View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2013, 04:40 PM
Slight diversion from the thread sorry.....I've never thought about it really before but now I do think about it, growling or attacking dogs do not do so with their eyes shut.
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
God I'd be furious if that was my dog! It's so obviously sneezing! My friend noticed a picture of her Akita used to highlight an article about an Akita that bit a child when the child tried to stroke it when it was tied up outside a shop. My friend was livid particularly as her Akita has quite unique markings and she has built up a very good business in dog walking, day car and holiday boarding with all sorts of dogs coming to her home. The last she needed was one of her dogs being linked with an aggressive incident. Journalists are so irresponsible it makes me mad!
right about that
I just think NO CHILD has to stroke ANY DOG they aint really familiar with!

and right that is the job of the parents even not to do so!

my dog actually really does not like kids at all
might it's the Pekinese in her which normally cannot really cope with clumsy handling
or as she also never got used to them?
so she never made a bad experience with kids

but how often those kids run over to her because she is "oh soooo sweeeet"
I can tell their parents (if they are with them) that they should keep their kids away, but some really don't care about their antiauthoritarian raised brats and than get at me, when my dog gets angry
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by Malpeki View Post
right about that
I just think NO CHILD has to stroke ANY DOG they aint really familiar with!

and right that is the job of the parents even not to do so!

my dog actually really does not like kids at all
might it's the Pekinese in her which normally cannot really cope with clumsy handling
or as she also never got used to them?
so she never made a bad experience with kids

but how often those kids run over to her because she is "oh soooo sweeeet"
I can tell their parents (if they are with them) that they should keep their kids away, but some really don't care about their antiauthoritarian raised brats and than get at me, when my dog gets angry
Both my dogs love kids and today, unusually for us, everybody wanted to say hello to both Tonks and Remus...which was nice....but we had one kids come over by herself. She did ask if she could stroke them and we said it a fine but to watch they didn't get her ice cream. She then noticed that they were watching her ice cream as it moved up and down and then proceeded to tease them with it! Moving it up and down and forwards and back going 'oooooo oooo oooo' and laughing! No parents anywhere. I explained that that was teasing.tha didn't work, so then I asked her where her parents were and to,d her she better go back to them and not to tease dogs!
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-08-2013, 06:07 PM
Both my dogs love kids and today, unusually for us, everybody wanted to say hello to both Tonks and Remus...which was nice....but we had one kids come over by herself. She did ask if she could stroke them and we said it a fine but to watch they didn't get her ice cream. She then noticed that they were watching her ice cream as it moved up and down and then proceeded to tease them with it! Moving it up and down and forwards and back going 'oooooo oooo oooo' and laughing! No parents anywhere. I explained that that was teasing.tha didn't work, so then I asked her where her parents were and to,d her she better go back to them and not to tease dogs!
oh well, here you got another point

how funny to tease dogs ...as long as they keep patient
but what a drama if one of yours had only snapped for the ice cream?
not once even touched the hand?
but the kid certainly were been scared badly, had screamed like mad maybe? ran away...
others see that and what?

WELL! just typical for those dangerously dogs like in the news papers showed

how idiotic

but that on the BBC news?
we use to have a news paper called "Bild"
might will be the similar to "The Sun"?
rather would fit to them

maybe I should post them a pic of Balou
one like this?

or that?

as she certainly is more "dangerous" like the most Staffies I heard of here or got to know
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2013, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Malpeki View Post
oh well, here you got another point

how funny to tease dogs ...as long as they keep patient
but what a drama if one of yours had only snapped for the ice cream?
not once even touched the hand?
but the kid certainly were been scared badly, had screamed like mad maybe? ran away...
others see that and what?

WELL! just typical for those dangerously dogs like in the news papers showed

how idiotic

but that on the BBC news?
we use to have a news paper called "Bild"
might will be the similar to "The Sun"?
rather would fit to them

maybe I should post them a pic of Balou
one like this?

or that?

as she certainly is more "dangerous" like the most Staffies I heard of here or got to know
That's very true. Exactly why I asked her to go away..especially as if she got the two dogs close and was waving her ice cream about, one (probably Remus as he was getting hungry and doesn't cope well with hunger) would probably have snapped at Tonks ..and she might have told him off (which can be very noisy coming from a staffie!) and then, once again, it might be seen as a staffie attack.
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-08-2013, 06:14 PM
...or maybe I should get a pic of her, when a stranger comes near to the lorry

then you should see her, when she's defending the cab that no one comes in

they can use that then
and not make Staffies bad!
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-08-2013, 06:28 PM
That's very true. Exactly why I asked her to go away..especially as if she got the two dogs close and was waving her ice cream about, one (probably Remus as he was getting hungry and doesn't cope well with hunger) would probably have snapped at Tonks ..and she might have told him off (which can be very noisy coming from a staffie!) and then, once again, it might be seen as a staffie attack.
Straight! of course!

Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2013, 08:23 AM
Before I read the rest of the serious stuff...that really made me chuckle! I only know one person with a bum as big as those photos....unfortunate really as her body seemed quite small!
Hi Talking about big bums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqOh4z2ASdk

Gemini54
silhouette
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-08-2013, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
I think first and foremost using a staffie in an image such as this gives the impression that they're unsafe and therefore could "justifiably" be put on the dangerous dogs list. Staffies are not dangerous to humans - in the wrong hands ALL dogs are potentially dangerous to humans.

I think a number of things sprung to mind for me on reading the article, firstly the suggestions were reasonable to any responsible dog owner - keep them under control at all times, fair enough, makes sense.

7 humans (not reading the article at the moment so I'm guessing from memory) have been killed by dogs. 6 of them were children. Now that is too many - but is minute compared to the number killed by neglect or cruelty by their caretakers, car accidents, preventable illnesses and accidents. The other thing that amazed me was that only £3m is spent by the NHS on dog bites - again given the NHS budget that is very very small - compared to the amount spent on sports injuries, food, alcohol and drug abuse (and injuries resulting therefrom), preventable diseases and accidents.

Dogs are not dangerous per se - their damn owners are!!!
I agree and I don't. If all dogs are dangerous in the wrong hands then sbts are too surely? You can't have it both ways and it still make sense. I know what you are saying though.

It also bothers me how in these discussions genetics gets completely ignored. Its like only nurture has an effect on behaviour not true.
Saying all sbt are not dangerous is like saying all Labrador's are not dangerous nonsense.
Individual dogs are dangerous like some people.
And some breeds are bred to be predisposed to certain behaviours.
Ignorance of that fact can be just as dangerous to dogs and people.
The media might use inaccuracies to fuel fear.
But using inaccuracies to counter inaccuracies does not help the argument.
It only weakens it.
And that will not help dogs.

Alex

PS
Agree with your view on the statistics the media likes to ignore perspective.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by silhouette View Post
I agree and I don't. If all dogs are dangerous in the wrong hands then sbts are too surely? You can't have it both ways and it still make sense. I know what you are saying though.

It also bothers me how in these discussions genetics gets completely ignored. Its like only nurture has an effect on behaviour not true.
Saying all sbt are not dangerous is like saying all Labrador's are not dangerous nonsense.
Individual dogs are dangerous like some people.
And some breeds are bred to be predisposed to certain behaviours.
Ignorance of that fact can be just as dangerous to dogs and people.
The media might use inaccuracies to fuel fear.
But using inaccuracies to counter inaccuracies does not help the argument.
It only weakens it.
And that will not help dogs.

Alex

PS
Agree with your view on the statistics the media likes to ignore perspective.
The thing is, this thread is about how dangerous dogs are towards humans. Genetically all pitbulls and staffies are predisposed to show more aggression towards other dogs. This means their bite threshold is lower towards dogs. They're more easily triggered into showing dog-aggression. However, their bite threshold towards humans is bred a lot higher than many other breeds. The handlers and vets had to be able to get close to those dogs after a fight and look after them without getting bitten. Also, the handlers had to be able to break up a fight between two dogs without them turning around against them.

So, when the media says that pitbulls and staffies and any other 'fighting dogs' are potentially more dangerous for humans because of their genetics it's utterly wrong.
They were bred to be excellent people dogs, and anyone with a pit/amstaff or staffie will confirm that.

The problem now is that a lot of people breed in their back yard from any dog, without having its temperament or health checked. And that muddles the genes, some dogs that have shown aggression towards humans might be bred from and pass that predisposition on to her puppies.
It doesn't mean that those puppies will be aggressive towards humans, but they might be more likely to show aggressive behaviour when triggered (for example through punitive training methods, rank reduction programmes, stress etc.)

Because they are a strong breed and have that history of 'fighting' (even though it's only been dog on dog fighting, not like other molossoids and war-shepherds, ridgebacks etc who've had a history of use against humans), people sensationalise it when there was an attack. Their attacks are usually worse than other dog's attacks, because of their sheer strength. But those attacks could have been prevented with the right training methods and the right management. And that's something the government should work on. And compared to the numbers out there, the actual number of staffies or pit bulls who have shown aggression towards humans or have bitten someone is small.
Why didn't they put a picture of a jack russell in the article? After all, the second most recent death from a dog was caused by a jack russell..
Page 5 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »