Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
except for cats

It's ok to have a 'natural garden' and live by your insincts UNLESS you are a cat So the Thrushes can come and eat, butterflies....just not feline types...

And how many water voles do cats kill...

You are actually sounding like your whole 'argument' is based on you getting attention on a thread here.......sorry but that's just how you are coming across

So your dogs only chase in select areas? I.e. the garden and not the house

not even going to bother responding to you on this issue any more
By "natural" garden, I mean no unnatural predators ... like cats, dogs and humans!

I try not to do "too much" in the back garden, the boundary fences are heavily covered with natural ivy, briar roses, honeysuckle and some "tame" climbing roses. The borders are cultivated only at the front, the backs are left untouched - this is where the hedgehogs, shrews, voles etc. reside.

The dogs have supervised access to the back garden (it is only very small), mainly to chase out any cat - and no, they do NOT chase the cat inside the house. Any pet (including my daughters pet rabbits and hamsters) were always perfectly safe in the house, because the dogs consider them part of the pack and therefore to be protected, not chased. However, to give an example, Winkle was not safe from the dogs in the garden ... they would chase her.

And yes, if thrushes eat butterflies ... I have no idea whether they do or not, but seeing as they are carnivorous I see no reason why they should not ... then that is nature, just as it is nature for cats to chase thrushes. However, the difference is that the cat does not need to eat thrushes to survive, because she is well fed by her owner, my daughter.

I will continue to chase cats out of my garden, and I will continue to squirt them with my hose in the summer if and when they make the mistake of going up one of my trees to chase the birds!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Excuse me, yes they are!! Shrews definitely, voles - particular water voles - are EXTREMELY rare. My parents live on the River Soar and they virtually write to The Times every time they see Ratty, which is very, very occasionally.
I must apologise ... the COMMON shrew is just that apparently ... relatively common, although extremely rare out in fields. Their habitat is long grass, dense vegetation, hedgerows, woodland ... hence the reason they like my garden!!
Page 30 of 30 « First < 20 27 28 29 30