Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Ah, I see so there are degrees of abuse then...........

What about the gundog trainers who use ecollars then, and also whip and kick their dogs?

Is that comparable?
Absolutely. I am sure both sports are level pegging with their number of penis extension men (and women). In fact having had the displeasure of witnessing gundog trainers akin to what you describe first hand, the two most malicious trainers were actually women and not men.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Absolutely. I am sure both sports are level pegging with their number of penis extension men (and women). In fact having had the displeasure of witnessing gundog trainers akin to what you describe first hand, the two most malicious trainers were actually women and not men.
Thank you.

I am sure we all agree that what was shown in the video was sickening and unacceptable.

However I would like these sort of posts to be focusd on the BEHAVIOUR by the INDIVIDUALS witnessed rather than using it as stick to beat a particular breed/group/discipline with.

It is not necessary, is not true and is unfair.

Cheers
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 12:10 PM
I think it is all too easy to witness a few individuals within a sport/group/section of society and believe that is the norm. I have regularly heard the opinion that sheepdogs are just treated as "tools of the trade", and yet there are many shepherds out there who respect and care for their dogs as if they were a member of their family. Police dog handers often get tarnished with the reputation of being "old school" and use "crank and yank" methods of training.

There is no doubt that there are "macho", "egotistical" types within the schutzhund sport - you only need to read the K9 Protection forum to witness that. However, that does not mean that everyone who takes part in such a sport is the same, or indeed that such characters would actually physically abuse their dogs to get results.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

28-09-2012, 12:31 PM
It's dog abuse plain and simple - and it does make you wonder how systemic this type of abuse is in these sorts of 'sports'?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 12:34 PM
If somebody witnessed that on the local park, the police and RSPCA would be called (as shown by the youth who was caught on camera beating his Fathers elderly GSD).

I was just thinking it's a wonder those dogs still work for their handler but I doubt they have a choice otherwise they receive more of the same, only harsher I suspect.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I think it is all too easy to witness a few individuals within a sport/group/section of society and believe that is the norm. I have regularly heard the opinion that sheepdogs are just treated as "tools of the trade", and yet there are many shepherds out there who respect and care for their dogs as if they were a member of their family. Police dog handers often get tarnished with the reputation of being "old school" and use "crank and yank" methods of training.

There is no doubt that there are "macho", "egotistical" types within the schutzhund sport - you only need to read the K9 Protection forum to witness that. However, that does not mean that everyone who takes part in such a sport is the same, or indeed that such characters would actually physically abuse their dogs to get results.
Very well said.

Dog abuse is systemic in ALL areas of the dog world including showing.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-09-2012, 02:07 PM
OMG I could only watch the first few seconds, the poor poor dog, I am sat here crying, if any of mine made that sort of noise when I was training I would run away and hide. That is dreadful, how can anyone think that is the right way to go about things
labaddicted91
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Urgh. Horrible people couldn't watch
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Very well said.

Dog abuse is systemic in ALL areas of the dog world including showing.
Absolutely!!! I'm sure we all agree that it's no way to teach a dog and the video was disgusting.

There is good and bad in all disciplines and in all areas of animal husbandry.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Yes that clip in no way is showing that one sport in a bad light
It is unfortunatly all across the board in interacting with dogs
Some gundog trainers use lots of corrections - prong collars, forced holds and stuff
I know I have had some agility people removed from shows - and I dread to think what goes on behind closed doors if they abuse their dogs in public
general members of the public abuse their dogs also
unfortunalty it happens all across the board

Way too many people still think dogs need their spirits broken and shown who is the boss - and often that is done agressivly
Page 4 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »