View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Oh yes, forgot to add that obtaining our rescue was easy. Since they were satisfied that our existing dogs were well cared for we didnt need a home check. All we had to do was decide whether we wanted him or not.

But, the same applied to the breeders...no questions were asked about the dogs future home.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 05:15 PM
I think the reason many people don`t get a dog from a Rescue is just that they lack confidence. Getting a pup from a breeder (or dealer) implies a sort of guarantee about what to expect. It doesn`t work like that, as we all know, but until you`ve had one or two dogs, you maybe don`t realise that.
One thing I would like to point out, in case people don`t realise, is that all rescue organisations have different rules, standards and practices regarding costs, requirements, papers etc.. I have had rescues for years - some pedigrees with papers, some crossbreds, some pedigrees without papers. They`ve all been great dogs, though.
tartan1314
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Got both my dogs as pups - one a staffie cross and one a full staffie.

Got Dax (staffie cross) from a pet shop - hadn't intended to but we went past and there were seven on them crammed into a rabbit hutch in the window - could quite easily have taken all of them - the owner of the shop was an old witch and although she was wrapped around a heater - this was December - the rest of the shop was baltic). Fell in love with Dax but not being that well up on puppies I hadn't realised how young she was - only about 4 weeks. I don't know if that has contributed to how clingy she can be. Never regretted it though - she is a fantastic dog.

Gabby came from a breeder but she doesn't have papers. We got a puppy as we were finding it difficult to get an adult Staffie from rescue that didn't have issues with other dogs. Looking about now, there are a lot more staffies that don't have that problem - must just have been at that time.

I feel that a lot of the rescue organisations don't seem to be happy rehoming a dog to people who work. With shifts and working at home my dogs are not on their own too much and when I need to be away for longer I get someone in to walk them.

However, when I was a child both my parents worked and we had dogs - they seemed to be happy. I wonder whether dogs are remaining in rescue that could live a very happy life with owners who just now are not being allowed to adopt a rescue because they work. (What do others think?)
spot
Dogsey Veteran

24-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
I agree.

Following on from another post though, if you don't all go to the rescue centre, they won't let you adopt.

Now my wife was totally uninterested. She said to me, if you want a dog...you go and get it. However, the RSPCA insisted she came. It actually caused my wife and I to fight about it, because my heart was set on Benson, and it all hinged on my wife (who wasn't even interested) going to see him. Forget the fact I'd owned a Boxer since 1992, they insisted she came.

Would you get the same hassle from a breeder? Surely choosing a dog shouldn't cause divorce
I think that very much depends on the breeders, I would hope most would want the members of the family to meet a pup before it went home and would question as to why a family member wouldnt want to meet a pup, it could of led to a disaster down the way. So yes I think you should get the same 'hassle' from a breeder.

Rescues dont give you hassle just for the fun of it, they want the best home for the dog and to ensure as much as they can that the dog wont bounce or be passed on.

It seems to me like rescues are in a no win situation with some people.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

24-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
It depends I guess. In our old house Max had the run of the garage when we were out! We'd put flooring down, heated it etc. Our house at the time was open plan and you coldn't have left a puppy (or a dog) alone in it.

A rescue wouldn't let me have a dog, as we work full time. It is against their policy, regardless of other circumstances. However, the breeder was happy to investigate our circumstances further.
I agree a lot of rescues wont rehome a puppy to full time workers - most think its important for a puppy to have someone around most of the time to help with training etc. However, I have never been turned down by a rescue for homing older dogs and I to work full time.

If a breeder had turned you down for that reason would you have gone and looked for other breeders who would? Same with rescue really there are many out there and they all have different policies it just takes a bit of effort to find them.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 06:06 PM
Well i have no preference really ,Over the years ive owned both rescue dogs and pure breed dogs ,At present i own pure breed dogs but until 23 months ago i ownerd a rescue dog whom i sadly had to pts due to terminal brain tumour ,xxdk
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Considering how many dogs there are in rescue it would be virtually impossible not to find a dog or puppy that suits a persons needs (unless the person is choosing a dog to show or breed from). The majority of dogs in rescue are there through absolutely no fault of their own, a smaller minority do have problems but a reputable rescue wouldn't home a dog with issues to someone needing an easy dog.

imo reasons like having young children, existing dogs etc. really are just excuses I'm afraid. It makes sense that it is wrong to buy a dog when another dog is being killed because it hasn't got a home. Naturally people don't want to feel that guilt and convince themselves they had to go to a breeder.

Some of the larger rescues have blanket policies in place due to the large numbers of dogs and public they are dealing with, however there are plenty of rescues out-there who have flexible policies.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 06:33 PM
I have 2 pedigree/purebred dogs... not for the kudos either I never discuss how much they cost with anyone (only my bank manager!!! ) as that is between me and breeder.
When I decided to get another ES I tried the rescue but none available at that time.. then I researched breeders and got on the waiting list... finally got my Jamie.
I have nothing against rescues at all, my family has rescued greyhounds/lurchers/BC's etc... But I had my mind and heart set on an ES...
I got Deacon from same breeder as he is ace and very supportive!
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post

imo reasons like having young children, existing dogs etc. really are just excuses I'm afraid. It makes sense that it is wrong to buy a dog when another dog is being killed because it hasn't got a home. Naturally people don't want to feel that guilt and convince themselves they had to go to a breeder.
Not in my case it's not,when you have previously taken on a rescue dog that then turns on your eldest son with devasting results 4 hours spent in A&E, plus the district nurse calling every day for 2 weeks,flashbacks of the attack etc....

We took on a young rescue ESS,who again had issues & had to be returned to rescue,so I'm afraid while my kids are young I would rather buy a pup from a good reputable breeder,than take chances on a rescue.

Stafford Rescue don't like rehoming dogs where there are exsisting dogs on the property,understandable if you understand the breed.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Not in my case it's not,when you have previously taken on a rescue dog that then turns on your eldest son with devasting results 4 hours spent in A&E, plus the district nurse calling every day for 2 weeks,flashbacks of the attack etc....

We took on a young rescue ESS,who again had issues & had to be returned to rescue,so I'm afraid while my kids are young I would rather buy a pup from a good reputable breeder,than take chances on a rescue.
There are plenty of Staffy pups in rescue
Page 7 of 23 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »