Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
partypooch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-05-2011, 02:31 PM
replying to the original post,

i live in central birmingham and encounter a lot of 'dog fear', some of this is generated by muslim beliefs regarding dogs as a ritually unclean animal, and some of it is generated by the use of dogs as guard and fighting animals, not as pets.

reactions to my dogs vary from downright hysteria to requests to sell my 'pitta terriers' and questions about their fighting ability... i've even had a welsh lad ask me if i've ever put them up against a badger!! (we have a staff x collie and staff x mastiff) needless to say, i would never contemplate such things!

what i would love is a dog park, where my dogs can run free without me constantly having to defer to other peoples misconceptions, and some sort of school education regarding the correct behaviour around dogs (a bit like sex education, if you're not getting it from your parents, surely the state or charitable organisations should step into the breach?) when you're looking at approx 10 million dogs in the uk, you'd think this was a pretty big priority.

it's all well and good us responsible dog owners trying to change the world one day at a time, but it's a big burden to take on by ourselves.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by partypooch View Post
replying to the original post,

i live in central birmingham and encounter a lot of 'dog fear', some of this is generated by muslim beliefs regarding dogs as a ritually unclean animal, and some of it is generated by the use of dogs as guard and fighting animals, not as pets.

reactions to my dogs vary from downright hysteria
to requests to sell my 'pitta terriers' and questions about their fighting ability... i've even had a welsh lad ask me if i've ever put them up against a badger!! (we have a staff x collie and staff x mastiff) needless to say, i would never contemplate such things!

what i would love is a dog park, where my dogs can run free without me constantly having to defer to other peoples misconceptions, and some sort of school education regarding the correct behaviour around dogs (a bit like sex education, if you're not getting it from your parents, surely the state or charitable organisations should step into the breach?) when you're looking at approx 10 million dogs in the uk, you'd think this was a pretty big priority.

it's all well and good us responsible dog owners trying to change the world one day at a time, but it's a big burden to take on by ourselves.
I agree with you living in Birmingham too. We have often had the above and thier children run screaming in different directions, I often say to them ''its a good job they don't chase because running like that and hysterically screaming Im surprised you have never been bitten''.......
Im so glad mine just ignore them.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I agree with you living in Birmingham too. We have often had the above and thier children run screaming in different directions, I often say to them ''its a good job they don't chase because running like that and hysterically screaming Im surprised you have never been bitten''.......
Im so glad mine just ignore them.
In the city centre its the Asian tourists that scream and shriek LOUD in the street at the sight of the dog and stand there with thier hands in the air (you'd think they might find out Brits have dogs as pets before coming?) You'd think I'd just pointed a gun at them and said 'money or your life' or 'stick 'em up!' Suppose its just a diffference in culture BUT I also think it is very rude to my/our culture to shriek in the street at people!! (when they are doing no harm....)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Screaming and shrieking is not restricted to those of a different culture, race or religion in my experience; I have found this hysteria crosses all barriers........ hey ho.

I find it is just another opportunity to a) habituate my dogs to weird things and b) demonstrate how well trained they are!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2011, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Screaming and shrieking is not restricted to those of a different culture, race or religion in my experience; I have found this hysteria crosses all barriers........ hey ho.

I find it is just another opportunity to a) habituate my dogs to weird things and b) demonstrate how well trained they are!
This is true, and sometimes I actually feel proud when they do it (if I'm honest ) cos they then look like an idiot while my dog stands next to me. However, there have been times when it is often and it gets irritating.

Some people from all cultures will shriek but not many by comparison (I find here most Brits just give 'the look') The first time I took my dog round the city centre where all the tourists are in summer was a real eye opener

Regardless; it is rude to shriek at people and thier pets for no good reason!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Years ago Rupert jumped up while leashed and stole part of a hot dog out of a womans hand as we passed. Given that he's never been overly interested in food and will refuse food from strangers this was completely unexpected. I laugh about it now but at the time I was absolutely horrified and wanted the ground to open up and swallow me. Thankfully the woman was very nice about it and refused to let me give her the money to buy another. I could have understood if she'd been angry, I wouldn't have been impressed if it had happened to me. I think my reaction would depend on how the owner reacted though to be honest. I'd take it better if someone reacted the way I did but if someone clearly thought the dogs behaviour was okay I'd have something to say about it.

I do my best to make sure Rupe never repeats his theft, he's taught not to take food unless told to, not even if it's dropped on the floor in front of him or just lying in his path. He also knows leave it. There's no guarantee of course, dogs will be dogs after all, but I think I've stacked the odds in favour of it not happening.

As for the original topic, no I don't think non dog people in general should avoid areas where dogs are walked. I think there needs to be respect on both sides though. Dogs should be taught not to go running up to people but people also need to realise that dogs aren't robots and occasionally do out of character things. And that screeching and flapping is NOT the best way to convince a dog to go away. Public places are there for everyone to enjoy, not just those with dogs and not just those without dogs.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2011, 08:23 PM
If they don't like it....yes.

Same as I try and avoid other peoples "little darlings". And by that I mean human children!
juleze
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
They truly are, thank you so much for your lovely comment
Your dogs aren't just nice, they are gorgeous, and look absolutely beautiful. They also look very clean.
You're really doing a good job, I must confess.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by juleze View Post
Your dogs aren't just nice, they are gorgeous, and look absolutely beautiful. They also look very clean.
You're really doing a good job, I must confess.
Ah bless you ... as with my horses when I had them, they, their tack, stable rugs, stables, everything were immaculate ... but my house resembled the Stygian Stables of greek mythology!

So it is now with Ben and Tai ... they are groomed frequently, bathed occasionally and pretty well always look clean and tidy, whereas me and my house ... best not to go there really!!
BubblyBob
New Member!
Male 

19-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
As the title asks?

What are the opinions of people on this----should people not walk in public areas if they don't like dogs?

rune-----whose posts seem to be disappearing on a regular basis
Well, it depends. If somebody is bothered by the mere presence of a dog, then yes, they should avoid frequenting dog friendly areas.

However. I think it's perfectly reasonable for them to expect dog owners to keep their dogs under control(either through leash, or voice control) and ensure that their dogs aren't a nuisance to anyone around them. Not everyone loves being jumped on, or licked, by some strange dog they don't know. Some people are even afraid of dogs, or allergic to them, and we need to be respectful of their personal space.

The exception being, if it's in an area that's specifically designated for dogs(dog park, dog beach, or the like). Then they'd have no right to complain. But other then that, I feel that the non dog people have just as much right to enjoy a public area as we do, and shouldn't have to deal with our dogs bothering them if they don't wish them too.

Unfortunately, a lot of dog owners are oblivious to the fact that not everybody loves their dogs as they do, and don’t bother to keep them under control. And that is the type of thing that causes conflict, and risks getting dogs banned from public areas.

Just my 2 cents.
Page 22 of 22 « First < 12 19 20 21 22