View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2010, 09:20 AM
i was just going to go to PAH ive never had a problem with animals from there, but heard of people that have, but i got both my rats from there when i was younger, and monty lived till he was 4, and tilly was 5... people have had problems with the fish from there, but mine are still going strong

will see what happens, need to talk to my dad, any idea where i can get a good cage from? i want one with a couple of platforms in, want to make it as interesting as possible for him/her.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2010, 10:07 AM
I didnt have a hamster cage for mine - they all had the tank type cages. Shadow and Ringo had a Mini Duna by ferplast - an indoor bunny cage - small for rabbits but great for hammies.

Lots of toys and chews and a nice big wheel - silent spinners are a godsend!

This was Shadow and Milo's cage - Milo is a dwarf so his cage is the smaller one

And Shadows

We had a sandpit for everyone the dwarfies loved it!
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Well I do know loads of hamsters and rabbits that have lived on into good old ages from PAH and I do know the adpotion scheme also - as I said before - I've had two from there

But I also know loads of animals that have been bought from PAH and have died the next day or after a week or have gotten a disease. My brother bought one from PAH and he'd never had a hamster before so everything was cleaned - the new cage he'd just bought - thoroughly washed and rewashed and dried, megazorb etc - the hamster contracted wet tail and died Whereas I got Ringo from our local pet store in town and he died earlier this year at the grand old age of 4.

I'm not saying anything about PAH's products but if you talk to anyone on rabbit or hamster or small furry forums - PAH is a very bad sore point due to how their animals are kept. I'll start another thread

But I do think a rescue would be a good idea though
I agree with you there, syrians from P@H are very prone to getting wet tail which is a condition which can be bought on through bad diet, or stressful, cramped conditions. Not sure about your store, but mine have very very small cages on the shopfloor for the hamsters, and one cage i saw once had 4 syrians in. Syrians as a rule (even if they are young.. - they are old enough to be sold) should be housed on there own. It is stressful to them to be kept together after a certain age. Especially in a cage which is cramped for one hamster.
I have personally known several people whose hamsters from there have gotten wet tail, and all but one died.
Maybe other stores are different? I'm not sure. But would advise you not to buy any livestock from a big chain!

I have asked before and know that they get all of their animals in from a supplier, which stocks all of the P@H stores. So if each week they get in more animals... In every store what 200+? Then you can see the number of animals that must be getting pumped out each week. Its on a very big scale, and for that reason animals will become stressed and the lines may get mixed.

I'm not slating p@h down in anyway, They are a very good store for going in and buying dog food etc... Just advising to you it may be best not to buy an animal from there. Try and find a rescue which may be able to help you, or a responsible private breeder which knows what they are talking about, and knows the lines which they have bred their hamsters from/with. It gives you a good idea of the parentage and of the future health of the lil hammy.

Good luck! Have fun!
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2010, 10:17 AM
I love your pictures! I never knew hamsters liked sandpits i will have to try it. Is it sand like chinchillas and degus have?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by twilightwolf View Post
I agree with you there, syrians from P@H are very prone to getting wet tail which is a condition which can be bought on through bad diet, or stressful, cramped conditions. Not sure about your store, but mine have very very small cages on the shopfloor for the hamsters, and one cage i saw once had 4 syrians in. Syrians as a rule (even if they are young.. - they are old enough to be sold) should be housed on there own. It is stressful to them to be kept together after a certain age. Especially in a cage which is cramped for one hamster.
I have personally known several people whose hamsters from there have gotten wet tail, and all but one died.
Maybe other stores are different? I'm not sure. But would advise you not to buy any livestock from a big chain!

I have asked before and know that they get all of their animals in from a supplier, which stocks all of the P@H stores. So if each week they get in more animals... In every store what 200+? Then you can see the number of animals that must be getting pumped out each week. Its on a very big scale, and for that reason animals will become stressed and the lines may get mixed.

I'm not slating p@h down in anyway, They are a very good store for going in and buying dog food etc... Just advising to you it may be best not to buy an animal from there. Try and find a rescue which may be able to help you, or a responsible private breeder which knows what they are talking about, and knows the lines which they have bred their hamsters from/with. It gives you a good idea of the parentage and of the future health of the lil hammy.

Good luck! Have fun!
I agree...I posted on SLB's other thread about where PAH get their animals from. I would never get an animal from there as you would be supporting very irreponsible breeding practices.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2010, 10:54 AM
You could always get a rescued hamster from the RSPCA .
I have had several from the SSPCA and they were great .
By the way 20 is not too old for a hamter I am more than twice your age and I usually have one
Happy Birthday
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by twilightwolf View Post
I love your pictures! I never knew hamsters liked sandpits i will have to try it. Is it sand like chinchillas and degus have?
No chinchillas have dust, it has to be sand. Not all syrians are that bothered about it - they use it as a litter tray but it saved me cleaning their cage every week, I did it every two instead and just changed the sand.
Dwarfies love it - I have a video but it's not working on my computer so will have to see to it later
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2010, 01:59 PM
good luck with the hamster. The last couple we had gave us 20 lovely surprises when we came home after having them for a couple of days! Having said that the babies were adorable once they developed fluff and their eyes were open -
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2