Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Im not biased at all, please show me another breed that has killed so many people in this time frame or any other.

These dogs are banned in the UK, as I said in my op, sites like this with the statistics to back it up, proves to me at least why banning them was the right thing to do. ANY PB here is illegal, anyone owning one here (to me) should be prosecuted for keeping them.
but 'pit bull' is an umbrella term for a number of breeds, not just the APBT therefore its not surprising the number is higher than other breeds. also, many times it is reported as a pit bull attack when it actually isnt. there was one here a while ago, where it was reported to be a pit bull but it was actually a mastiff! that is common to happen.
Snoringbear
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-05-2010, 05:16 PM
The Ontario figures are interesting:
http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil...tes-worldwide/

1964 - 2010, 45 fatalities, 1 pitbull and about 1/2 of the total being husky/sled dogs.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Personally , I am not in favour of Breed Bans, as it's a slippery slope, I always worry which breed will be targeted next

I do not think it worked in the UK, in the case of the Pitbulls, as I said earlier I can think of several APBT's where I used to live. They just became more attractive to numpties who wanted a hard looking dog
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
but 'pit bull' is an umbrella term for a number of breeds, not just the APBT therefore its not surprising the number is higher than other breeds. also, many times it is reported as a pit bull attack when it actually isnt. there was one here a while ago, where it was reported to be a pit bull but it was actually a mastiff! that is common to happen.
This, exactly. At any point in time you will see the following fall under "pit bull":

American Pit Bull Terrier
American Staffordshire Terrier
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Bull Terrier
American Bulldog

Sometimes you even see Boxers and Old English Bulldogs falling under the "pit bull" category.

Sometimes you see Mastiffs, Presa Canarios, Dogo Argentinas, and Cane Corsos reports as pit bulls.

(Anything I'm missing?)

Heck one person in Ontario had her dog taken away from her and they were going to put him down for being a pit bull. He was a purebred black lab.

They're all separate breeds. It would be like my reporting all shepherds as one group, so that I categorize all bites by GSDs, Australian shepherds, Belgian Sheepdogs, Old English Sheepdogs, etc as coming from ONE breed. It's entirely inaccurate.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2010, 05:17 PM
How many breeds fit this description?

what the law classes as "pit type"

ears folded forward or sideways

muzzle not pointed

broad wedge shaped skull

straight solid front legs

broad deep ribcage

well muscled thigh

long hind legs

tail - low down in hind quaters hangs like "pump handle"

short single smooth coat

height 45 - 55 cms

If your dog fits this description it is classed as "pit type"
Snoringbear
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
This, exactly. At any point in time you will see the following fall under "pit bull":

American Pit Bull Terrier
American Staffordshire Terrier
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Bull Terrier
American Bulldog

Sometimes you even see Boxers and Old English Bulldogs falling under the "pit bull" category.

Sometimes you see Mastiffs, Presa Canarios, Dogo Argentinas, and Cane Corsos reports as pit bulls.

(Anything I'm missing?)

Heck one person in Ontario had her dog taken away from her and they were going to put him down for being a pit bull. He was a purebred black lab.

They're all separate breeds. It would be like my reporting all shepherds as one group, so that I categorize all bites by GSDs, Australian shepherds, Belgian Sheepdogs, Old English Sheepdogs, etc as coming from ONE breed. It's entirely inaccurate.
Possibly breeds you would most likely never meet over here like Blue Blood Bulldogs and Ca de Bou.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
Personally , I am not in favour of Breed Bans, as it's a slippery slope, I always worry which breed will be targeted next
And at one point, I think Italy banned or restricted every dog breed that had bitten at one point. The ban included Border collies, Corgis, and other dogs you would never think would be included.

It IS a slippery slope. I think some places are starting to reconsider the ban. All it does is kill innocent pets.
Snoringbear
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
How many breeds fit this description?

what the law classes as "pit type"

ears folded forward or sideways

muzzle not pointed

broad wedge shaped skull

straight solid front legs

broad deep ribcage

well muscled thigh

long hind legs

tail - low down in hind quaters hangs like "pump handle"

short single smooth coat

height 45 - 55 cms

If your dog fits this description it is classed as "pit type"
To make it even more frighteningly ambiguous you can remove references to height, weight, colour and ears. none of those are in the standard used.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by Snoringbear View Post
To make it even more frighteningly ambiguous you can remove references to height, weight, colour and ears. none of those are in the standard used.
And even more frightening, you can have your dog taken away if it has a handful of those things and is a mixed breed. Lab/boxer mixes are often mistaken for "pit bulls."
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Couldnt give a monkeys about what any of you say, Ill ask you ALL again, find me a breed responsible for KILLING more people, anywhere on the planet.

My point is, I can understand how some people feel about these dogs, and it strengthens my personal view that they are better off banned, here at least. I also feel that anyone found owning one here, is a disgrace and should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law if possible.

Sure, there are many cross types, but even so, what does that tell you?
Page 4 of 26 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »