View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

17-08-2005, 08:19 PM
Maddie, your account is one step away from being banned. If you want to use Dogweb you treat Dogwebbers with the respect they deserve and respond to posts in an adult manner.

In addition you can show our moderators some respect and if you have a problem with them or their actions you get in touch with an admin.

Finally your account is on restricted access, meaning all of you posts have to be looked over by a moderator before they will go live.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2005, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by iwlass
I was enjoying this debate; it seems a shame that people feel it necessary to "get" at each other rather than stick to the topic under discussion

One thing that came to my mind when I was reading this was the well documented problems that Police Forces are having nowadays finding GSD's with the necessary temperment/physical build for police work. Many forces are relying on a few breeders, or turning to other guard breeds. Which type of GSD is closer to the breed standard; the one widely bred a few years ago that the police could work, or the one being bred now?

This highlights to me the fact that irrespective of the breed standard - interpretation and "market forces" play a part in the "type" that a breeder is aiming to produce
Very good point IWLASS.
lollippy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-08-2005, 08:15 AM
I think one thing is clear, if the breed standards were set up to "keep breeds "standard" then they have failed
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by Archer
maybe they should be looking at dogs bred from german imports then since in germany a GSD has to still 'work' before it can gain a show title if I am correct
Perhaps this would be a good idea for other breeds too?
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
Perhaps this would be a good idea for other breeds too?
I'm not going to argue about this one...in some peoples eyes ...maybe.However I have had a GSD bred from german 'working' lines and although I could cope with one now at the time he came into my home I was a young mum with 4 children.I had time for a dog but not enough for a high work drive dog....like many family people.Yes maybe I should have had a different breed but I had experienced GSD from other lines who were no where near as demanding as this one and I only took him on as an emergency rescue case.I had no idea how much more demanding a working bred dog was to a dog from the same breed but non working lines.I understand where people are coming from when saying they should be able to complete the task for which they were bred...I agree physically but I have different veiws on the maintanenance of high working drive within a breed when the dogs are no longer required to work but are expected to adjust to a more sedentary pace of life.
Thats just my opinion....there are obviously 2 schools of thought and people are never going to agree ...but then thats life
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by Archer
I'm not going to argue about this one...in some peoples eyes ...maybe.However I have had a GSD bred from german 'working' lines and although I could cope with one now at the time he came into my home I was a young mum with 4 children.I had time for a dog but not enough for a high work drive dog....like many family people.Yes maybe I should have had a different breed but I had experienced GSD from other lines who were no where near as demanding as this one and I only took him on as an emergency rescue case.I had no idea how much more demanding a working bred dog was to a dog from the same breed but non working lines.I understand where people are coming from when saying they should be able to complete the task for which they were bred...I agree physically but I have different veiws on the maintanenance of high working drive within a breed when the dogs are no longer required to work but are expected to adjust to a more sedentary pace of life.
Thats just my opinion....there are obviously 2 schools of thought and people are never going to agree ...but then thats life
Me......argue.....never!

I just think that both sides (working and showing) are "guilty" (if you can call it that) with regards to changing the way a breed looks. But I personally think on the show side it has more to do with judges own interpretations of a breed standard, how else would dogs change to such a degree?
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2005, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
Me......argue.....never!

I just think that both sides (working and showing) are "guilty" (if you can call it that) with regards to changing the way a breed looks. But I personally think on the show side it has more to do with judges own interpretations of a breed standard, how else would dogs change to such a degree?

sorry....didn't mean you were up for an arguement
Page 24 of 24 « First < 14 21 22 23 24