Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 06:53 PM

Who knew?

Who knew that finding a rescue and researching them was so hard! I know what I want - there are just so many that fit my criteria and I can't have them all and not yet either - I have to wait till June.

I have contacted several rescues - some breed specific some not, I have been turned down because of my age, "the breed deserves a home with knowledge" - understandable, because I have a male dog who is not neutered.

This is hard. I don't want a puppy - I already have one and one is hard enough. Hmmm - just a moan really - comment if you wish.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Well, many who have rescued say that the right dog finds you, not the other way round. Maybe you are looking too hard Aimee.

Plus, if rescues are turning you down because of your age and various other things then, me personally, I would make sure I had some ammunition to come back at the rescues with. Think of a plan, something to work towards with Louie and any other potential dog. Enrolling in some proper training lessons with a set goal in mind might convince them that age aint nothing but a number. If you could do those Good Citizen awards we were talking about then thats something to prove both you and your dog are at a certain level and you have the correct attitude. You might even be able to arm yourself with a reference from the trainer.

Just a thought that might help sway rescue centres in your favour.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Well, many who have rescued say that the right dog finds you, not the other way round. Maybe you are looking too hard Aimee.

Plus, if rescues are turning you down because of your age and various other things then, me personally, I would make sure I had some ammunition to come back at the rescues with. Think of a plan, something to work towards with Louie and any other potential dog. Enrolling in some proper training lessons with a set goal in mind might convince them that age aint nothing but a number. If you could do those Good Citizen awards we were talking about then thats something to prove both you and your dog are at a certain level and you have the correct attitude. You might even be able to arm yourself with a reference from the trainer.

Just a thought that might help sway rescue centres in your favour.
True - sounds like this Saturday me and Louie should go get our Bronze - they did say we could go Saturday right? Louie did very well on his walk today.. so we might pass it

Do you and Flynn fancy it lol?
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Have you looked at Rescue Review, an advertiser on Dogsey (on the left hand side) http://www.rescuereview.co.uk/
You might find one you haven't tried yet.
Good luck
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Have you looked at Rescue Review, an advertiser on Dogsey (on the left hand side) http://www.rescuereview.co.uk/
You might find one you haven't tried yet.
Good luck
Ahh thank you..

Another reason was that I said I was just interested - apparently if you're not totally into rescuing that dog you are wasting their time - I was only enquiring.. You would've thought they'd be happy to see a few genuine enquires - I put my whole story and everything down - why would a time waster waste their own time?

Edit: those plasticine dogs they have on the site are rather scary..
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Thats a shame, I would have thought that they could have kept you details on file until the time is right.

Re the plasticine dogs, I think they are rather cute lol
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Thats a shame, I would have thought that they could have kept you details on file until the time is right.

Re the plasticine dogs, I think they are rather cute lol
Me too - I mean I told them where I live, that there is a lake and a country park in a matter of minutes away, I only work two nights a week atm so I'm in the perfect position to rescue but alas they hate me lol I'm sure one will let me rescue..just enquiring about some training classes to enrol Louie in - hopefully that will win me points.

Nope don't like the plasticine dogs - scary scary.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 07:37 PM
Lol lol

They don't hate you they have to make really certain thats all.
Something will turn up.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 07:40 PM
I'd love my next dog to be a rescue, but its unlikely it will be.

In previous years i considered a rescue, but then i was too young (at 21 ish most point blank refused me) im nearly 24 now.
The fact that i have a young son with disabilities also goes majorly against me (this i can understand with dogs with no history known, but i even applied for young pups but was told they would be too boisterous)
My age is not so big a factor now, but my son is, it really grates me that alot (not all) rescues just see what they want to- ie. the negatives...they dont read things like my vast experience (for my age) in owning, training and competing large and lively dogs (weims, gsds &bc's...and most of my working time spent at a police dog training centre!), my house and garden which is very suitable and the fact that i have lots of time to give!

I have never found a rescue that would accept me

Mini rant over
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
I'd love my next dog to be a rescue, but its unlikely it will be.

In previous years i considered a rescue, but then i was too young (at 21 ish most point blank refused me) im nearly 24 now.
The fact that i have a young son with disabilities also goes majorly against me (this i can understand with dogs with no history known, but i even applied for young pups but was told they would be too boisterous)
My age is not so big a factor now, but my son is, it really grates me that alot (not all) rescues just see what they want to- ie. the negatives...they dont read things like my vast experience (for my age) in owning, training and competing large and lively dogs (weims, gsds &bc's...and most of my working time spent at a police dog training centre!), my house and garden which is very suitable and the fact that i have lots of time to give!

I have never found a rescue that would accept me

Mini rant over
Oh I suppose if I say that the dog has to be extremely tolerant of children as my OH's brother is autistic would go against me also...

Thats terrible - even I see how suitable you are for a rescue..you'd have thought you'd be the perfect candidate and that they'd be lining up to show you their dogs..

Ahh well maybe the OH is right and another puppy will be on the cards..but not yet - I am determined to get a rescue, I promised myself my first dog was going to be a rescue and it wasn't it was Louie. So to make it up to the rescue dog I should've rescued I will continue to try and find one that will allow me to rescue.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >