Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
(Can you tell I`m cr*p at proper obedience?)
Yes you may be but, to me what's important is, are your dogs always obedient. Ie they sit when told, doesn't matter about precision. That is what is important.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 03:50 PM
I think any dog sport/activity/work is great :-

1. So long as the competition never becomes more important than the dog;
2. The dog also enjoys the activity and it isn't about the owners ego.
3. The training is undertaken with care, kindness and sensitivity.

Personally, I have tried agility which I enjoyed, but found it really wound my usually quite calm dogs up to fever pitch.

I have trained in obedience, and enjoyed it so long as it never became too rigid - I like to train for well behaved "real life" dogs, not for competition standards. I can of course appreciate the level of commitment that goes into training a top competition dog, but I have never been that competitive, and it has always been about my dogs and I having some time/fun together.

Tracking - love it and everything about it. Harnessing the dog's natural instinct and to use its brain. I hope to continue training my young GSD when I have a bit of free time (ha ha). I am also interested in working trials - but again perhaps more for the training/teamwork aspect we would get out of it, rather than to train to competition standard.

I wouldn't be averse to having a go at protection work either. What you have to remember about protection trained dogs and schutzhund training is that the bite is being controlled. These dogs usually (and should) have some of the best and most balanced temperaments seen in GSDs. All dogs can bite, but schutzhund dogs are trained to bite on command, not willy nilly.

And herding. I love this as much as tracking with my GSDs. Part of the reason I got into BCs was to train mine to herd and one day to trial. I haven't had a go at sheepdog trialling yet, but hope to have a young dog ready for the nurseries at the end of the year. Just need a bit more training myself now However, gathering large flocks on the hills and helping hubby is what I really enjoy. Again, harnessing a dog's natural instinct and ability. There is nothing quite like working a good herding dog, gathering up a large flock off the hill in the sunshine with beautiful scenery ... fab! Hard to beat.

I have never had a go at showing, as I have never had that type of dog, and it just doesn't interest me at all. My sister spent many happy weekends showing her Spinoni though, and had a great social life out of it, as well as the dogs seeming to really enjoy their day out.

So, each to their own really

I think I would rather see someone taking time and care to train their dog, and spend time doing such, in whatever activity they both enjoy, than having a dog and never doing anything with it.

Personally though, for me and my dogs, I think long, country walks just about beat everything else
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 04:16 PM
I have in the past done showing (with Parker), heelwork to music (with Parker) and obedience and agility with Cherry and Parker.

I still show Parker a bit but he does have a low boredom threshold so not many shows per year! It also takes me a few hours to get him looking good because he is a highly trimmed breed and it can be frustrating to do this and then the judge doesn't even know what breed he is! This happened when I went to a show where they had a terrier show in one ring and a family dog show in the other. I entered Parker in the "Any variety not separately classified" class and the steward said I was in the wrong ring and should be in the family dog ring not the terrier ring!

I gave up obedience because of the class we went to-I got into clickers and they were into check-chains and physically forcing the dogs into doing things.

I loved doing agility but Cherry was very good-our instructor was an international judge and she said Cherry would have been a good agility competition dog. Unfortunately because of her reactivity with other dogs I could never have worked her in competitions though. Doing agility with Parker instead was stress-free but like downgrading from a Bentley to a moped! I gave up after Cherry had another dog try and have a pop at her and then we realised about her lack of eyesight sadly.

I liked heelwork to music but the competitions are so far from where we live and I have a neck injury so can't drive this far and a non-doggy person for a husband so wouldn't be fair to spend all my free time doing this. I still train the dogs the moves as they do enjoy learning things even at age 9.

We will be starting a new obedience class on Monday which will be good for Cherry to keep her used to ignoring other dogs and not for the obedience side if you see what I mean!

I personally don't understand why people have dogs and don't do anything with them at all. There must be some doggy activity they would both enjoy surely? We met someone with a Collie once and he was telling my husband how intelligent they were and how he used to have a terrier but Collies were much brighter. My husband said what we did with ours (see above!) and asked him what he did with his Collie and he replied "nothing!"
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
The only thing I can't understand about the dog-owning world - is how anyone can walk for any length of time in wellies - they're the most uncomfortable things known to man!
Don't get me started on wellies! After years of wearing Hunters and taking them back regularly because of split seams, I eventually decided to spend a bit more and get a 'better' pair so I went to Aigles. Twice the price but soooo comfortable and actively advertised as being for walking in. Two months later my left toes were suddenly wet - took them back but the store insisted they had to send them back to Aigle to be tested so I had to buy another pair and hope they would agree and refund my money. Fortunately, they did and I've had twelve months of happy walking. Now the rubber on both wellies is cracking when they flex with my feet. I've tried emailing Aigle but they haven't even acknowledged my email.

Am I expecting too much? I expected to have more than a year's worth for £85! What do the rest of you use?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
Don't get me started on wellies! After years of wearing Hunters and taking them back regularly because of split seams, I eventually decided to spend a bit more and get a 'better' pair so I went to Aigles. Twice the price but soooo comfortable and actively advertised as being for walking in. Two months later my left toes were suddenly wet - took them back but the store insisted they had to send them back to Aigle to be tested so I had to buy another pair and hope they would agree and refund my money. Fortunately, they did and I've had twelve months of happy walking. Now the rubber on both wellies is cracking when they flex with my feet. I've tried emailing Aigle but they haven't even acknowledged my email.

Am I expecting too much? I expected to have more than a year's worth for £85! What do the rest of you use?
Gum Leaf. £90 but comfy, warm, lined and two years in and still going strong!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post

I used to love my Hunters, but had the same problem as you, with them splitting within six months or so Got some Le Chamaeu neoprene lined ones (£150 ) for Christmas two years ago and love, love, love them ... they are sooooooooo comfy and warm.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Bought mine from Hawkshead. Worn every day to walk dogs, muck out chickens and ducks, work in the garden etc.

Cost me £16 and still going strong after nearly a year!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 05:01 PM
My last pair were a couple of quid from army surplus and lasted years. Current models £4 from the Factory Shop.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Croc wellies for me!

rune
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Croc wellies for me!

rune
I LOVE them! I ordered a red pair so I could be like Paddington, but they were just a touch too tight around the calves.

I'll get some one day
Page 4 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »