Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I see many more overindulged, overweight, dogs with rotten teeth, rotten manners etc that need addressing or dogs which are stabbed, drowned used for dog fighting and starved etc.

Cutting a few whiskers off (if one chooses to do so) hardly comes into the same category.
Agree totally!!!
Sickmick
New Member!
Male 

12-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
i was alwasy told the wiskers were so they could check if a gap was big enough to get through - so if the wiskers touch the sides gap is to small so dont go. i could be so wrong

the chances of phoebe finding a whole big enough to even get in to get stuck are pretty slim but ild never cut them off. they dont bother me atall. although she dosnt like me playing with them. My dads yorkies go to a groomers and she cuts them off with the clippers and they dont seam to mind
You're thinking of cats with the width thing.

I once heard that a dog's whiskers are as sensitive as a human's finger tips, but this is not due to feeling in the hair it's the folicle which is hyper sensitive.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I am not sure how whiskers help with spatial awareness especially as there must be THOUSANDS of dogs much WIDER than their whiskers!

The nose of a dog hits things first, not its whiskers surely?

Anyway I cannot see it as "cruel" any more than many other things several tree huggers see as "cruel" like having dogs whilst you are in full time work, keeping dogs in kennels etc.

I see many more overindulged, overweight, dogs with rotten teeth, rotten manners etc that need addressing or dogs which are stabbed, drowned used for dog fighting and starved etc.

Cutting a few whiskers off (if one chooses to do so) hardly comes into the same category.

The world would be a great place if whisker removal was the worst thing that could happen to a dog (if indeed it is a terrible thing
)

Well said!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Not read all the replies, so sorry if its been mentioned, but apart from the 'wiskers' at the end of the dogs muzzle there are seven sets (I think, out atm so not got a dog to check with ) around the face, eyebrows, cheek and under the chin, on a normal faced dog these create a circle around the dogs face, allowing them to know where's too small or not, and allowing them to help know whats in a blind spot by feeling, helping them sense their world better, then they have their wiskers at the end of their muzzle which help them feel, there is said to be a part of the brain that is specially for information that is picked up from the wiskers, there was also in the article things like a blind dog who couldn't find her way after having her wiskers removed by a groomer
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 07:54 PM
There was horses who wouldn't eat after the same, and blind cats who could hunt with wiskers but not without, tbh I wouldn't we don't know how it feels, we dont fully understand them, so what right do we have to remove them? I think they look beutiful with them, and don't think we shouls be able to make decesions on things we don't understand based on how it looks and what we prefer because we own that animal, but thats my thoughts on it.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 07:58 PM
When I worked with polo ponies, dressage horses and race horses the whiskers were often shaved off, never known a horse to stop eating because of this though.

New one on me.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Im pretty sure that was what was mentioned, but this is from memory and my memorys screwed can check later but will prob be early hours I get back, think that there was also mentioned that some react like their being shocked or summat (horses that is).
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Have you had personal experience of this or is this something you have read?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 08:14 PM
My personal opinion is if it aint broke why fix it. I cannot see the point of cutting off the whiskers of any animal, whether it be horse, dog or cat.

I dislike chopping anything off my dogs, and would certainly never even consider cutting off or trimming the whiskers. I have noticed that when Ben and Tai are sniffing things - scents on the ground, on the air etc. - the whiskers twitch and vibrate, a bit like telegraph wires in the breeze. Maybe they help to direct scents up the nostrils? I'm off to google!!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 08:15 PM
It was in the article, but my phones touchscreen and two buttons I use a lot are right next to enter, the delete button and then one that lets me do numbers and punctation marks, and if I press enter it sends the first two posts are meant to be one where I mentioned the article, and the second one about the article aswell, all the examples are, but also in the article what I found intresting is rats, if a rat has wiskers and he is placed in a bucket of water he would swim, if he had his wiskers removed he would drown within seconds or minutes, this was done by scienists, if I remember right cause of death was something to do with the heart, but it makes me wonder, I know their not dogs but if that happens to rats, and removing wiskers can stop a blind cat catching prey, how much do dogs use their wiskers that we just don't understand? Had better go now, Im looking anti socail .
Page 4 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »