, and being in towns its worse. They have a constant supply of food, thats the ONLY reason they live in towns, no other reason. Almost all of their cubs survive, there is no natural selection and survival of the fittest, thats one reason the urban Foxes look absolutely awful compared to the rural ones. Not all but many. You dont get mange in them either in the countryside, yet they infect our dogs with it in the towns.
AnimalFactor
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-12-2010, 09:54 AM
But where is this? I cannot think of anywhere in the UK where people have "taken" land from ANY wild animal.

Foxes are animals that reproduce at an alarming rate, and being in towns its worse. They have a constant supply of food, thats the ONLY reason they live in towns, no other reason. Almost all of their cubs survive, there is no natural selection and survival of the fittest, thats one reason the urban Foxes look absolutely awful compared to the rural ones. Not all but many. You dont get mange in them either in the countryside, yet they infect our dogs with it in the towns.
Are you for real? We take land ALL the time away from wildlife, often professionally "cleaned" of wildlife first

Thats why I have foxes (new build), some survived and still live i this area.

As I said, humans need to correct their behaviour, I they want to discourage the foxes from living in towns...As I outlined above, take better care of rubbish. pets etc...
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Are you for real? We take land ALL the time away from wildlife, often professionally "cleaned" of wildlife first

That why I have foxes (new build), some survived and still live i this area.

As I said, humans need to correct their behaviour, I they want to discourage the foxes from living in towns...As I outlined above, take better care of rubbish. pets etc...

Can you show me examples of your claims? As I say, I cannot think of any land taken away from any wildlife that meant they have to live in towns.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Thats not the case here at all. Foxes are opportunistic feeders, they scavenge. They "chose" to live in towns they were not forced. Easy pickings, that unfortunately includes peoples pets.
foxes are territorial so they need space and theyre also adaptable so they moved into our towns...and i for one think thats wonderful and i wish that all species could adapt to live alongside man so successfully!... so many species are becoming increasingly endangered because we are encroaching on the natural world at an alarming rate, animals like foxes should be admired not despised and killed.

My Cats do go out, I have erected inverted fencing so they cannot get out, not that they try.

The problem is Foxes roam everywhere, if they were just where they should be, in the countryside, we wouldnt have the issue with them massacring peoples pets. Urban Foxes live in towns, thats where the issues lie.
i thought you also had issues with foxes being in the countryside? i know plenty who do! they kill them on sight just because they dont like the animal!

why on earth dont people take responsibilty for their animals! its their place to ensure their pets and livestock are safe its ridiculous to blame a predator for predating! ....if a fox had killed my rabbits or guinea pigs i'd have been devestated and also guilty that i didnt keep them secure but wouldnt go out and persecute the foxes...jeezus
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-12-2010, 08:07 PM
I don't know anyone who kills a fox on sight just because it's a fox. I do know people who kill foxes where they are a problem, ie they predate heavily and are a nuisance. Animals and birds are killed to control their numbers and prevent them having a negative impact on the environment, and our farming practices, crows, pigeons, foxes, rats etc. They are not eradicated, or exterminated, their numbers are controlled.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-12-2010, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
I don't know anyone who kills a fox on sight just because it's a fox. I do know people who kill foxes where they are a problem, ie they predate heavily and are a nuisance. Animals and birds are killed to control their numbers and prevent them having a negative impact on the environment, and our farming practices, crows, pigeons, foxes, rats etc. They are not eradicated, or exterminated, their numbers are controlled.
so are you telling me that people only shoot a fox that is caught killing livestock?
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-12-2010, 08:18 PM
No, a farmer calls in people to shoot foxes when they have a persistent problem, ie a fox that returns and kills livestock. The number of foxes is reduced in that particular area, problem solved for the time being.

Of course, foxes may go back to live in that area, but then they are not endangered, and they are not daft, so hopefully, the wily fox will remain in areas where they don't come into conflict and live out their years quite happily. I've seen many a write up by game keepers admiring foxes, and hoping they move on to pastures new, so that they don't become a nuisance, I've never met anyone with the view that all foxes must be eradicated.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
No, a farmer calls in people to shoot foxes when they have a persistent problem, ie a fox that returns and kills livestock. The number of foxes is reduced in that particular area, problem solved for the time being.

Of course, foxes may go back to live in that area, but then they are not endangered, and they are not daft, so hopefully, the wily fox will remain in areas where they don't come into conflict and live out their years quite happily. I've seen many a write up by game keepers admiring foxes, and hoping they move on to pastures new, so that they don't become a nuisance, I've never met anyone with the view that all foxes must be eradicated.
ahh right! well thats very responsible to persecute all foxes in that particular area when they have a 'problem' fox then

why on earth dont they choose predator friendly control! there'd be no need for all this slaughter! but whats the life of a few foxes hey!
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >