Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I haven't been involved in breeding for many years, but some years ago I was a junior partner in a small show kennel. Health testing was only just coming in at that time.
We bred from only the best dogs which conformed to the breed standard.
We also helped to found a breed club for one breed by holding events to raise cash (we held a hotpot and pie supper once for 200 people).
A number of our dogs went to found other show kennels and we mentored new owners teaching them about the breed/trimming/showing/selecting breed lines/offering help with whelping. One person went on to get reserve best in show at Crufts, another became the secretary of a Championship Show. We bred many dogs who became Champions both here and abroad.
When puppies were sold as pets we taught the owners to trim if they wished to learn, or took back dogs back to trim if they were in the area. We also took back and boarded our own dogs when the owners were away.
Looking at current pedigrees in two breeds I can see the progeny of dogs we bred and know they played a part in producing some of the lovely dogs we see today
I am greatly indebted to the very knowledgeable people who took the trouble to teach me about a number of breeds. I hope over the years I have been able to share the things I have been taught with those who also wished to learn.
Great post.
You've picked up on a very good point as well. People can be in a breed for years and have little to no litters, but it is so useful to use what you have learnt in that breed and pass it on to people. That in itself is helping the breed, making people aware of the breed, the health issues, the temperament of each breed etc. Sometimes you are doing the breed a service by persuading people that your breed isn't for them
pam
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-06-2008, 12:08 AM
Well ive bred but only if i wanted a puppy to keep for myself,but having said that ive bred from breed standard bitches and all health checks carried out,then i studied the various stud dogs and always found one that would compliment my bitch to rule out faults on both sides.
In my last litter i kept 1 boy and he is a pet although he has a excellent pedigree,he wont be used although ideally he would carry on my lines.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2008, 07:30 AM
I honestly don't think the litters I have had have actually furthered the breed in any way.. I don't sell to show homes, unless they are pet homes also, although I did exceptionally well with the boy I kept from the first litter (I never won tickets with him but he was consistently placed and won his classes at championship shows, including Crufts).

I bred from a dog and a bitch that I thought were excellent specimens of the breed, both had the relevant health checks and I had been showing the breed for over 15 years before I had my first litter.

My aim was to produce happy healthy pups that were similar to their parents and that would be a joy for their new owners. This happened and I am pleased to say that the same line of thinking was used for my second litter. The dog I kept from that litter unfortunately had to be neutered at a young age but at the only show he attended...a breed championship show, he was placed in a large class...enough to tell me that I had got it right with regards to looks, soundness etc. I never showed any of my dogs after that due to financial reasons.

The most recent litter I had, (my third and final), were only born because the breeder of my bitch owned her in partnership and wanted a litter from her. I already knew that I wasn't keeping anything so that went against my principles, but even so, both parents were health tested. Only two pups survived, one is in a pet home and the other has been kept by the breeder of the bitch, they are only just 3 months old so early days to proclaim anything about them, but my gut instinct tells me they are crackers, had I been in a different situation the boy pup would have stayed with me and had a show career, (he was good enough in my eyes when I last saw him, but changes can occur obviously).

So, in answer to the OPs question, I haven't done anything to further the breed, but I did keep it at the good level that I started with, I don't think my breeding stint detracted from the lovely breed in any way.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2008, 08:48 PM
It just goes to show , doesnt it that those who condem others are the very ones doing what they condemed us for , And they call them selves ethicle and responsible well that is the funniest thing of all , Maybe they should remember there faults before trying to tar others with the same brush
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by dollyknockers View Post
It just goes to show , doesnt it that those who condem others are the very ones doing what they condemed us for , And they call them selves ethicle and responsible well that is the funniest thing of all , Maybe they should remember there faults before trying to tar others with the same brush

Or you read people's websites and try and tar them with the same brush you were painted with.. and take everything out of context, make up your own wee story and suddenly I am breeding pups from a spayed rescue bitch and a neutered dog and all because I gave a rescue dog a posh name
Whats the saying.. "Methinks thou doth protest too much"
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Or you read people's websites and try and tar them with the same brush you were painted with.. and take everything out of context, make up your own wee story and suddenly I am breeding pups from a spayed rescue bitch and a neutered dog and all because I gave a rescue dog a posh name
err pot calling kettle ring a bell
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
I dont protest at all hun, I have done nothing im ashamed off oi have only ebver bred two litters two years apart from two different bitches , what is there to protest about .I was not tarred with any brush that im aware off
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by bajaluna View Post
err pot calling kettle ring a bell
EH?? what does that mean??

I am not anything like any breeder you know..NOR would I ever like to be..
so how is that pot and kettle scenario?
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-06-2008, 10:22 PM
QUOTE=Borderdawn;1406124]I dont see it as a waste, and if you were familiar with the show or working world, you will know that there are hundreds of people, probably thousands that do have an affix and have never bred a litter, its a way of associating people with the dogs they own and show. For example if Border people saw "whatever of Emblehope" They'd recognise it as a dog that was owned by me, not bred by me, as its "of" Emblehope and the affix is not at the front.

I think youre just having a dig at people and you are making yourself look very silly and clearly have little understanding of matters you are posting on. I think, given this statement by you in another thread:
I dont think many people will be paying attention to you anyway, do you?[/QUOTE]

like I said fair enough reason but for a rescue,my rescues are dingo bing and scrappy doo no illusions there,no showing either
having a dig yep you are right,dont like it coming back at ya do you
I dont have any delusions about myself and dont mind looking silly at all someone has too
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2008, 10:24 PM
Well you can safely know you have done yourself no favours.
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »