View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Just a quick example. Recently around where we live, a guy was walking his dog and his dog got attacked by a dog belonging to a lady with 3 of her other dogs present. This guy had to go to have plastic surgery on his hand...a nasty injury...and lost part of his finger. Now this lady has a staffie, a collie, a boxer and a small mix breed. Which one do you think got the blame for the incident? I had people coming into our shop saying how staffies were horrible and this staffie should be put down before it killed a child. I had to then tell them that it was the collie that ripped this guy's finger off...not the staffie!
I know this is not really to do with the original post, but it is a great example of breed bias.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I don't see anyone saying it is acceptable behaviour, but it can and does happen.
It most certainly is condoned by many. Its "ok" because its a Cat. Well thats disgraceful to me.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
As I said before, you are very young
If I'm not mistaken Pippam is the same age as me.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
It most certainly is condoned by many. Its "ok" because its a Cat. Well thats disgraceful to me.
I agree it is not acceptable and it is not "only" a cat. But sadly these things do happen in just the same way that dogs attack dogs and I don't mean in organised fights.

A dog attacking a cat often results in terrible injuries because ofthe thin skin of the cat which tears easily and saadly this often results in death due to internal organ damage shock or later infection. None of that is acceptable in my book.

I have a cat who I love dearly I would be horrified if she were to be attacked or killed by a dog but I would nnot want the dog to be PTS and neither does the cats owner in the case of CJay. Yes the owner should be held responsible and accountable but the dog should not, IMHO, be PTS for chasing and injuring a cat, a dog, a rabbit, a pigeon etc
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Who's condoning it? I accept that it's natural for dogs to chase and possibly kill cats but I take reasonable precautions to prevent mine from doing so again.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-11-2011, 11:27 AM
I do not condone what my dogs did - how on earth could I have stopped them? Pereg will rush out to shoo cats away - she is not chasing them to catch them - she could not in any case. She just wants them off what she considers is her territory. The same as she does not like stray dogs invading her territory.

When I rescued Kat she was the only pet cat on the Moshav but I could not keep her in all the time, and she lived a happy life until she fell victim to an RTA.

Some people put out left-overs for the feral cats and then wonder why their window screens have been shredded and the cats come in and raid their kitchen bins, which is why I will not feed them. I do not have any left-overs to give them, but that is immaterial.

I, like Pereg, do not want them in my yard, nor do I want the loose/stray dogs in my yard. I cannot keep them out though, and Pereg is currently on a 10 day course of extremely expensive medication because she picked up a fungal infection from either one of the cats or a stray dog. Something she really did not need in view of her condition.

No. I do not condone her for rushing at cats, but neither will I even attempt to stop her.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Who's condoning it? I accept that it's natural for dogs to chase and possibly kill cats but I take reasonable precautions to prevent mine from doing so again.

This.

Many dogs are not cat friendly. Especially if you bring trespass into it. Lodger would chase. I don't think he'd intentionally damage them - I'm not convinced the dog in the article was looking for lunch either - imagine that cat would have died pretty much instantly if that was the case.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:32 AM
With respect Sosha, you - like me - live in a part of the world where it is highly unlikely (if not unheard of) that any dog would be put down for attacking or even killing a cat.

If they could be - you might think again about not even attempting to stop them.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
With respect Sosha, you - like me - live in a part of the world where it is highly unlikely (if not unheard of) that any dog would be put down for attacking or even killing a cat.

If they could be - you might think again about not even attempting to stop them.

Eh? Wrong person. I'm with the reasonable precaution pack that gets rained on regularly!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Ooops! Duh! Ignore all that then! Not doing very well, just responded on another thread then noticed it had been split! So I pasted my response into the new one only to realise that it bore no relevance at now and was to the original one I was responding to. More coffee required methinks. Anyway - hello from another member who hails from roughly the same part of the planet!
Page 6 of 30 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »