View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 08:06 PM
well-although i agree the program was sensationalized- they werent ALL pet bred- hence the cavalier who was still bred and shown after being shown to have the syrignomelia thingy bob(cant spell!!)

Dogs on benches are very rarely if ever left alone without someone looking over them, even if it is one person keeping an eye on a few or so of the breed in the area. Most of the dogs time on the benches is surely spent WITH their owners/handlers waiting around for their classes- most people and dogs i saw were reading books, and the dogs sleeping or just watching the world go by or they were busy grooming their dogs- not that much different from home as you cant be giving your dog attention ALL day.
And as for the smell of pee...what do you expect when the dogs toilet inside?(on designated sawdust areas)
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
Dogs on benches are very rarely if ever left alone without someone looking over them, even if it is one person keeping an eye on a few or so of the breed in the area. Most of the dogs time on the benches is surely spent WITH their owners/handlers waiting around for their classes- most people and dogs i saw were reading books, and the dogs sleeping or just watching the world go by or they were busy grooming their dogs- not that much different from home as you cant be giving your dog attention ALL day.
And as for the smell of pee...what do you expect when the dogs toilet inside?(on designated sawdust areas)
I'm no expert on Dog Shows or what's involved, all I can say is on my visit to Crufts yesterday, towards the end, there were an awful lot of dogs left on their own, looking very dejected, whether or not someone was looking over them for others, I cant say!!!!

That said, I enjoyed my day there, and found it very interesting!
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I for one like and admire Jemima.
She is dedicated to trying to help dogs...I don't see why she gets so much hassle for that.
She has acted as a catalyst to the long overdue changes within the KC that have been happening over the last few months. Brilliant.
I also admire the fact that she is heavily involved in rescue.

The article says nothing that isn't true. It's all true. It does stink of pee a lot of dogs do look bored. Most of the dogs there will live long and happy lives (she says that) but some of the dogs are still suffering. There is also an air of defiance everywhere about her and her programme...a 'how very dare she criticise us'. Instead of people listening/reading. She isn't criticising everyone...she doesn't criticise every breeder, every dog, every show. She criticise the ill dogs that can't walk properly or that are winning high profile shows, despite being riddled with health problems. Good on her.
..and good on you too
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 09:16 PM
I noticed a lot of dogs on their own too, Shaza. Loads of them.

Also heard several tannoy announcements for folk to return to their dogs, including a call for a Basneji who was on it's own and was very distressed. It made me feel really angry and sad.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by MaryS View Post
..and good on you too
Thank you. I genuinely don't understand why people are so upset about what she says. It isn't like lots of other people haven't been saying the same thing for years....what she said, needed to be said and finally the KC is doing something...not enough yet, but something at least.
I just don't inderstand what the problem with that is. I like her.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Have to admit I didn't hear any tannoy requests, mind you I was probably too busy talking...
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by shaza View Post
Have to agree with yiou there!!! It was my 1st time at Crufts, and I have to say I felt quite sorry for some of the dogs sat in their pens, benches or whatever you would like to call them!!!!
People will see what they want to see...

If you want to see a bored dog you will see one.

Personally over the 3 days I was there, I saw many dogs , some sleeping , some sitting wrapped up in children, some in pens with other dogs , some bored ones... but I am just looking at one of mine laying on the sofa.. he has that bored look on his face that would give any of those dogs a run for their money.

As for the noisy ones... some dog are just noisy..and it can also breed persific...go round the Mal/Husky pens...and you will hear noise..

Originally Posted by shaza View Post
I'm no expert on Dog Shows or what's involved, all I can say is on my visit to Crufts yesterday, towards the end, there were an awful lot of dogs left on their own, looking very dejected, whether or not someone was looking over them for others, I cant say!!!!

That said, I enjoyed my day there, and found it very interesting!

I can, believe me, no dog is just left on their own... shoe people know each other, someone will be keeping an eye on other peoples dogs..

Don't forget , while you where going round the show looking and feeling sorry for all these poor dogs left on benches..

Ask your self why they have to spend so long on those benches... from 8a,m till 4 pm.

So WE the public can go round and view all these poor dogs.

At any other show in the country , a dog can go home as soon as it has shown.

But then, there would be no dogs for US to go and feel sorry for if they could be taken out sooner.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

08-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Double posted
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Have to admit I didn't hear any tannoy requests, mind you I was probably too busy talking...
I heard three, my friend also heard them. There are bound to have been more. Three are three too many. That was on Thursday.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

08-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I noticed a lot of dogs on their own too, Shaza. Loads of them.

Also heard several tannoy announcements for folk to return to their dogs, including a call for a Basneji who was on it's own and was very distressed. It made me feel really angry and sad.

I heard that one... mind it was the only one I heard over the 3 days of being at the show...

How do you know those dogs are on their own...do you define that because there is no one sitting with them

How do you know that the person talking to someone a couple of benches down from the dog on its own, is not the owner??

Are you saying , that whole rows of benches have no people around.??

As that can be the only way you can know that the dogs are left alone.
Page 4 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »