Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2013, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
Hi Julie isnt going out to breed Tea-Cup chihuahua for loads of money,she is keeping the pups as they only have very small litters,so why jump on her,we are all aware of the breeders out there who dont give a dam what they are breeding,I had a dalmation who after her first season I was going to spay her but she got an infection,so we decided to wait,that was a mistake,as right up to her being spayed,she kept having false pregnancies,her nature changed,before she would allow the resident cat to lick her bowl,she became snappy and dog aggressive,a far cry from the soppy daft as a brush dog we had before,she never really changed.So depending on the bitch as every bitch is differant you make the judgement on your bitch'es temprement which as a responsible dog owner you would know if she will be a good mother and have healthy pups, Border havent you just had a litter? so I would expect you to be understanding where Julie is coming from.Gemini54
Hi I believe that you should be able to ask a question and to have it answered fairly without being judged,we all have issues regarding Breeding,and because someone is giving that subject some thought,we shouldnt blow that person out of the water.
This very subject was brought up in my family,my step granddaughter has been asking since she was 13 to have a dog,but the answer was always negative,instead of sitting done and talking it over and coming up with real answers as to why not it became a battle,sadly a little puppy died,a bad breeder made more money and my step granddaughter has left home and is becoming a real worry,its now tatoos and piercings,although the stable where she works has had a word,as she travels with horses and has dealings with the clients and it is not a good look,so she was given a reason why,she went away and stewed over it and has taken it on board,If only someone in the family had done that given her a positive reason,instead of having a full scale battle which has ended up with a child leaving home and not being able to look to her family for support,as she feels that no one listened,so she has cut herself off and she now feels that she is on her own and that is very sad.Gemini54
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2013, 08:26 AM
I remember you posting about that at the time and wondered how it all ended but didn't like to pry. It's sad she cut herself off, but things can change as she grows up more I would guess she will make contact again and want to be part of the family.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2013, 08:33 AM
I have an interest in this thread,totally ignorant on the whole subject obviously so I thought I could learn from it.I understand the points made against Julie breeding Betty and keeping the litter,all valid points,not a good idea and that's fine.
What I don't understand is how the advice has now turned to Julie not breeding Betty at all.What would be wrong with keeping one pup from the litter?Seems to be the norm in breeding circles or am I wrong? Just seems to be a case of one rule for one and for another its completely different and that's what I don't get.
I don't know Julie personally,but reading her comments on here she appears to be an extremely capable and responsible dog owner.I doubt she would take on any activity with Betty before researching all information and advice which she has clearly proven by posting this thread.
Keeping the litter has clearly been ruled out but it seems breeding Betty at all has also received totally negetative responses.Its hardly a new concept for an owner to want their dog to be the mother or father to their new addition.How come some people appear to have that right and others don't?
Asking purely out of curiosity,as I said I don't have a clue and would really like to know.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2013, 08:45 AM
My guess from having quite recently had to go round to breeders looking for a pup, Betty was fruit of that search, most likely reason is money. Vast profits can be made with selling pups why would anyone want to share that ? Also this improving a breed idea comes up a lot. OK Betty isn't proper conformation for her breed she should have shorter legs and body and should be fatter, she is delicate long legged and has a pretty face and is healthy. The vet says healthier than many of the better bred dogs he sees so regularly. Never a problem with low blood sugar as she isn't "too small" her skull is fully formed and closed so no fontanela worries. For me health and temperament mean more than what she looks like.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2013, 05:14 PM
Julie.
Please dont be so sensitive! Its a contentious subject and you did ask for peoples opinions.

Trouble.
OK, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Gemini54
To keep an entire litter would be ridiculous. How about if they started fighting later on? Perfectly possible!! What happens then?

Yes I have just bred my first litter in 25yrs of showing dogs! NOT from a pet, (alone) from a bitch who has won 7 CC's and 4 res CC's. She has good conformation, movement and character, a LOT of which is immaterial to a pet owner, likewise an undershot jaw, and any number of other conformation faults which may well be exacerbated in the next generation, then what? Oh its ok they are just pets! Think about that!!

In my opinion, if you need to ask "should?" The answer is most definitely NO!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2013, 07:56 PM
And in my opinion should is a perfectly adequate word when you have not made your mind up either way and are asking people you thought of as internet friends for their help to decide if it would be the right thing.

Sensitive ? selfish and hypocritical I really am finding out a few things here.

I also think as I have said several times we could be in peril of turning people away from dogsey if they are answered as I was, I am fairly thick skinned and have been a member a long time, but people join to ask questions and some of the responses could have made them run and do exactly the opposite of what I decided. Only a couple of posts actually gave me real food for thought.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Then perhaps Julie you shouldnt have asked for peoples opinions if you only wanted to hear the nice fluffy stuff! I mean come on! If you genuinely think people will be turned away by people telling the truth then thats entirely up to you, however you are talking to several people on here that have done this and are giving you the truth whether you like it or not!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2013, 06:11 AM
That wasn't what I was saying at all and it was the people who treated me like I could take the truth about what happened to them that made up my mind. Talking of improving breeds and if you ask you shouldn't be doing it did nothing to persuade me at all. And I doubt I would be alone as people are still wondering why it's ok for some people to be breeding and others not, and why the idea someone wants beloved pets is not ok but someone who breeds for profit so wonderful.

Fluffy wasn't what I wanted, people who talked to me honestly trying to help me make the right decision for Betty was what I was seeking.

Also saying not to ask the question is dangerous surely we should on dogsey be open to anyone who has a question ? If we turn people off asking even the most basic or stupid question we are doing their dogs a big disservice.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2013, 06:17 AM
Hi Truth has many guises,some people really dont want to hear and are going through the motions,and will just go for it despite what has been said,I always feel that when people ask,you should give them a reason why,and not dress it up.But at the end of the day if that person is hell bent,all you can do is leave the gate sligtly open,so that they can return and we as a forum can then be there if things go wrong,but shutting the gate and undermining a person isnt the way to go,they will feel resentful and the forum will be the last place they will go in future Gemini54
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2013, 06:23 AM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
I have an interest in this thread,totally ignorant on the whole subject obviously so I thought I could learn from it.I understand the points made against Julie breeding Betty and keeping the litter,all valid points,not a good idea and that's fine.
What I don't understand is how the advice has now turned to Julie not breeding Betty at all.What would be wrong with keeping one pup from the litter?Seems to be the norm in breeding circles or am I wrong? Just seems to be a case of one rule for one and for another its completely different and that's what I don't get.
I don't know Julie personally,but reading her comments on here she appears to be an extremely capable and responsible dog owner.I doubt she would take on any activity with Betty before researching all information and advice which she has clearly proven by posting this thread.
Keeping the litter has clearly been ruled out but it seems breeding Betty at all has also received totally negetative responses.Its hardly a new concept for an owner to want their dog to be the mother or father to their new addition.How come some people appear to have that right and others don't?
Asking purely out of curiosity,as I said I don't have a clue and would really like to know.
Hi You may not have a clue,but you would at least listen,and not make judgements,so that a person doesnt feel stupid and if things do go wrong,they can still feel that the forum is the place to go for help and advice.Gemini54
Page 6 of 15 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »