Our sister sites
Our sister sites
borderbob
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-01-2010, 04:53 PM

Orijen as a food on is own?

Hi
Just wanted some confirmation; is Orijen ok to be fed as a complete diet on its own each day - some add other things to it like Nature Diet - why would you need to?

thanks
LoweherzLeos
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-01-2010, 04:59 PM
i dont like to feed any complete on its own (the irony lol) but that's because the risk of bloat in my breed. i used to mix with pilchards or tuna etc

as good as orijen is i like to make sure that they have some sort of fibre supply such as rice pasta etc as it helps with the perilstalsis (sp) and gives nice firm poops. although meat has fibre as well as fruit or veg, IMO its not enough. HTH a bit x

ETA i now feed part BARF and Burns as it has high rice percentage to help gut push food bolus down, added meat in BARF because i believe dogs should have high meat diet
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-01-2010, 06:07 PM
If I was going to feed Ollie a complete on its own this would be the food I would use.

I am going too use it but he will be getting nature diet or raw once a day and Orijen once a day I am going to use the senior as it has added glucosamine and he needs to keep lean as his weight doesn't help his already problem joints.

I have used it this way but not the senior before and it did help and gave him more energy and helped him from seeming hungry as the raw or nature diet alone do not seem to fulfill his hunger.
borderbob
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-01-2010, 06:35 PM
ok thanks all; have to be careful re rice as testing border who may have ibd.

hence want to cut out grains, cereals etc.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by borderbob View Post

If you want too cut out cereals and grains then Orijen is very good as it has no grains or cereals.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Hi
Just wanted some confirmation; is Orijen ok to be fed as a complete diet on its own each day - some add other things to it like Nature Diet - why would you need to?

thanks
You dont, its just some people like to thats all.

In fact Origen along with most complete kibbles are meant to be fed as it comes without any added extra... its a balenced diet all on its own.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-01-2010, 08:05 PM
All your modern foods are carefully formulated to be the complete and balanced diet dogs need. Many dogs go years and years on nothing but the same kibble and do very well. Adding this and that is mostly a self indulgence on the owners' part. It is a deeply rooted 50's thing. No amount of logic will change many's feelings that they must add more.
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
All your modern foods are carefully formulated to be the complete and balanced diet dogs need. Many dogs go years and years on nothing but the same kibble and do very well. Adding this and that is mostly a self indulgence on the owners' part. It is a deeply rooted 50's thing. No amount of logic will change many's feelings that they must add more.

Deeply rooted in the same space, & time as your methods of training then
LoweherzLeos
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-01-2010, 08:13 PM

boiled potato will add bulk to help digestion
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Odd that I only started owning dogs in the nineties and I like to give some kind of decent wet food or raw even if feeding a good kibble like Orijen. I was bon in the fifties is that it maybe ?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >