14-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Thankyou.

Mo
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
For what its worth Mo, I would consider you to be an ethical and caring breeder and wouldn't hesitate to point someone into your direction if they were seeking a pup xx
Likewise
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Thankyou again.

mo
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
Likewise
And am on that bandwagon too

All your dogs are Fabulous.. (still need to meet the bubba though!)
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
I feel that I am an ethical breeder breeding to better my breed, I have only bred twice, but the dam was consistantly placed at championship shows, got BOS at Crufts, had all the relevant health tests and passed (the results were published in the BRS, the sire I used were also consistant winners at championship shows, also had all the relevant heath tests and passed, results also published in BRS, the temperments of all dogs involved are excellent(something that I am very keen on) from my first litter of 6 pups I kept two, from my 2nd litter of 4 pups I kept 1,all the dogs I kept from my breeding have been shown at championship shows and are consistanly placed (if I was breeding total crap this wouldnt happen as I am not well known by judges to have an influence on them) the other pups all went to fantasitc homes, and out of the 2nd litter some of the pups I didnt keep are going to be shown (hopefully) they are only 5 months old at the moment, the homes they have gone to are families that had been on my waiting list for 18months plus, I would not breed if I didnt have enough potential families, ALL my pups are contracted to come back to me FOR ANY REASON and not to be passed to any third party, I am in constant contact with all the families from both litters (my first litter was in 2004) I am there for any of the families to contact for any advice,(got a call last night as one of the latest pups got stung by a bee) the pups that I kept from my first litter have also been health tested and clear of any hereditary problems, I may or may not use them in future breeding, but felt I needed to have the test done to ensure no health problems were evident. I did not breed for profit as in both litters I did in fact lose money overall BUT gained pups from both litters. If I was in it for the moneyt I would be banging out multiple litters every year, instead of the litter I bred 2004 and the second one in 2008. I kept all my dogs for their whole life, I would never dream of passing a dog that I no longer had breeding plans for onto someone else, my dogs are my life,my family first and formost.

Mo
Mo is my idea of a good and ethical breeder, doing her best to further her breed too
No attitude of 'I will breed just any old thing, they will sell as pets ''.

For me the good breeder doesn't think in terms of 'I am just breeding for the pet market' but instead takes the view that they will do everything they can to breed the very best examples of their breed and that includes the puppies which go to be pets too. They like Mo have a waiting list of people who are prepared to wait for a puppy as and when she chooses to breed to supply her own need , this to me is quite a different thing from those who advertise in order to compile a list of prospective purchasers then breed lots of litters to order.

NB My apologies if this post is slightly off topic and should possibly be in the 'what is an ethical breeder thread', but Mo's post illustrates what I think an an ethical breeder should be.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Mo is my idea of a good and ethical breeder too
No attitude of 'I will breed just any old thing, they will sell as pets ''.

For me the good breeder doesn't think in terms of 'I am just breeding for the pet market' but instead takes the view that they will do everything they can to breed the very best examples of their breed and that includes the puppies which go to be pets too. They like Mo have a waiting list of people who are prepared to wait for a puppy as and when she breeds, this to me is quite a different thing from those who advertise in order to compile a list of prospective purchasers then breed lots of litters to order.
My apologies if this post is slightly off topic and should possibly be in the 'what is an ethical breeder thread', but Mo's post illustrates what I think an an ethical breeder should be.
Well if you are off topic then so am I..

The bit I have highlighted in bold is also very close to my heart..I waited for nearly 3 years on a list because I WANTED a particular line..these lines were what I wanted based on their EXCELLENT temprement..and I was happy to wait..because I knew the breeders only had the best of the breeds interests at heart..this is what I want in a breeder..Someone who KNOWS what they are doing..

I was "got" for having an affix..but I have never said I will NEVER breed..I have said not in the near or distant future will I breed but never say never eh..and not with the dogs I currently have.. IF in the future I do decide to breed then it will be with pups bought for that intent with the breeders blessing (given all health tests are done etc) and that pup will be shown etc to prove it is worthy..
Not only that I would like to have had a dog of each sex grown into adulthood SO I can advise buyers of what they are going to get..Lola & cruiser are my first malamutes...I would not breed from them as I am not knowledgeable enough...BUT I can learn..and I will learn over the years..ONCE I am experienced enough then I might THINK about breeding...

This is where other breeders fail to put in the thought needed..can they advise, are they breeding from rescue dogs or dogs taken in at a later date?, are they health tested, shown, worked, do you hava an affix, do you have enough experience of adult dogs to advise, can you take them ALL back if the need arises, is your health adequate to take back ALL the pups you ever bred? are you blaming it on an accidental litter?, are you tracing the dogs history to breed out health problems??

There is so much more to it than just having a dog and a bitch and making MONEY>.yes money..not pups.. its only ethical breeders who have pups.. the non ethical ones have £ signs
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-06-2008, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by mcgregorkh View Post
Are you why? The way many ethical breeders have been slated, myself included, lately for no good reason I'm not surprised at all.

Oops I forgot apparently I can't even call myself a breeder because I have never bred my own litter! (Oh I must be suffering from delusions of grandeur to deign to call myself an ethical and selective breeder of quality dobermanns. )

My stud dog is fully health tested, has rarely been used (because I am so strict on what he goes to not for lack of offers). I insist on contracts for the pups he produces, I have a list of people waiting for one of his pups (one person has been waiting for 18 months). I hold myself partly responsible for any pups he produces, he has been placed at Crufts for the last 2 years,and one of his pups qualified too. I view that all of the above has helped to further my breed.

Also Khans temperament has changed many peoples view on dobermanns in my home town, I was mad for getting a big vicious dog but now most people love him and compliment me on how well behaved both my dogs are. The downside to that is there has been an increase in people buying dobes and they have got them from puppy farmers and think that good manners come overnight without much work.

Also having a mating booked (via a free ad by the way ) the owner had been vetted and the bitch had all the relevant health checks done but whilst checking out the pedigree and finding that the bitch carried the white gene, he went on to get her spayed on my advice. All of the above have helped my breed imo.
Having never breed a dog in my life and having no intention of doing so, because in my humble opinion, there are far to many dogs of most breeds bred per year as it is, hence why so many of them end up in rescue centres.

I have to say though that I fully agree with the above post.

If you really have to breed from your dogs then what Mcgregorkh did regarding having all the relevant health and a pedigree check done has to be the right way to go.

Lets be honest here, if she had not taken those all of precautions then there would be another bunch of dobe puppies running around with the white gene in them.

In my book the sooner people start to take a lot more notice of the paper work and do all the required checks, the sooner we can eradicate all the undesirable genes for good.

Something else I do to try and help further my breed is support the Dobermann Club UK in any way I can in trying to get some legislation put into place to stop just any Tom, Dick or Harry from breeding their dogs. I believe that all breeders should be registered and should have to go on a course to get that registration certificate regardless of the breed, and that each puppy must have a unique registration number that is related to that breeder. Also no one should be allowed to breed their dogs until they have a certificate from a vet to say that their dog has been health checked.

This would not only cut out those stupid crossbreeds that people have just for fashion, but it would go a long way to help eliminate all of the undesirable genes and traits in the different breeds.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Ohhhhh wanted to add...

Malamutes are prone to long coats which is undesirable in the breed..(although totally gorgeous)

And there is a test to see if the dogs carry the long coat gene and therefore avoid having long coated pups..
SO that will help breed that out..
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
I was "got" for having an affix..but I have never said I will NEVER breed..I have said not in the near or distant future will I breed but never say never eh..and not with the dogs I currently have.. IF in the future I do decide to breed then it will be with pups bought for that intent with the breeders blessing (given all health tests are done etc) and that pup will be shown etc to prove it is worthy..
Hi Louise to me having an Affix has nothing to do with breeding, it is a way of identifying a group of dogs as belonging to you, its 'your family name' .
I know a few people who have an Affix (or suffix) and have a number of dogs they show but have no intention of breeding.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Louise to me having an Affix has nothing to do with breeding, it is a way of identifying a group of dogs as belonging to you, its 'your family name' .
I know a few people who have an Affix (or suffix) and have a number of dogs they show but have no intention of breeding.
YAY someone else who understands that I have nothing to hide or anything sinister going on..

Thats exactly what it is to us Mini..a collective name for our dogs..(I havent' even officially added it to Cruisers name, nor did I add it to Seiko's..so that shows a huge intent doens't it! )
Page 5 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »