Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 11:57 AM
oh!

Yep, thats not very nice at all. Perhaps they really meant the 'types' that wants to own 'types' for the wrong reasons they dont like? That is quite rude. The only Kerry I met was a thug but I don't think all Kerry Blue Terriers are thugs.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

23-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Staffies seem to attract a broad range of owners.

Some examples, rescue bitch, owned by ex police officer.
Another rescue, owned by a home care worker.
Two entire males, owned by a couple in thier early twenties.

They are a very flexible breed so attract a wide variety of owners.

Adam
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 12:58 PM
I think it's like any other dog. It depends on two things...the dog and the owner. I read a lot of posts where dogs are dog aggressive and the owner is doing everything in their power to stop the dogs behaving like this. I don't think for a second it's just staffies.

My father in law always said you couldn't get a dog friendly staffy and he had staffies for years. However, when we got Dougal who is the biggest wuss and will say hello to any dog going around he changed his mind fairly fast.

I have only ever had issues with other dog aggressive dogs, none of which have been staffies funnily enough. German Shepherds, a lab, collies...not a single staffy and I've met a few when we've been out on the wander.
KMB
New Member!
Female 

23-11-2010, 03:34 PM
In reply mostly to GLENALCO recent posts:

I think you are right - hostility from people who judge SBTs because of media hype and BSL will definitely affect the dog adversely but that type of hostility also affects the dog owner, especially if it is sustained 'attacks'. The owner is then under as much stress as the dog within society.

Again, as GLENALCO points out, we should as dog owners/lovers unite, although my dog is not a staffie, and take a stand against sustained attacks from the less educated.

I also like the recent post from LORE as it demonstrates that SBTs (and I believe all dogs) will, like children, behave generally as expected. So, if you believe that a SBT/any dog will behave aggressively, then it probably will sense that - and behave accordingly.

THEREFORE - I do NOT believe that SBTs and dog-dog aggression are linked. I DO believe that it is DEED NOT BREED and I DO believe that dog owners should unite on this point and definitely support each other.
bingblazenskyla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-11-2010, 04:54 PM
havent read all the replies so sorry if i repeat what has already been said - as you can tell by your own post it rly is down to the owners, and how they raise their dog, i own a staffy cross whippet (looks like a staffy but with longer legs) and he was beaten before we got him (and i think he was supposed to be a potential fighting dog/status dog) yet he is the softest most loving dog ever! he loves all dogs and loves playing with them (i think thats y he was dumped) and because once we got him he got away from all that he is now the sofest most loveable dog you could ever wish too meet

its just a shame theres people around that are still giving them a bad name
dave g
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-11-2010, 07:47 PM
It depends on what blood lines the dogs are, there are certain blood lines of sbt that are aggressive and others are not, its the game blood lines you have to watch for and also alot comes down to how the dog is trained..
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Glenalco View Post
The bit about not liking the type of owners staffys attract!!
You have misquoted me-I said I don't like the type of owners they attract IN THE MAIN not all of them! I can only go from personal experience of the Staffy owners we have met as I have a partly blind dog that has to be kept on leash and the number of rude aggressive Staffy owners we have met who think it is perfectly acceptable to let their dogs charge Cherry from the other end of the field/park/heath and then have a go at me is too numerous to mention unfortunately!

As stated at the beginning of my post I had a good experience of a Staffy and owner in my training club so am not tarring everybody with the same brush as you portray.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by dave g View Post
It depends on what blood lines the dogs are, there are certain blood lines of sbt that are aggressive and others are not, its the game blood lines you have to watch for and also alot comes down to how the dog is trained..

That would make sense.
KMB
New Member!
Female 

23-11-2010, 09:37 PM
dave.g post:

Interesting - can you say a bit more about game blood lines.

Would be good to know direct/indirect experience; knowledge - where from; heard from where/who else thinks.

I think I mean please can you back that up but not from an argumentative view on my part - it is interest.

I've said before I don't think so but you might have a point - please repost with whatever - I'm sure I'll cope!!
KMB
New Member!
Female 

24-11-2010, 06:44 PM
dave.g post:

Interesting - can you say a bit more about game blood lines.

Would be good to know direct/indirect experience; knowledge - where from; heard from where/who else thinks.

I think I mean please can you back that up but not from an argumentative view on my part - it is interest.

I've said before I don't think so but you might have a point - please repost with whatever - I'm sure I'll cope!!

Perhaps someone else would care to comment on game blood lines re; SBT dog-dog aggression.
Page 11 of 18 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »