View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2010, 08:54 PM
We can't let Cherry off-lead as she is fear-reactive to other dogs and would charge and head-butt large dogs so wouldn't be too popular with other owners!

She is friendly to small dogs and puppies and we are hoping that after her cataract op next week she will feel more secure when she can see other dogs clearly and read their "signals".

She has lots of exercise and I use a nylon training line to play ball with her.

We tried the tennis court idea and Cherry had a lovely time playing with her kong tennis ball there but was a bit too enthusiastic and hurt her paw pads so be careful! Cherry is 9 and a half but throws her all into whatever she does at 100 miles an hour!

I think she has a more restrictive life than Parker my male Kerry who is fine off-lead and very sociable but I could never trust her and other people's dogs should be protected.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

03-07-2010, 09:20 PM
I use e collars for many things. The sheep is pure avoidance, but used right you can build the recall so the dog comes back regardless (this would be hugely useful for Cain) and you can use them to build confidence in a certain situation as well, basically you associate the scary thing with stopping the sensation from the e collar when they approach it.
This is the same princple as counter conditioning with treats but utilises the survival mode (which dogs already in) as opposed to food drive which tends to disappear under stress.
A video of similar work to what I do.
http://www.connectwithyourk9.com/vid...gression1.html

Adam
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Personnaly I'd never not let a dog off, I have active breeds and I doubt I could walk far enough to satisfy them on lead. Even if I could the behavioural stuff they miss out on would be an issue.

My dogs are high prey drive breeds and rescues. My jrt is super high drive and the collie is a failed farm dog (too chasey). The jrt had a history of people/dog aggression and the collie had never been off the chain (except to work, which was probably why he was mental) But within a short period both were 100% off lead. Both now work as stooge dogs.

I've had clients with dogs with mega prey drive (killed sheep) that with the right training are now fine off lead and totally ignore sheep. One of these was a malamute.

I wouldn't home a dog to someone who wasn't going to off lead it.

Adam
Adam,

quite frankly I'm surprised at you..... if you're a dog trainer I would expect a little more sensitivity from you... MM is in the middle of London with very few opportunities to train her dog off-lead! Her dog obviously has issues, she's obviously down about the whole situation.... and you kick in with your success stories.... and end with a comment that basically says she should never have been allowed the dog....

I think MM is doing her very best to be a great owner... but with no off-lead opportunities in her area getting the dog to the point where it can go off-lead is going to be difficult... even if she does get a training session once a week... if you cannot practice then one hour's training once a week is going to have little effect... I think is great that she's asking advice, and the advice she has been given about looking outside the "normal dog areas" is very good as well.... as is the idea of getting her used to trains and busses in order to get out to the countryside...

but Adam your comments, especially coming from a trainer... hmmmmmmmmmm
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
I use e collars for many things. The sheep is pure avoidance, but used right you can build the recall so the dog comes back regardless (this would be hugely useful for Cain) and you can use them to build confidence in a certain situation as well, basically you associate the scary thing with stopping the sensation from the e collar when they approach it.
This is the same princple as counter conditioning with treats but utilises the survival mode (which dogs already in) as opposed to food drive which tends to disappear under stress.
A video of similar work to what I do.
http://www.connectwithyourk9.com/vid...gression1.html

Adam
What a charming way to treat a living creature...
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2010, 05:49 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
So sorry you had a bad experience, ouch! Poor thing xxx

Our Keisha is now 3 and spends her life 'on a lead'. well, leads, short rope, flexi and long line.

Why? Because she has an IMMENSELY high predatory drive, plays too rough with small dogs and if feels threatened ie; if another dog barks at her, she will growl and snarl back, probably get herself into a fight if she had the chance. She's big and may injure another dog or get injured herself. Her recall is not 100%. And finally because I care about the reputation of the Akita breed and offlead she's not the finest example lol (Zeke IS! I must add).

We can only let her off in enclosed fields, we have one fairly enclosed field around us, one entry and another exit, but will only let her off if it has been a very quiet walk, at a quiet time of day. Sometimes not even once a week.

We fulfill her needs by doing a lot of what you have already mentioned. We do 1-1 agility with her, we hire a local ring out at a training club to do this, we try weekly, we have an hour and it really tires her, she just loves it! Unfortunately we haven't been doing it the last 6 ish weeks ( lack of time with Zeke being so poorly and the heat). She has free run playing in my parents large back garden with their dog, we go on lots of interesting and long walks to new places most weekends, we take her on about 3 holidays a year, she has climbed many a mountain and paddled many a river. We play ball in our garden and on her long line when out...I jog with her (she's GREAT at this!)..that's all i can think of for now.

I detest the opinion that a dog cannot have a happy life on a lead, come and see my little Keisha and tell me that's true. She's also lean and extremely fit! I think a lot more of the dog owners I have met should keep their dogs on leads too!.

Will we ever have her offlead more, i think so, but i just don't trust other dogs, well, owners! And those pesky rabbits and mice she can sniff out from a mile away! LOL.
I'd be happy to come and see Keisha!!

I think over the years we had maybe 3 or 4 dogs that couldn't go off lead for that very reason. I remember my paremnts used to hire an enclosed field from a farmer over in Atherstone (about a 40 minute drive from home) twice a week to let those dogs off lead.

At the moment, I can let Zane and Yiannis off lead but because I have a pup whose recall is about 75% at the moment (she seems to have a hard time accepting she has to come back) I don't take them out together where I can let the boys off but not Jenzi.

I have found though a small field where the Council have just cut the grass where I can see anyone and everyone coming from a long way off. Maybe there is somewhere near to you where you could do the same without worrying about people approaching and Cain seeing them first?

I think some of the ideas you've already had, combined with what others do also means that Cain can have a fantastic life and be very happy, even if the majority of it is on lead.

Laura xx
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2010, 07:51 AM
Well we just had an excellent walk this morning. I got up at 6am, left home by 6.30. It was still cool so we walked up to the one park where I can sometimes let him off. It's great walk when you can do the whole thing as it gives lots of variety. Cain had to heel on the short lead by the road for about 20 mins, then he gets about 20 mins walking on the flexilead over grass. then he gets hopefully off the park then the same on the way home. We still saw several dogs at that time of the morning. Got to the park and.....someone was in there

He obviously has the same problem as us as he clipped his dogs back on lead as soon as he saw us and as we walked by his terriers went beserk. I decided to wait him out though and after about 15 mins they left and we had the park to ourselves

Cain went off lead for a run. He retreived a tennis ball and actually bought it back, which is amazing as he normally gets bored and drops it half way. He chased a tennis ball three times and his squeaky balk three times before he lost interest and kay on the grass panting. See he only needs ten mins off lead with a really good run during a walk to make him happy, he is then happy to be on lead. It's just getting somewhere for even those ten mins.

We had a little rest then I did some training like sit-stays, recall, attention and some heelework and he did well until he lost interest as he was tired and hot. I got the lead our and he trotted over happily and sat so I could put it on, obviously happy to go home lol!

The river was deep on the way home so I let him go in and have a really good swim as it was deep enough that he could lose the bottom. He loved that. Now he's laying on my floor snoring and stinking of river water

if we could have a walk like this just twice a week I'd be happier. Will try again next Sunday. Off to research tennis courts and kennel yards today.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2010, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Well we just had an excellent walk this morning. I got up at 6am, left home by 6.30. It was still cool so we walked up to the one park where I can sometimes let him off. It's great walk when you can do the whole thing as it gives lots of variety. Cain had to heel on the short lead by the road for about 20 mins, then he gets about 20 mins walking on the flexilead over grass. then he gets hopefully off the park then the same on the way home. We still saw several dogs at that time of the morning. Got to the park and.....someone was in there

He obviously has the same problem as us as he clipped his dogs back on lead as soon as he saw us and as we walked by his terriers went beserk. I decided to wait him out though and after about 15 mins they left and we had the park to ourselves

Cain went off lead for a run. He retreived a tennis ball and actually bought it back, which is amazing as he normally gets bored and drops it half way. He chased a tennis ball three times and his squeaky balk three times before he lost interest and kay on the grass panting. See he only needs ten mins off lead with a really good run during a walk to make him happy, he is then happy to be on lead. It's just getting somewhere for even those ten mins.

We had a little rest then I did some training like sit-stays, recall, attention and some heelework and he did well until he lost interest as he was tired and hot. I got the lead our and he trotted over happily and sat so I could put it on, obviously happy to go home lol!

The river was deep on the way home so I let him go in and have a really good swim as it was deep enough that he could lose the bottom. He loved that. Now he's laying on my floor snoring and stinking of river water

if we could have a walk like this just twice a week I'd be happier. Will try again next Sunday. Off to research tennis courts and kennel yards today.
Well done, that sounds like a dream walk Here's to many more!
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-07-2010, 09:00 AM
I'd like Adam to come and train my Beagle and see how far he gets!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by Saffy View Post
I'd like Adam to come and train my Beagle and see how far he gets!!
Adam says he uses very cruel methods, Saffy. He boasts of having used electric shocks on abused dogs.
I hope he`s a troll.
However, he`s also very good at hijacking threads so maybe we could resist his attempts to take us OT?
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-07-2010, 09:18 AM
My dog is very similar to Akitagirl's and has to be on a long line for his own safety, as he has a high prey drive and is also unpredictable with some dogs due to being attacked. A horses lunge is good for large dogs and is stronger than a flexi, and much cheaper. My dog would be dead if he went off lead as has no boundaries and no road sense. Owners also have to take responsibility re dogs which are out of control, as my dog is scared of other dogs now, due to irresponsible dog owners who let their dogs off, when they are not well behaved enough to be off lead with other dogs and people. Better to keep your dog safe, than to regret it.
Page 4 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »