register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What type of dog do you prefer?
Working type. 21 30.00%
Show type. 6 8.57%
Dual purpose. 37 52.86%
Don't have a strong choice. 6 8.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 4 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post

On a v quick search - THATS what I mean

But then With the collies you have a whole 3rd type......the sport dogs!

Fairley Glamorous with drive & attitude!

Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
For Ben McFuzzyluggs
I know what you mean, but many people could not live with a true working collie - I would like to see a happy medium, especially in a domestic situation - otherwise both dog and owner can end up very unhappy if the working element is so strong.
But then this begs the question that if someone in a domestic situation cannot live with a border collie, then they should look at a different breed?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
But then this begs the question that if someone in a domestic situation cannot live with a border collie, then they should look at a different breed?

I would agree.

Your Working Collies are Very Nice looking Moobli,Much Nicer than Breed dogs, & Almost as nice as mine!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
The problem lies with people altering a dogs appearance to the extreme. The working Cocker is almost unrecognisable in many cases as a Cocker Spaniel at all, and some Springers weigh MORE than Labradors! When we talk about fit for function, you should look at conformation. Take these photos below.

Do you think these exaggerated wide and bowed fronts are normal and/or should be encouraged? these are all working dogs, but if they were Bulldogs you can imagine how people would think how bowed and deformed they were, couldnt you?

From sites:
http://www.mailscotgundogs.co.uk/
http://www.countrywaysgundogs.com/
No in any show dog that wouldn't be allowed at all and I don't like exaggerations, and I don't think that they should be bred into any dog, as thats when problems start to appear.

Although OT, I read this on Rhy's page, poor boy.

Rhys suffered an injury to his penis, in 2004, through a barbwire accident. This was successfully operated on, recently, and he now is back in action, already producing litters, again.
http://www.countrywaysgundogs.com/Sp...ancarwrhys.htm
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Dual purpose for me. The split in WAY too big in Labs. I very occasionally see some very nice looking working bred Labs, but this rare. The best looking ones I find are moderately bred show breds or dual purpose bred dogs. So many of the working bred Labs to me don't look like Labradors at all. Way too light in bone, too long in the legs, no depth of chest, snipey face, fly away ears...for me there is NO point in owning Lab that doesn't look like a Lab.

If people did not maintain breed standards, breeds would slowly lose their identity. I find it sad that I sometimes cannot even recognize puppies of 'my' breed...I saw a woman with a pup when out walking my gang last week and I asked her what he was a cross between. Turned out, according to her, this pup was a purebred Lab. The pup looked more like a Vizsla crossed with Greyhound. Sweet pup, but it didn't look like a Labrador at all. When there is THAT much of a physical difference in breeds you have to start wondering what happened for such a split to occur.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Your dogs are lovely Mish

You can also get very striking, glamourous pure working line collies too

Look up Dryden Joe, Johnny Wilson's Spot, Derek Scrimgeour's Ben etc etc Although beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but these are the type of border collies that the general public think of as "traditional" (black/white, long coated etc).
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Examples of show bred Labs that work. It can be done, I think you will find its the working bred ones that are much further removed from the standard not the show ones.

http://www.wylanbriar.co.uk/?p=p_14&sName=home

http://www.poolehalllabradors.co.uk/...20gundogs.html

http://www.carriegame-labradors.co.uk/beckped.html
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Dual purpose for me. The split in WAY too big in Labs. I very occasionally see some very nice looking working bred Labs, but this rare. The best looking ones I find are moderately bred show breds or dual purpose bred dogs. So many of the working bred Labs to me don't look like Labradors at all. Way too light in bone, too long in the legs, no depth of chest, snipey face, fly away ears...for me there is NO point in owning Lab that doesn't look like a Lab.

If people did not maintain breed standards, breeds would slowly lose their identity. I find it sad that I sometimes cannot even recognize puppies of 'my' breed...I saw a woman with a pup when out walking my gang last week and I asked her what he was a cross between. Turned out, according to her, this pup was a purebred Lab. The pup looked more like a Vizsla crossed with Greyhound. Sweet pup, but it didn't look like a Labrador at all. When there is THAT much of a physical difference in breeds you have to start wondering what happened for such a split to occur.
If that were the case though, why is it that working border collies are still universally known as such, yet they are not bred to any breed standard?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post

This IMO is a nice young Lab. I know she does work her stuff too.
http://www.pbase.com/woodmist/image/105006766

A collection of show Labs doing working tests.
http://www.pbase.com/woodmist/sgwc_10_01_09
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Your dogs are lovely Mish

You can also get very striking, glamourous pure working line collies too

Look up Dryden Joe, Johnny Wilson's Spot, Derek Scrimgeour's Ben etc etc Although beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but these are the type of border collies that the general public think of as "traditional" (black/white, long coated etc).

Derek Scrimgeour's Ben & daziels Wisp!!!!! Im Going to Find a Link To Ben Cos hes lush!
Page 4 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »