Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by LoobyLou663 View Post
I disagree how the amount a dog costs has a baring on how he will be looked after. Whether someone pays £600 or £30 for a dog does not mean they are going to be a responsible owner and take care of the dog properly. You can tell by the age of someone, personality, and you can inspect homes before selling a puppy (home vet i think its called) i can understand if your selling to a teenager, of course a teenager cant afford the up keep of a dog and the novelty might just ware off.
as you say LL it doesnt, I have had cats for nothing, cats for 30 and one at hundreds. They all get looked after the same way.
I agree with baileysblind and Malka. All the pups from rescue at that price I have seen have cost the rescue money, for a start they didn't breed them but are giving up their time, energy, using their cars, have other dogs to look after, websites to maintain, homechecks, vaccinations......and usually at least one of the pups had been ill and needed vet care that the breeders didn't want or couldn't pay for. Plus will help with neutering costs later in some instances. Plenty more overheads and if it more than covers the pups cost the there will be adult dogs that get help from that money.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Well said. The dog looks an absolute stunner. My own personal point of view for what it's worth is that I would never pay a penny for a pedigree dog, with the possible exception of an Alaskan Malamute. I love the results of a good old shuffle of the cards, and much prefer the variety of not only looks but character and different breed traits that you get with a mongrel. My boys are effectively mongrels, and they are absolutely amazing. Healthy, extremely intelligent and hugely beautiful.
They are not exactly mongrels if they are a cross between two pedigree breeds, especially two pedigree breeds that share a lot of similarities.
LoobyLou663
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-06-2012, 11:05 AM
obviously people have more money than sense.
louise!
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-06-2012, 11:15 AM
If someone wants to pay £2 or £2000 for a dog that's up to them. There are people who have spent thousands shipping animals over from greece or afghanistan after falling in love with a stray, these are live animals we're talking about not a tv or a new car.

And I'm sorry but if I had to rehome a litter, ANY litter, I would charge a similar price for them. Not because I want to profit, but because I'm much more inclined to trust the commitment of someone who would pay £100+ for a dog regardless of the breed than I am to trust someone who walks in off the street offering me a fiver. Which do you think would be more likely to love and care for their animal properly, given that it's impossible to vet potential owners 100%?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by louise! View Post
If someone wants to pay £2 or £2000 for a dog that's up to them. There are people who have spent thousands shipping animals over from greece or afghanistan after falling in love with a stray, these are live animals we're talking about not a tv or a new car.

And I'm sorry but if I had to rehome a litter, ANY litter, I would charge a similar price for them. Not because I want to profit, but because I'm much more inclined to trust the commitment of someone who would pay £100+ for a dog regardless of the breed than I am to trust someone who walks in off the street offering me a fiver. Which do you think would be more likely to love and care for their animal properly, given that it's impossible to vet potential owners 100%?
Again funding the next rescue supplier is a bit different to actually paying to ship a rescue dog over.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
They are not exactly mongrels if they are a cross between two pedigree breeds, especially two pedigree breeds that share a lot of similarities.
The original stock though were mixes - mainly mals and to a much lesser extent huskies, but Eddie Harrison also used a collie twice - and before she started using mals, she was using GSD's. As far as I am concerned they are mongrels, and coming from me that is a compliment, not an insult. They are both beautiful boys, although to me neither of them can hold a candle to Ben's father, Hal.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Possibly - but then I think that people are mad to pay hundreds or even thousands for certain pedigrees, knowing full well of the endemic health problems in those breeds.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2012, 11:24 AM

Why is money an indicator of 'trust' or how good an owner will be?

Unfortunately a litter of mongrels is likely to attract undesirables anyway. Why would anyone who is clued in about dogs choose to support and line the pockets of an irresponsible breeder?

I am a good owner get I wouldn't pay a penny for a mongrel from an irresponsible breeder. Why would I support irresponsible breeders when I could rescue one and support a much better cause?
louise!
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Again funding the next rescue supplier is a bit different to actually paying to ship a rescue dog over.
What? I don't even know what you're referring to here. What I meant was that people will pay a lot of money on a dog regardless of it being mixed or a pedigree because they're living breathing creatures we can form emotional attachments to.
LoobyLou663
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-06-2012, 11:26 AM

and what about these siberian husky breeds that cost £600-£800 that all seem to be in rescue homes?? it doesnt matter how high the price that has nothing to do with whether they will be looked after.
Page 4 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »