Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2011, 05:36 PM

Bad bad news. Mirk is poorly

Some of you will have been following the saga of Mirk the old retired sheepdog who I brought home with me in December, on the "Mirk is coming home thread." I thought this new turn of events warrranted its own thread.

Since being home he has had lots of drinking and weeing problems and in the last few weeks has become increasingly incontinent and the last few days has shown signs of an infection in his penile shaft.

Mirk has now been to the vets and was found to have a very enlarged prostate gland. After much ummming and arring, bearing in mind the risks involved in such an old, potentially very sick dog, we decided we would xray under sedation so we would know what we are dealing with. The vet made it quite clear that the drugs alone might kill him and it was with big tears in my eyes that I signed the consent form. As he was taken from me in the vets, my heart was breaking with love and fear for my beloved boy, who I feared I might never see again.

But he came round well . Xrays and scans reveal no sign of his missing testicle and where inconclusive as to whether the very large prostate was cancerous or not. Ordinarily, treatment for enlarged prostate would be to castrate, but in Mirks case the surgery would simply be too invasive for him to cope with so he is to have chemical castration and to be assessed over the next 10 days.

If the prostrate problem is due to testosterone, then it should reduce in size relieving the pressure on his urinary tract causing the weeing and the incontinence situation to improve. If it is cancerous then the prostrate will not reduce and the incontinence will stay the same or worsen.

The incontinence has developed relatively rapidly and severly, so if it is cancerous, then due to the existing size of the prostrate it is likely that I will chose to have him put to sleep very soon. He can not live his life weeing as he walks and liking himself sore. But I simply can not think too deeply of those thoughts just now.

I am devastated. Everyone is. But hoping for the best. Mirk has survived so much in his lifetime and has come on so very well since he come home with me just a few short months ago.

The next 10 days will be amongst the toughest of my life and I hope that you will all send Mirk the very best of wishes that he might be granted a reprieve and some more life to enjoy. He is to have roast beef dinner for his meal this evening to wash down with his various pills and again for breakfast tomorrow morning.

This week will be dedicated to Mirk and we will take him to his favourite places and feed him his favourite food.

Whilst I am soooooo saddened that Mirk is in this difficult place medically, I am so relieved that he is not where he would have been had I not bought him home. At least now he is warm and dry and well fed and is being given pain relief, roast beef, and anti biotics. And he has had so much fun, freedom and love these last few months and has given it all back tenfold. He is simply the nicest natured, most loving, most appreciative dog I have ever ever known.

Please cross all your paws and fingers for him. Thank you for listening.
Kilos'-'Serenity
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-02-2011, 05:54 PM

Fingers and paws all crossed here
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Although I am new to Dogsey ,I have followed Mirks story and it shines out in every word how much he means to you.
It must be so worrying for you not knowing what is going to happen in the next few weeks,but I know you will do whats best for him-which is all we can ever do.
,Even though hes not been back with you long you have given him so much in that time .
I hope he enjoys his roast beef dinner tonight.
We will keep our fingers(and paws) crossed for him.
Big hugs to you both-we are all here for you,whatever the outcome.,
from Maureen
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Keeping fingers and paws crossed here for Mirk(xx) n will be thinking of you all x
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Oh dear hope this turns out ok in the end,but if not take comfort in the fact you have given him a good home for the last few months,Fingers and paws crossed here xx
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 06:12 PM
Fingers crossed for the old lad xx
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Fingers and paws crossed, here x x x
footsieG
Dogsey Senior
Female 

All fingers and paws crossed her too.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

Healing vibes for Mirk. Xx
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Praying for you both and Hugs for you both.
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »