Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
...we have a cracking dog trainer and full commitment so don't worry, there will be no giving up or short cuts. Just need to vent occassionally when it all goes a bit squiffy

no problem.

I'm thinking about trying the long line again in quiet areas to practise his recall

I got really good at sprinting up and leaping on the end when necessary!

My biggest fear is that Cain will hurt another dog or person

have you thought of a muzzle when you move towards starting to let him off? Just in case, I mean. I still use a muzzle occasionally with Daisy in certain situations - it`s more for my peace of mind TBH.

Still very proud of his progress though

That`s great. We tend to let the one step back mask the two steps forwards sometimes.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post
Do you know anyone who has a field or who lives by an empty field that you could borrow every now and again to give Cain some free running space where there won't be any other dogs?
unfortunately we live in London so no fields around here and most people have small gardens like us. There is one park which is totally secure with only one entrance gate which we go to and he can go off lead there. However it takes us 45 mins to walk there and 45 mins to walk back, really too far to go in this hot weather. Tried it in the evening the other day and he was to tired to do anything but lay in the shade when we got there! Plus it's pot luck as to if it's empty or we will be in there only a few mins and someone will turn up. So annoying! I mean he still gets a good long walk there and back but when I've headed there specifically to let him off lead and then we can't, it is sad. I'd say we get it empty on 1 in every 6 visits. Nowhere else us suitable to let him off. London dog parks are over crowded. Wish I could drive then we could go on country weekend walks, even on leaf it would be fun and interesting for him
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Yes... A dog can be happy with life on a lead..my two are fine and they aren't allowed off lead EVER!!! Its not worth the risk imo..
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2010, 04:35 PM
are there any kennels locally that have run areas you could rent out ?? some places do this, and at least once a week or so you could take him there and let him have a good romp about offlead..

Next step if you dont drive is get him trained to go on a train/bus and go into the country for the day..

as I say weekdays Bruno doesnt get offlead at all and hasnt for 7 years since he was 2yrs old.
Weekends he will get off twice usually.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Yes I have a muzzle for him which we used in the early days. I am planning to do some training with him to make him more comfortable with it. When I do finally let him off I will definately use the muzzle at first, even just for my peace of mind! (pictures the faces on the little old lady bigots in my local park if my Cain came thundering up in a muzzle, they'd freak! They already hate any dog bigger than theirs. Despite the logic that he has a muzzle and can therefore do no harm, they'll run off screaming )
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Someone once advised us to find a tennis court that was fenced in. Take her there and play ball so she gets to run about off lead!

It's a thought?
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
are there any kennels locally that have run areas you could rent out ?? some places do this, and at least once a week or so you could take him there and let him have a good romp about offlead..

Next step if you dont drive is get him trained to go on a train/bus and go into the country for the day..

as I say weekdays Bruno doesnt get offlead at all and hasnt for 7 years since he was 2yrs old.
Weekends he will get off twice usually.
I'll look into kennels, good idea. He went on his first train joyner the other day and was great! He even had a cuddle with the male ticket inspector! We are hoping to try and take him off to the sea for a day trip or something, he loves to swim! I think he'd cope fine on the train. He's ok on buses but they do get a bit too busy and sonethings there physically nowhere to put him as he's such a big dog lol!!!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Saffy View Post
Someone once advised us to find a tennis court that was fenced in. Take her there and play ball so she gets to run about off lead!

It's a thought?
Now that's an absolutely brilliant idea! Just have to try no to get caught as I'm sure there's some bylaw against it around here, but that us a very good idea! Thank you
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Now that's an absolutely brilliant idea! Just have to try no to get caught as I'm sure there's some bylaw against it around here, but that us a very good idea! Thank you
Maybe early morning would be a good time, no ones about, and as long as you clear up any doo doo's, I'm sure no-one will really complain
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by Saffy View Post
Maybe early morning would be a good time, no ones about, and as long as you clear up any doo doo's, I'm sure no-one will really complain
Especially at this time of year when it is light at 5am.

Thinking about it, are London parks 'busy' even at ungodly hours like 5am? obviously it is not something you would want to do long-term (getting up that early!), but I can't imagine seeing many folk around at the crack of dawn...
Page 2 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »