View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Wow look at the sudden interest in rescue funny never seen such an interest before from you guys who buy your dogs from such top breeders hey Inki?

Inki I am sorry if I dont have time to sit on here all day and answer your questions but there are homechecks to be done, vet runs, dog walking ect and the dogs are a tad bit more important that your niggles.
Mornings are always a nightmare as have kids to sort as well as dogs so sorry not at your beck and call.
All dogs are kept a minimum of 2 weeks although dogs with issues stay around anything from 4 months and we had Ruby for 3 years.
Jayne contacted breeder this morning and dogs are sold with NO contract so owners were telling the truth, as I said.
The breed rescue may rehome the odd one where as we have rehomed over 10,000 dogs in 15 years which to me speaks for itself.
We very rareley ever get dogsreturned as everyone is vet checked then homechecked so they are probed to ensure the home is right for the dog.
And Shona rescues dont have the time to contact breeders maybe the breeders should be checking up on the dogs they have bred throughout their lives seen although it was their choice to bring them into this world.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by KateM View Post
sorry, but communication is a two way thing, i know of many breeders who have tried everything to locate a puppy they've sold where the new owners haven't replied to phone calls, letters, e-mails etc. You can't actually force someone to respond to you. Surely you can't see this as the breeders fault?

I help with breed rescue with both of the breeds i am involved in, like the chessie both the breeds i have are numerically small and even if the dogs are handed in without papers normally we can establish who bred them and ask if they want them back - and 9 times out of 10 the breeders have no idea that the dog has been surrendered and take it back immediately, and yes, that is including when we have been assured that the breeder has been contacted and doesn't want them back.

I personally would be absolutely gutted if say i was searching my own breed on line and found a picture such as on this thread of a dog i bred, where the KC papers were available, and no one had made any attempt to contact me (particularly given that others had recommended that a double check was made).
Good post,

I guess I can see both sides to this...the general rescue won't have a clue which breeders are good and which are bad, so won't know when offering the dog back to the breeder whether this is the best thing to do for the dog - it could be that the breeder is fantastic and either keeps the dog themself or finds a suitable home or it could be that the breeder sees it as an opportunity to make more money, advertises the dog and sells it to the first person who comes along (or of course that the breeder isn't interested at all).

That's why I think working with the breed specific rescues is a good idea. They will have (or should have, particularly for the less common breeds) a much better knowledge of good -v- bad breeders and are far more likely to be able to assess the 'geuninessness' of the breeder. They are also likely to be able to help in assessing the dog, having an in depth knowledge of the breed traits.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
Wow look at the sudden interest in rescue funny never seen such an interest before from you guys who buy your dogs from such top breeders hey Inki?

Inki I am sorry if I dont have time to sit on here all day and answer your questions but there are homechecks to be done, vet runs, dog walking ect and the dogs are a tad bit more important that your niggles.
Mornings are always a nightmare as have kids to sort as well as dogs so sorry not at your beck and call.
All dogs are kept a minimum of 2 weeks although dogs with issues stay around anything from 4 months and we had Ruby for 3 years.
Jayne contacted breeder this morning and dogs are sold with NO contract so owners were telling the truth, as I said.
The breed rescue may rehome the odd one where as we have rehomed over 10,000 dogs in 15 years which to me speaks for itself.
We very rareley ever get dogsreturned as everyone is vet checked then homechecked so they are probed to ensure the home is right for the dog.
And Shona rescues dont have the time to contact breeders maybe the breeders should be checking up on the dogs they have bred throughout their lives seen although it was their choice to bring them into this world.
Well that sounds better, sounds like some ones told you what to post, youv'e done your home work then
Do you assess ?
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Did the breeder say that they wouldnt take the dog back when they were contacted this morning?? Many breeders dont have a contract (it would be a very lengthy, expensive process to compile one that would stand up in court as it would require signatures to be witnessed by a solicitor etc etc) and although with our pups we do put in part of our "information pack" that if new owners need to give up the dog it should be returned to us, we do have to rely on the new owners honesty with that to a certain degree... But thats not a contract, more of a request/agreement.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

01-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
I don't think Kc actually assesses any of them, in some cases it seems more like she has taken them on in a panik, then if they don't fit with her house hold they are moved on very quickly, I had asked before about assessing but Kc didn't answer ...
That’s quite an accusation to throw at a rescue or an individual, perhaps you should contact the rescue in question and ask them their rehoming policies as lets face it you wouldnt believe KC regardless?

I wouldn’t of thought it was anything to do with KC as to the policies of the rescue she works for – would you? What is the policy of the rescue you help/work for – how long do they keep them and what assessments are made?
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2009, 01:46 PM

The contract isnt the issue. Its the morally right thing to contact the breeder to give them a chance to take responsibility for a dog they bred as they probably knew nothing about him being rehomed.
So what did the breeder say then? Because in a court of law the majority of contracts are worthless anyway, so this shouldnt sway decision to contact breeder or not- and something tells me they still dont know.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Oh, as this dog is 7 months old and there arent many breeders in the uk, would it be hard to trace the breeder of a litter born in december/january time this year. As anyone who had a litter of chessies then would surely be able to find out whether original owners still had their pups.
But i suppose it would take someone contacting the breed club, or kc to find litters registered.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2009, 01:55 PM

and yet another eloquent, educated yet informative post by kcjack.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2009, 01:56 PM
GSD surely a responsible breeder would be keeping in contact with puppies owners?
Its not morally right to return to breed rescue at all we are a great large established rescue who actually know what we are doing and do it well.
yes Inki why such a large interest in rescue? What do you do for rescue? Did you buy or rescue your dogs?
Of course we assess our dogs DUR what a stupid question. We cant home a food aggressive dog with kids ect ect. Some dogs are good as gold some arent whats your point we also have an amazing behaviorist work with us on the dogs we have big problems with.
Any more questions please open another thread or call jayne who runs rescue or maybe get involved in rescue yourself maybe.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Why should they – they obviously didn’t do a very good job in the first place did they? Would a good breeder not be in contact with the owners anyway to make sure things were going well with their dogs?
This is such a sweeping statement!

My boys' breeder has tried to stay in touch with the owners from both her litters. She sends birthday cards on birthdays and drops others emails and letters.

From 2 litters (11 puppies - 9 owners/families) she has never heard from at least 4 of those, despite trying to stay in contact for 3 years (first litter). At least one of those families still have the dog and are happy with him, but don't see why Anna should be 'intruding' into their lives anymore now she has sold the dog to them. I only know this as I met them completely randomly at an agricultural show last year and we said how similar our dogs looked....

As much as people try to keep in contact, it doesn't always work. It's the same if someone moves house, or job and their contact details change. Sometimes your dogs' breeder might be the last person on your list of notifying etc.
Page 7 of 23 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »