Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2010, 12:26 PM

Broadband

As I live too far out in the sticks to get broadband apparently Is there any other way of getting it, other than the conventional way? Would other ways (such as satellite) just be too expensive?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
As I live too far out in the sticks to get broadband apparently Is there any other way of getting it, other than the conventional way? Would other ways (such as satellite) just be too expensive?
Just had a quick look at the satellite broadband - example attached.
http://www.avonlinebroadband.co.uk/packages_and_costs/

Looks like installation cost of £700 and then £35 per month for the service.

If the house was yours it might be worth the investment, but not knowing how long you are going to stop, I would imagine that £700 would be too much.

Don't know whether it would be worth you asking the Council whether there is any financial help for this - I guess it would be easier if you could justify needing it for work.

I guess you could always also ask the landlord about contributing to the cost, though I wouldn't be too hopeful!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Thanks Fiona, I have just seen your reply.

Looks to be a tad out of my price range I can't see the estate wanting to pay for it either unfortunately

It winds me up so much when I see on the news the Govt talking about faster broadband for everyone - yet we don't even have the bog-standard version yet!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

04-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Well you could do what these rural folk have done

Some people refuse to accept poor internet speeds and take matters into their own hands.

Zoe Kleinman speaks to a dairy farmer who dug her own fibre optic cables, and a Scottish islander who gets his internet via satellite.

If you have any stories about people who have managed to get themselves connected against the odds, email us at working.lunch@bbc.co.uk
See video here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8538963.stm

Email the working lunch and ask the to put you in touch with the people in the vid - and then ask them how they did it