Our sister sites
Our sister sites
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Where they stray or feral cats?
They are feral cats. Originally from a farm about half a mile away. We have had kittens in the barn several times
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by abbie View Post
They are feral cats. Originally from a farm about half a mile away. We have had kittens in the barn several times
Contact your nearest Cats Protection branch & they can arrange for someone (or give you tel numbers for trappers) to trap the cats. They will be neutered & if healthy released. Youngsters can be tamed & homed.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
I honestly had no clue that people got so wound up about cats in their garden, prior to reading this thread!!!
My Dad doesn't like any one elses cats on his garden except my neighbours 2 cats, they even come over with the dogs when my Dad has a BBQ and the neighbours join .

I'm not a fan of cats on my garden, not because the dogs eat poo, but they wouldn't hesitate to chase them off and I'm not sure Benjie would just chase them.. but if any of my dogs did anything to a cat on my garden, I would look for the owner and apologise or pay the vet bill.
Jpepper
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Glad I don't have a cat problem. I have a couple certain dogs I keep on a 30' lead one in the front yard and one in the back yard and they catch cats often. I decided to do this one day because I was tired of smelling cat poop in my flower beds near the front door in 110+ degree hot Texas weather.
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Contact your nearest Cats Protection branch & they can arrange for someone (or give you tel numbers for trappers) to trap the cats. They will be neutered & if healthy released. Youngsters can be tamed & homed.
I tried that and they weren't interested

We live in Ireland it must be different here.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Now, I am not in any way a cat hater and would never wish any cat any harm, but I really do have issues with the nightly visitations of three cats.

Having read carefully through this thread, it seems that the majority of people are relaxed about cats coming into their gardens and feel that those who moan are making a lot of fuss about nothing - yes, I can see that it is of little consequence to many, and therefore not worthy of attention. However, perhaps these people could accept that just sometimes it can be much more than a minor irritation.

We have had Jimmi for two years and he is somewhere in his twilight years; we have spent a considerable amount of time, money and stress trying to sort out his many medical problems, including severe food allergies which mean that he can only have fish and vegetables, and major paw troubles which have resulted in him having "thin" skin between his pads. We were well aware of his high prey drive, including cats, and built a six foot wall around the garden (it is a big garden) so that there is no way that he can escape.

Because these cats come in, every single night after dark, and Jimmi goes ballistic even if they are no longer there when he goes out, I now have to take him out on a lead in order to prevent him damaging his paws during his high speed racing around on all surfaces. Not ideal at the best of times, but at the moment when I have back problems it is a nightmare, and you see I would give anything to just open the back door. Jimmi hates it, and when I bring him back in he drives us bonkers because all he wants to do is go back out there. Not long ago, before I started the pesky lead business, he caught a cat just as we were ready for bed and bedtime was delayed by a couple of hours as we bathed all his scratches and bites and waited for his bleeding ear to calm down. Also, every time that he finds and eats the wretched poo he has a flare up of his skin troubles........not dramatic, but enough to be upsetting. We have lost half the fish in our pond to the big hairy cat, as I mentioned in another post.

Someone is bound to say "Oh, you should have trained him not to chase cats" - but the thing is since we brought him home our first priority has been sorting out his medical problems, and at his age with such ingrained habits the training would not be easy.
Jpepper
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Lol at should have taught your dog not to chase cats..... It's really instinctual for most dogs.

Should have taught your cat to stay off my property is what should be said.

Like I said in my post above it's very disturbing and unpleasant when you have company coming over or your traveling in & out of the house and each time you smell cat poop that's been sitting in the sun for who knows how long! That stuff really stinks in the hot Texas weather. Also I don't want some sort of disease brought into my yard from a street cat. My dogs do a good job at keeping the cat population in check though in my yard.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 08:25 PM
This thread, just, well, erm, yeah.

The way I see it, your cat your responsibility.

If you choose to let them out and they wander, fine, but please don't complain if Felix gets eaten by next doors python, yes it's happened, guess who the cat owner blamed, the snake owner, naturally.

I don't mind cats, I've even entertained the idea of owning one, but prob never will. However, I do wish some cats were half as well behaved as some on here say theirs are.
I.E. staying in their own garden, hiding their crap, not just doing it and walking away, etc.

I wouldn't actively encourage my dogs to kill cats, however, if by some fluke, one entered the garden and was captured and dispatched by my dogs, snake, or whatever pet/s I may or may not own, it's not my responsibility, sad as it maybe for the owner.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-03-2012, 08:40 PM
I have read most of this thread, and I am really astounded my the total lack of empathy shown on both sides. I am also very sad that many dog owners are not also animal lovers.

Sadly, we do not live in a perfect world. PEOPLE p us off every day. Dog owners p us off. Dogs p us off. Cats and their owners p us off....

We live in a world full of people, and cats, and dogs, and all manner of other animals. I really don't mind people complaining about serious problems, but really, a 15 page tirade about cats pooing in your garden? (I personally wear gloves when gardening, those bloodly worms keep coming in!)

As an animal lover, I am really sorry to read this. Live an let live, and stop moaning.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
This thread, just, well, erm, yeah.

The way I see it, your cat your responsibility.

If you choose to let them out and they wander, fine, but please don't complain if Felix gets eaten by next doors python, yes it's happened, guess who the cat owner blamed, the snake owner, naturally.

I don't mind cats, I've even entertained the idea of owning one, but prob never will. However, I do wish some cats were half as well behaved as some on here say theirs are.
I.E. staying in their own garden, hiding their crap, not just doing it and walking away, etc.

I wouldn't actively encourage my dogs to kill cats, however, if by some fluke, one entered the garden and was captured and dispatched by my dogs, snake, or whatever pet/s I may or may not own, it's not my responsibility, sad as it maybe for the owner.
Agree totally, If my dogs killed a cat in my garden of course I would try and get in touch with the owner, and if it was injured I would take it home/vets but I would not be paying the vets bill. Same if my cat was killed/injured by a dog in someone elses garden, I would be grateful if they told me/brought her home, but I would not be expecting them to take responsibility in any way, I let my cat roam therefore she is my responsibility.
Page 15 of 23 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 > Last »