View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2005, 02:32 PM
I've got one of those plastic seed feeders with holes on the sides at the bottom. We recently seem to have acquired a squirrel - would he be interested in tipping the feeder up and pouring the seeds straight into his mouth, or will he be far more interested in my neighbour's ornamental apple tree?!
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2005, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Fluffybunny
I've got one of those plastic seed feeders with holes on the sides at the bottom. We recently seem to have acquired a squirrel - would he be interested in tipping the feeder up and pouring the seeds straight into his mouth, or will he be far more interested in my neighbour's ornamental apple tree?!
Hi Fluffy, no I'm afraid that if he has found an easy meal, he will be back for more. I use the metal feeders which are a little heavy I think for our squirrels, although they do have their own feeder filled with hazlenuts so don't seem to bother with the other feeders much, or the birdtables
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2005, 02:42 PM
Thanks! I've lived here for years and never seen a squirrel round here before, we live in the middle of a housing estate, then all of a sudden the other day, along he strolled. He did head straight for the apple tree, but I did notice a very sudden dwindling in the amount of seeds in my bird feeder today! There's nothing on the floor beneath it though (mind you I reckon the bunnies would soon hoover up any spillage!), and my peanut feeder hasn't been chewed. I'll have to keep an eye to see whether it's a naughty squirrel or some invisible birds!

Fluffy x
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Hello Again

If proof were needed Squirrels are definately coming into areas they've not been seen before. I'd call our area a housing estate though with having reasonably sized gardens and trees etc...I guess it is more like you'd see in a park. I've only seen them this year myself. The most I have seen together was three but when it appears on its own I never know if its the same one.

We can go days without seeing one and then it will call in for a short time or make a few visits over the day. A neighbour who feeds birds facing onto my back garden(I only see him or the house when the trees drop their leaves in the Autumn)he says their feeders get unhooked and the contents goes on the ground. He was thinking of getting a squirrel proof one though he's enjoyed watching them.

I do wonder how they avoid some of the dangers that coming into such an area, at some point they must be crossing roads. Or having to avoid some children who are more likely to do some harm to them. And I do worry about the Hawk swooping down and taking it away. But that's nature...

When I first was visited they'd hang at awkward angles(upside down)and eat from the feeders but only oneis damaged, it tends to stick to the same one and its still in use after about 6 months.

I don't help my garden but now and again I throw peanuts in their shells and around 6pm tonight as it started getting dusk and then really dark, the Squirrel appeared and two Magpies and it was really busy with the birds flying off to their nests or hiding what they could and the Squirrel doing the same burying his cache of food into the lawn by making holes and then patting the grass and soil back on top.

If you ask what I feed my birds(it would be better to ask what I do not feed them)notice how I fall into the trap of calling them mine...

Take Care:smt058

Gildy
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-09-2005, 07:41 PM
I always feed the wild birds nothing likeseeing them around your bird table really cheers me up.Had a Nuthatch here a couple of years ago,then never saw hiim again.Quite sad he was very beautiful.
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2005, 07:42 PM
LOL @ Gildy. I'm one of the 'trapped' too I'm afraid.

I had three this morning at their feeder, which is cable-tied to the hanger so they don't lift it off but as I have been feeding them for a good while now, if they arrive for breakfast and I haven't been quick enough, they alert me to the fact by making funny sqeeking noises, then back away (only a short distance now) while I redress the situation

They visit at more or less the same time every morning (as do my feathered patrons) and carry them away to bury in someone elses garden!!
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2005, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Zantababy
I always feed the wild birds nothing likeseeing them around your bird table really cheers me up.Had a Nuthatch here a couple of years ago,then never saw hiim again.Quite sad he was very beautiful.
Oooooh they are beautiful aren't they? Our next door neighbour told me 'we' had one (she has as many feeders as we do) and I've seen it three or four times It makes me feel quite humble to watch them come and go - I love it
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2005, 10:12 PM
we saw a squirrel in our back garden the other day
it was playing among the chickens
by time i had run back in and got the camera it had gone into the trees in the field next door
but will deff be keeping a eye out for it
i love squirrels
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-09-2005, 11:31 PM
Hi Everyone,

Squirrels certainly bring out mixed feelings in many people. As can just about any wildlife. I guess its if they cause problems but problems to whom. It may be natural behaviour to them.

To attract a mate a male Squirrel often strips the bark of trees, amazing what men will do to attract a female

I wouldn't like to see my long established trees damaged beyond repair but I think alot of bark has to be removed and certain trees are more suseptable.

I've mentioned seeing them in Darlington Park where they will come and take the monkey nuts from your hand. The same was true in Bournemouth's Central Gardens but the last time I was there around 15 years ago(is it really that long)I had the impression that possibly there had been a cull as there did seem to be fewer.

Not getting out so much, secretly I am quite pleased to have a couple visit now and again. I actually think I can tell its getting less frightened and quite tame but the new neighbours do have a large dog so when they move in he'll have to be careful or perhaps it will deter him visiting at all.

And of course maybe the Hawk would be interested so he'll have to watch himself.

On a different level I said I feed just about any mix of seed going which must attract but I do something quite extravagant. I know we'll never manage to eat all the fruit we buy so Squirrel or birds may find the best fruit being given to them. I am amazed that of late even the Doves have eaten bread which one time they never would've. And I believe that there are two main reasons...I do not throw out great slices or lumps of bread, its all tiny so even little birds can manage it. I have found the bread is reasonably soft so breaks easily even if not soaked.

When I give the blackbirds their grapes, I discovered they like them halved or smaller and I have seen them disappear with one swallow. I think that they are a favourite because generally they are soft but also offer moisture when there is no water around.

I'm rambling again
GS
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by The Great Gildersleeve
I'm rambling again
GS
Dear Gildy, please keep rambling, I for one always enjoy reading your posts (and did on the other side too)

Best wishes xx
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >