Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Lozzybear,

Can you point out where in my initial post I was nasty to warrant the responses I received? my initial post were correcting some mis information and giving the reason why the dog could not have been held onto, and when someone say "Manchester dogs home dosnt give a toss" is a personal slight because it is the staff at manchester dogs home that dealt with the matter, even though the OP later stated "I know the staff work very hard" they are two contradictory remarks.

If I had not replied at all to clarify. the comment the OP made "
I was informed he had been sent to manchester dogs home. The girl on the phone told me that my discription (including the fact he had previously had one of his toes amputated on his back right foot was not enough for them to hold him). Becuase I couldnt physically go and identify him he was sold before I got home ) would have no doubt left members on this forum beleiving that the home was uncaring and heartless which I can assure you they are not. yes it is sad that this lady has not been able to find her dog, but that was NOT the dogs home fault.

Mo
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by sc2oo9 View Post
nugget wasnt microchipped unfortunatly and i was on holiday for 2 weeks so they had every right to rehome him.
My brother wasnt able to get to manchester to rehome him, it was officially his dog when he was younger but he moved out and nugget stayed with us so he knew him better then anyone if he would have been able to get there to claim him.
my point about the way it was handled was that I ave a detailed discription about him, i gave the name he responds to, what he looked like and the fact that he had an operation on his back right foot and so was missing a toe...i told them the name of the vets it was done at and everything so they could check and that i was in no position to go myself and identify him......my point on the line was that, it is very unlikely that it wasnt going to be my dog, i knew so much about him and he had only just arrived at the dogs home so I wouldnt have had any opportunity to go and have a peak if I just wanted him as a new pet.....manchester dogs home didnt give a toss in my opinion.
I know that the staff must work very hard to care for all the dogs but they did have the opportunity to reunite him and didnt....i explained i would be happy to pay all cost for him stayin there for 2 weeks but they didnt care

Why was your brother not able to get to Manchesters dogs home to claim him back... why would he need to re-home him!!

Could not a memberof your family or friend take him to the home to claim him.. if he new the dog and as you say he is his dog (originally) , and I am guessing was living in your home at the time, he would have been able to identify and claim him as the family pet.

#
Originally Posted by sc2oo9
Right Firsts off get off the defensive, im not arsed about manchester dogs home and this isnt what this thread is about so please feel free to stay off it and start your own thread about the lovely place you work in.
2nd I have already stated that I thing people who work in rescue centres do a great job, long before you started running your mouth off.....
3rd Im not interested in the ifs but and maybes about home checks, I feel that they are far better than just letting a dog go to any random person, you dont do home checks so how can you possibly know where it is really going to and what happens to it....i.d doesnt prove where the dog has gone and that is the last I am saying about it becuase you obviously spend FAR TOO MUCH time in work and need to get a life !!!

This attitude is totally uncalled for, YOU were the one who brought up Manchester dogs home and questioned their reputation... you cant be surprised when a member of their staff comes along to inform you off their procedure..
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
Lozzybear,

Can you point out where in my initial post I was nasty to warrant the responses I received? my initial post were correcting some mis information and giving the reason why the dog could not have been held onto, and when someone say "Manchester dogs home dosnt give a toss" is a personal slight because it is the staff at manchester dogs home that dealt with the matter, even though the OP later stated "I know the staff work very hard" they are two contradictory remarks.

If I had not replied at all to clarify. the comment the OP made "
I was informed he had been sent to manchester dogs home. The girl on the phone told me that my discription (including the fact he had previously had one of his toes amputated on his back right foot was not enough for them to hold him). Becuase I couldnt physically go and identify him he was sold before I got home ) would have no doubt left members on this forum beleiving that the home was uncaring and heartless which I can assure you they are not. yes it is sad that this lady has not been able to find her dog, but that was NOT the dogs home fault.

Mo
i didnt say you warrant the response you received, i said she was out of order with what she said

Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
this was a out of order, but at the end of the day, she must have felt the need to defend herself. we all say things like that when we feel that way.
so i said she shouldnt have said it. i just felt some of the things you said, and the way you said them were harsh...

Originally Posted by mo View Post
Unfortunately if your brother was unable to go an adopt Nugget on the 7th day then that is NOT the dogs home fault, they have on average 400 dogs on site at any one time, it is not licenced to be a boarding kennel, so after the 7th day the dog HAS to go up for adoption, what I cant understand is if the dog was not microchipped, when your brother went to the home, why didnt he just go in give the discription of the dog, identify it and claimed it? all he needed was his ID and the claim fee? if the dog was his originally then he was not doing anything illegal? problem is all too often the dogs home gets accused of " not giving a toss" when in fact many a time the owners of these missing dogs lay the blame of their dog being rehomed because they through reasons of their own cant be bothered to come and claim the dog or try to adopt the dog back on the 7th day, you would also be surprised how many conveniently "lose" their dog and claim it back on the 7th day purely because they have gone on holiday for a week and the dog being in the home is cheaper than paying boarding kennels, all they have to do is get in at opening time and adopt/claim their dog back and only have to pay the fees which are far less than boarding kennels would charge, and the dog gets vaccinated/flea treated wormed in the fee, I am sorry you lost your dog but I feel there is something odd about how this came about, knowing how the dogs home works and knowing the staff and their personalities,( the same staff are in reception as they were 5 years ago) they have been there for many years and I KNOW they would do everything in their power to get a dog rehomed with its owner.

All that aside, I really hope you can contact this person and possibly get Nugget back it would really be a fantastic thing.

Mo
this, to me, is suggesting that she did something like what you said people do when they go on holiday, just leaving her dog when she went away. i know you said that wasnt what you were saying, but thats how it came across. if someone said that to you, im sure you would feel offended and would feel the need to defend yourself... i know i would if someone suggested i did that with jake...
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Lozzibear, I think there are two issues relating to the OP's thread.

Firstly whether you believe/accept the circumstances surrounding the story and secondly the OP's attack on Mo.

As to the first, personally I think there are things to this story that don't add up, but as you say, the fact that she was 16 at the time, should be taken into consideration. However, if it was her own dog at that age, she should have taken responsibility, and if it was a family dog...what where her family doing about it?

Yes people do make mistakes, particularly at that sort of age and for that reason I hadn't previously commented on the 'how it happened', only the un-called for attack on Mo.

I guess being a bit older and having experienced the kind of stories that result in dogs ending up in dogs homes, some of us are a bit more sceptical about the exact facts behind the story.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

19-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post

Firstly whether you believe/accept the circumstances surrounding the story and secondly the OP's attack on Mo.

As to the first, personally I think there are things to this story that don't add up, but as you say, the fact that she was 16 at the time, should be taken into consideration. However, if it was her own dog at that age, she should have taken responsibility, and if it was a family dog...what where her family doing about it?

Yes people do make mistakes, particularly at that sort of age and for that reason I hadn't previously commented on the 'how it happened', only the un-called for attack on Mo.I guess being a bit older and having experienced the kind of stories that result in dogs ending up in dogs homes, some of us are a bit more sceptical about the exact facts behind the story.

Completey agree!!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post

Yes people do make mistakes, particularly at that sort of age and for that reason I hadn't previously commented on the 'how it happened', only the un-called for attack on Mo.

I guess being a bit older and having experienced the kind of stories that result in dogs ending up in dogs homes, some of us are a bit more sceptical about the exact facts behind the story.
that is fair enough, but i never said that the OP was right for the attack. i think people need to balance it with how mo was, and although she didnt attack the OP, she did say things that could seem extremely offensive. at the end of the day, only she knows what happened and i think, personally, we should give her the benefit of the doubt as we dont have all the facts. what if she is telling the truth?? it must be horrible to have people say things like that on a thread where all she wanted was to find out about her dog... maybe people are sceptical but, you will never know the 100% truth, only what she tells us. i think it says something about her that she is trying to find out what happened to her dog, after all these years. i am only 20, so maybe i am a bit niave but i do believe most of her story. the only bit that doesnt add up, to me, is that her brother was looking after the dog but then couldnt collect him from the dogs home. i just always try to put myself in the other persons position, and reading the posts she has received, i would feel horrible if that was me. this thread shouldnt have lead to this, she wants help not an arguement...
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

19-09-2009, 07:36 PM
that is fair enough, but i never said that the OP was right for the attack. i think people need to balance it with how mo was, and although she didnt attack the OP, she did say things that could seem extremely offensive. at the end of the day, only she knows what happened and i think, personally, we should give her the benefit of the doubt as we dont have all the facts. what if she is telling the truth?? it must be horrible to have people say things like that on a thread where all she wanted was to find out about her dog... maybe people are sceptical but, you will never know the 100% truth, only what she tells us. i think it says something about her that she is trying to find out what happened to her dog, after all these years. i am only 20, so maybe i am a bit niave but i do believe most of her story. the only bit that doesnt add up, to me, is that her brother was looking after the dog but then couldnt collect him from the dogs home. i just always try to put myself in the other persons position, and reading the posts she has received, i would feel horrible if that was me. this thread shouldnt have lead to this, she wants help not an arguement...
But I think you will find one gets the responses from members, depending on the context of ones post.

There are a few things in the OP thread that dont add up,

She is 16 when dog goes missing, one assumes she has gone on holiday with her parents.. leaving her brother at home to look after the dog.

If that is the case why is it not possible for brother or family member to go to said dogs home to claim the dog back.

I tell you one thing, if my dog went missing when I was on holiday, I would be on the first flight home, especially if I was concerned it was only going to be kept and re homed after 7 days.

We may sound cynical, but something you will learn in time , not all is as it seems on forums, with experience, sometimes you see more than , what is in print.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
But I think you will find one gets the responses from members, depending on the context of ones post.

There are a few things in the OP thread that dont add up,

She is 16 when dog goes missing, one assumes she has gone on holiday with her parents.. leaving her brother at home to look after the dog.

If that is the case why is it not possible for brother or family member to go to said dogs home to claim the dog back.

I tell you one thing, if my dog went missing when I was on holiday, I would be on the first flight home, especially if I was concerned it was only going to be kept and re homed after 7 days.

We may sound cynical, but something you will learn in time , not all is as it seems on forums, with experience, sometimes you see more than , what is in print.
i said the bit about her brother didnt add up. if this happened to jake, i would be on the next plane back but at 16 where could she get the money?? when i was 16 i had no money, i was at school and wasnt working so i would be screwed at that age. maybe she shouldnt have had a dog at that age, i did but he was a family dog so the costs were my parents responsibility, but thats in the past and, hopefully, she has learnt from it.

i probably will learn in time, but i just think when it is impossible to know all the facts, we should just take what she says and wish her good luck on her search...
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2009, 08:27 PM
i said the bit about her brother didnt add up. if this happened to jake, i would be on the next plane back but at 16 where could she get the money?? when i was 16 i had no money, i was at school and wasnt working so i would be screwed at that age. maybe she shouldnt have had a dog at that age, i did but he was a family dog so the costs were my parents responsibility, but thats in the past and, hopefully, she has learnt from it.

i probably will learn in time, but i just think when it is impossible to know all the facts, we should just take what she says and wish her good luck on her search...
Which I think we would have done if she hadn't seemed to put the blame all on the dogshome .
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

20-09-2009, 09:08 AM

The obvious answer is her parents, as they would have been ultimately responsible for the dog....
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >