View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 04:34 PM

Should non dog people avoid areas that dogs are walked in?

As the title asks?

What are the opinions of people on this----should people not walk in public areas if they don't like dogs?

rune-----whose posts seem to be disappearing on a regular basis
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Of course not!
Dogs can be walked in most places except for some beaches really
It would just be impossible to avoid all areas where dogs are

also all of the most lovely places to walk will have lots of dog walkers - because it is such a nice place to walk - why should they have to miss out on a great walk because they dont have a dog

I think anyone has the right to walk anywhere they legaly have right of way without the fear of being harrased by other people, unruly children and out of control dogs
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 04:41 PM
I was thinking about this in the thread about dogs with poor recall. My nephew-in-law worked as a carer for people with learning difficulties. He used to take them out for walks in the woods and he said they didn't like dogs and if dogs came charging up to them they would kick them! They were scared of dogs I think. He said people shouldn't let their dogs charge up to strangers. What does everyone else think?

I think "non-doggy" people have a right to walk in parks and places mainly frequented by "doggy" people.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 04:42 PM
I suppose it depends.... if you are absolutely terrified of dogs (like I used to be), there is no way I would have ever walked round an area I knew was a favourite of dog-walkers. I wouldn't have put myself through the terror of it!

However, otherwise, providing that (as usual) dogs are under control and not running wild etc. I don't see why everyone can't share the same space.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 04:45 PM
It depends how much the person doesn't like them .... I am not fond of peacocks and will actively avoid areas where I know there will be peacocks ... but if I do come across one unexpectedly I do not expect the peacock to take itself away just because I am there!!!!
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Personally speaking if I didn't like something and knew an area to be frequented by that something I would avoid it like the plague. If you are terrified of something i.e. dogs, I would think even dogs on leads would upset you. My view would be it's my problem not theirs. I wouldn't be moaning about them being there.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Well as dogs are everywhere not walking in public areas if you don't like them may be a little difficult.

If someone was phobic or terrified of dogs, then from their perspective it might not be their best interests to walk in areas with loads of dogs running loose.

For someone that doesn't like dogs (rather than someone terrified of them), well, a bit of tolerance is required on both sides. Dog owners need to keep their dogs under control and people don't who don't like dogs need to respect the fact that dogs are a part of everyday life.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 05:21 PM
When you're talking about the situation where dog walkers are out 52 weeks of the year, yet people think they've got the right to demand they vanish for the 2 weeks that pass as a summer in the UK... no. It IS what seems to happen a lot - and then, I'm afraid I do take the "I pay my taxes too - you've got an issue, not me" line.

However I will pull the dog to the side of a path, put him on a lead, distract him with a treat or whatever - but I'm not going to go and hide away because I dare to own a dog nope.

I used to be nicer (not on dog related matters admittedly), I would bend over backwards for all and sundry - till I realised it doesn't go both ways, so now stuff it - I protect my own interests because no one else is going to.

If they've got such massive issues that a very well behaved dog trotting along on lead by a canal towapath flips them out - they need to be getting help, not expecting me to lock myself away for them.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 05:45 PM
'Under control' seems to be the important point.

I think that is fair. I certainly wouldn't expect people to not walk in areas because my dogs were there.

Nor would I expect or allow my dogs to run wherever they felt like regardless of others.

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
As the title asks?

What are the opinions of people on this----should people not walk in public areas if they don't like dogs?

rune-----whose posts seem to be disappearing on a regular basis
People can walk wherever they choose if its "public." People should have their dogs under control anyway, therefore they would not be in a position to bother anyone who perhaps didnt care for them. I dont like being bothered by other peoples badly behaved dogs while I am out walking, similarly I dont like being bothered by other peoples children who act in a similar fashion!!
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »