Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gaz webber
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-11-2006, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Is this legal? Doesn't it contravene data protection laws? At our local Tesco they have this in the car park and it is basically CCTV camera that photograph the numberplate on arriving and departing. If you go over the allowed time they get hold of your name and address and send out a letter.

I'm not arguing in favour of parking outside the time but surely they shouldn't have access to your personal information via a numberplate???? Talk about big brother! And this is a mere supermarket! What about ID fraud?
I had a letter from them this year alleging that I'd parked at the Swindon Tesco store for five hours, and a bill.

When I rang them and told them that the last time I had been to Tesco in Swindon was five years ago, and at the time I was driving one of their fridge lorries, they as much as called me a liar, so I contacted Tesco themselves and complained.

They rang me back, and told me they had a photograph of my Daewoo, with registration plate perfectly visible. I thanked them for it, and pointed out that the registration number was actually for my Honda motorbike.

An apology was received soon after
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-11-2006, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by leo View Post
It is illegal to deliberately obscure your number plate, or have it very dirty, or remove it, mess around with the fonts, or drive with some of it broken off.
BUT it is not illegal to move your number plate to the extreme right (or left) of your front or rear bumper ... AND it is not illegal to put a six or seven letter phrase where the number plate would normally be ...
lol I like your style. Today, my fickle love is aimed your way....
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Leo, go girl - you are a .

Anyone see the BBC News this morning, all concerned with our 'Surveillance Society' and relating it to ID fraud!!! I mean using CCTV for car parking isn't the same as stopping terrorism or crime. Not that it'll achieve owt but I've written to my MP and Tesco.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2006, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Gaz webber View Post
I
They rang me back, and told me they had a photograph of my Daewoo, with registration plate perfectly visible. I thanked them for it, and pointed out that the registration number was actually for my Honda motorbike.

An apology was received soon after

Daewoo car = Honda bike
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I mean using CCTV for car parking isn't the same as stopping terrorism or crime.
But damn, terrorism has been the best umberella possible for Tony to exercise his megalomanic desires... If any party promised me to undo just 10% of all the changes he's made to personal privacy, civil liberties, and related fields, they'd get my vote. But as I said yesterday, I don't think we'll ever be seeing them again now. Gone.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
But damn, terrorism has been the best umberella possible for Tony to exercise his megalomanic desires... If any party promised me to undo just 10% of all the changes he's made to personal privacy, civil liberties, and related fields, they'd get my vote. But as I said yesterday, I don't think we'll ever be seeing them again now. Gone.
"I can only go one way. I've not got a reverse gear."
Tony Blair
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-11-2006, 06:29 PM
There was this story in the Sunday papers about a year ago:

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/...a_source=&ct=5
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-11-2006, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by royv View Post
There was this story in the Sunday papers about a year ago:

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/...a_source=&ct=5
And updated, but with pathetically futile attempts to curb it, I'm afraid.

And the related links at the bottom, make for even darker reading!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/17/dvla_review/

The figure emerged thanks to a Parliamentary answer which revealed the agency made £6.36m from April 2005 to March 2006 by selling drivers' addresses for £2.50 each. Which means about 2.5m people had their address sold.
I'm in the wrong business, that's for certain!
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-11-2006, 02:41 PM
I saw on the "This Week" programme last night that we are now officially the most monitored and watched country in Europe, with one surveillance camera for every fourteen people. Has crime gone down as a result? I think not...
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Mrs Follett sent an acknowledgement ...

Now for my next whinge ... inheritance tax!
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >