Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2010, 01:38 AM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
I think that the reason/argument for removing front dew claws is the risk of damage, (which is , I think, debatable) although with a show or non working dog I think it is done to make the line of the leg down to the foot more streamlined. This was the reason a breeder gave for having a litter of shelties dew claws removed.
As for docking tails, flatcoats are a working breed and tails are never docked - even though they go through rough undergrowth, water, etc. etc. Like springers, their tails are always going and they can have accidents. I concede that springers are a bit lower on the ground, but both breeds often work in a similar fashion. Setters are never docked, but weimerranas and german shorthaired pointers are/have been routinely docked and they are large dogs, same as flatcoats and setters. I am generally against docking dogs, but it would be interesting to know what the breed specific arguments are for docking, as it does not seem to add up to me.
Also wanted to point out that Setters and English Pointers are entirely different from Weims, GSPs and all the other HPR breeds in that they were bred purely to Set and Point game on moorland. They aren't docked as there's no risk of tail damage. HPR breeds and Springers, however, were bred to be used for a variety of different functions, which initially primarily involved rough shooting, which is what causes tail damage. This is why certain gundog breeds are docked, while others aren't.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2010, 09:27 AM
One other reason why traditionally docked breeds are docked is also the thickness of the tail. Many of the pointer/HPR breeds have thin whip like tails that are therefore more prone to damage. If you compare the tail thickness of, say, a German Shorthaired Pointer to the tail of a Golden Retriever or Labrador, the difference is significant.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Thank you for your replies Ripsnorter and Labradork - I think I can see what you mean. I am glad that flatcoats have always kept their tails - I think it is often one of the most attractive features of a dog (certainly with a flatcoat).
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
One other reason why traditionally docked breeds are docked is also the thickness of the tail. Many of the pointer/HPR breeds have thin whip like tails that are therefore more prone to damage. If you compare the tail thickness of, say, a German Shorthaired Pointer to the tail of a Golden Retriever or Labrador, the difference is significant.
Tell me about it, being whipped in the eye by Oscar's tail as I try to tie my showlaces has to be one of the most painful things on this Earth.

Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
Thank you for your replies Ripsnorter and Labradork - I think I can see what you mean. I am glad that flatcoats have always kept their tails - I think it is often one of the most attractive features of a dog (certainly with a flatcoat).
It's a common question tbh, a lot of people don't realise that certain working gundogs are docked because of what they've been bred to do.

I certainly like breeds to keep their tails where possible, I've never really been against the ban, more pro choice really. What I've always been against is the discrimination of dual purpose breeders who aren't allowed to work and show their dogs equally. That part is very unfair, imo, and just shows how little the people that formed the legislation actually know about working gundogs.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
why? if they are properly developed then it is a big job to remove them. dogs do use them not only for holding things and scratching but also when running they use them. they stabalise the foot and removal of them increases the chance of arthritis(sp)
if they are not properly attached they can cause problems, so why not breed for better foot development?
At 3 days old , its not a problem to remove them at all.

As for stabilizing the foot, all the dogs I know of and that includes working as well as gun dogs , none have ever had a problem of stabilisation due to having front dew claws removed.

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I guess its the chance you take, eg many dogs will live happily with them, some will injure them, some will be twisted or need removed later on, thus a GA will be needed,
I have to say hand on heart, my lot cope just fine without them,

do you have a link to the thing about dogs developing arthritis if they are removed?
And mine do, it has never hindered them in the slightest

Its also a point to remember many of the breeds that have dew claws removed (front ones) are short coated and have no hair to protect the dew claw from being damaged

Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I see why working dogs are docked, but dew claw removal I do not agree with, dogs use these when running, there are also studies showing the removal of them can cause carpal artirthitis.

http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/Mestena/dewclawsInjury.pdf

And,

http://leeola.livejournal.com/

I also have two pics, one of Honey running, which would be after she would of used of her dew claws, and another of two NI on a beach which I asked the owner if I could use a while ago.

This is the better picture, both the pictures are natural running positions, but the human eye does not see them as it happens so fast.

You can always find a study to support an argument from either side of the fence..personally I go with hard evidence of the dogs I have known,

Its also a point to remember is that the author of the study is talking about performance dogs, so one would assume she means agility and such, and it could be a factor of "hard pounding" on joints , that have more to do with any form of arthritis than having dew claws removed.

One will always see what one wants to , when making an argument to suit your study?

Not sure of your point Chaz, in the pics of your dogs running, and turning, I could post some of mine (with no dew claws) doing the same, Turing the same and having no difficulty in any movement at all!!

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
getting the gunk out of there eyes can cause many problems if the claw catches on the eye,
I have to agree, getting gunk out of eyes is no less difficult for a dog with no front dew clews to one that has them, infact to be honest the fact the dog has a sharp nail pocking in his eye, I would assume would do more damage than not having them.

It seems to be suggested by some that dogs without dew claws are somewhat hindered in many ways from their cousins that do have them.

Yet as it is already been established that many breeds do not "naturally" have rear dew claws, the argument may be a little flawed, because if you put two dogs together and one has rear dew claws and one does not, then by the argument given the one without will be crippled and unable to move and use his hind legs which is in fact not true at all.

Carpal arthritis may be down to many factors, wear and tear being a prime one.

Same goes for docking, as others have pointed out, different breeds do different jobs along with construction and fur coverage of tail, will play a big part in its protection in the field.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

12-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Tell me about it, being whipped in the eye by Oscar's tail as I try to tie my showlaces has to be one of the most painful things on this Earth.

It's a common question tbh, a lot of people don't realise that certain working gundogs are docked because of what they've been bred to do.

I certainly like breeds to keep their tails where possible, I've never really been against the ban, more pro choice really. What I've always been against is the discrimination of dual purpose breeders who aren't allowed to work and show their dogs equally. That part is very unfair, imo, and just shows how little the people that formed the legislation actually know about working gundogs.

I think that little snippet was more to do with the "upset" it causes the "public" who see "docked" dogs in the show ring.

That's why you cant show a docked dog now if the "public" pay to gain access to the show

Extremely silly in my opinion.

Dogs are still beign docked, legally and illegally some under the guise of "working" and some not.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2010, 04:11 PM
I Disagree with amputating bits of dogs for no good reason
If you are happy with it then fair nuff
The point of the fotos wasnt that dogs without dew claws are crippled - that is just you being dramatic when noone said anything about that
The point is that dog DO use them. When turning when running the dew claws come into contact with the ground
If the dog are bred with properly formed dew claws then they dont have problems with them
If you had read the links properly you would have seen the lady does not mean stability of the dog moving, but the actual stability of the bones in the joint
and yes she is talking about agility dogs, and her point was FAR MORE dogs with the arthritis were seen in dogs with removed dew claws

Of course dogs are going to be able to adapt to the removal
I went to school with a guy who only had 3 fingers on 1 hand, 2 on the other and no thumbs - he coped just fine - should we all chop our thumbs off cos we will cope??

Fair enough if a dog has a good chance of injuring itself if it dosent have its tail docked or dew claws removed - then I can see a point in that (although I think you should look at the breeding, is a dog fit for function if we need to chop bits off??)
But to just do it because it has always been done, because the breed standard says it and because the dogs cope just fine is not a good reason to mutilate puppies

Clearly you feel different - thats your oppinion
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
At 3 days old , its not a problem to remove them at all.

As for stabilizing the foot, all the dogs I know of and that includes working as well as gun dogs , none have ever had a problem of stabilisation due to having front dew claws removed.

And mine do, it has never hindered them in the slightest

Its also a point to remember many of the breeds that have dew claws removed (front ones) are short coated and have no hair to protect the dew claw from being damaged

You can always find a study to support an argument from either side of the fence..personally I go with hard evidence of the dogs I have known,

Its also a point to remember is that the author of the study is talking about performance dogs, so one would assume she means agility and such, and it could be a factor of "hard pounding" on joints , that have more to do with any form of arthritis than having dew claws removed.

One will always see what one wants to , when making an argument to suit your study?

Not sure of your point Chaz, in the pics of your dogs running, and turning, I could post some of mine (with no dew claws) doing the same, Turing the same and having no difficulty in any movement at all!!

I have to agree, getting gunk out of eyes is no less difficult for a dog with no front dew clews to one that has them, infact to be honest the fact the dog has a sharp nail pocking in his eye, I would assume would do more damage than not having them.

It seems to be suggested by some that dogs without dew claws are somewhat hindered in many ways from their cousins that do have them.

Yet as it is already been established that many breeds do not "naturally" have rear dew claws, the argument may be a little flawed, because if you put two dogs together and one has rear dew claws and one does not, then by the argument given the one without will be crippled and unable to move and use his hind legs which is in fact not true at all.

Carpal arthritis may be down to many factors, wear and tear being a prime one.

Same goes for docking, as others have pointed out, different breeds do different jobs along with construction and fur coverage of tail, will play a big part in its protection in the field.
So can you provide a study to show otherwise if its so easy? The pictures are to show where the dew claw would be hitting the ground, so therefore where the dogs who have thenm would be using them. I do wish though that I had a slow mo video of a dog with and without dew claws turning, as that would be the thing that really show the point.

A body, of anything though is like a machine, each part relies on something else, by taking one thing it will have a effect elsewhere. No matter how small, the body isn't the way it is for no reason.

Also how much extra excercise do you think sporting dogs get then normal dogs? I give you working dogs, but many pets have about two or three off lead excercise a day, some sporting dogs are their just for fun, but even if their owners are in it because they live it they wouldn't over do it for the dogs, as such things have to be fun, and I'm betting that any training ring isn't anything like the places that many dogs get walked, long grass, objects, uneven ground, which may be slippy, the list is endless, yes they have jumps etc, but they are man made, not like the great outdoors.

Also if dogs don't regulary use their dew claws then why don't they need cutting as regulary as the normal nails?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

12-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I Disagree with amputating bits of dogs for no good reason
If you are happy with it then fair nuff

Its an opinion based on my own experience of dogs having dew claws removed, like you say , if I am happy with it "nuff said"

The point of the fotos wasnt that dogs without dew claws are crippled - that is just you being dramatic when noone said anything about that

Yes I agree, I was being over dramatic, but it was simply a response to you and others saying that a dog without dew claws is going to be less able to do A,B or C!!

The point is that dog DO use them. When turning when running the dew claws come into contact with the ground
If the dog are bred with properly formed dew claws then they dont have problems with them

Not sure what you mean by that, dew claws on different breeds will all be different, from very small tight ones to larger looser /floppy ones. which of those is correct?? no matter the type of dew claw a dog has his susceptibility to injury ,will be as one, (if he catches it , he can injure it ...

If you had read the links properly you would have seen the lady does not mean stability of the dog moving, but the actual stability of the bones in the joint

I was referring to your comment, not the ladies??

and yes she is talking about agility dogs, and her point was FAR MORE dogs with the arthritis were seen in dogs with removed dew claws

That could be coincidence though ,if she is looking for a support to her argument, she will find one, it would be nice to see other studies to support her claims.

Of course dogs are going to be able to adapt to the removal
I went to school with a guy who only had 3 fingers on 1 hand, 2 on the other and no thumbs - he coped just fine - should we all chop our thumbs off cos we will cope??

But your point is that they cant adapt to having dew claws removed, they suffer the consiquences... does the guy you know suffer more or less arthritis due to having less fingers!!

Fair enough if a dog has a good chance of injuring itself if it dosent have its tail docked or dew claws removed - then I can see a point in that (although I think you should look at the breeding, is a dog fit for function if we need to chop bits off??)But to just do it because it has always been done, because the breed standard says it and because the dogs cope just fine is not a good reason to mutilate puppies

Clearly you feel different - thats your oppinion
Fit for function, is just that, fit to do a job and having a tail docked or a dew claw removed is not going to stop said dog doing what he is bred for, all it will do is eliminate certain injuries.

If your argument is to be followed then I guess we would breed dogs with no dew claws and short tails to be able to work without having bits chopped of, but then again if your argument is correct, breeding out said digits of the dog will hinder his ability to work .

Or maybe it does not make any difference to a dogs work ability at all having dew claws and tails removed.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Well I think it does make a difference
I know of cattle farmers in America who dog border collies tails purpously to make them less agille so they turn in larger circles
Dog DO use their tails, to comunicate and for balance
Dogs DO use their dew claws

Just because they can manage without them dosent mean they should get them cut off

As you fine well know my point about the guy with the missing fingers was to show that you can adapt to things
He dosent run on his hands so less strains on them so less chance of long term damage

I have no idea what you think agility dogs do but mine spend far more time bombing tru undergrowth and taking leaps on uneaven ground while on walks, agiity is only a very small part of their lives
I guess their life might be a little more stressful on their joints than some of the dogs who are never offlead in their lives - but the agility bit of it is very little
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >