View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anonymous
Dogsey Junior

11-05-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Nursey
Spaniel ear length is purely cosmetic, not genetic JG. The length is mostly just hair length, the actual ear leather is no longer than say a Setter ear.
Really? I'm truly astonished! I would have taken an oath that a Show Cocker's ear leather was a lot longer than that of a Working Cocker. I know our old one had very long ears, but short hair on them. But that was back in the 50s.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-05-2004, 08:22 PM
Actually JG I came back to delete my post, because I convinced myself that you meant that working strain spaniels grew less hair on their ears than show strain. I think that that is probably true. But yes the ear leathers are not long, even my 11 month old puppies have now got about two inches of hair longer than the ear leather. That coupled with the fact that the top 3rd of the ear is clippered, gives that elongated lobular appearance.
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-05-2004, 09:48 AM
Saffys tail is docked (Boxer) but I dont agree with it. Her tail was docked before I had chance to pick her
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2004, 09:53 AM
All I can say is NOT TO DOCK........

I breed cocker spaniels and do not dock their tails, I used to be not any more I don't care what people say it DOES hurt the pups, I always had it done by a vet, but I won't be having it done again. The pups whimper for ages after, which is not surprising when you've just had the bottom of their spines chopped off. :smt018
Carole
Supervisor

12-05-2004, 09:54 AM
What method do the vets use in the UK
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

12-05-2004, 10:28 AM
I don't think vets are really taught to dock the tails of puppies. Amputation in an adult dog yes, but puppy docking no. Experienced breeders can, and do, dock tails, either by cutting or banding, with no distress to the pup.

Having lost a long-tail dog to trauma-induced cancer of the tail I do find that the argument for docking has some merit.

Having a traditionally docked breed I have considered the arguments for and against very carefully.
Carole
Supervisor

12-05-2004, 10:31 AM
Do breeders still dock their own pups. I thought it was illegal for them to do so now and only vets can do it
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

12-05-2004, 10:47 AM
Carole

Sorry. Yes I believe that is the case in the U.K. A ban on tail docking came into force in Australia on 1st April this year. Prior to that most breeders docked their own pups.
Carole
Supervisor

12-05-2004, 10:52 AM
What will happen now to docked breeds in Australia Will breeders simply stop breeding them or will it still be done
Robert
Dogsey Senior

12-05-2004, 06:25 PM
I was told today by a breeder of springer spaniels that the perfect length for a working springers ear leather is to the tip of the nose, plus hair length.

Apparently this helps to sweep any scent towards the nose as the dog moves along. Don't know if its true, but it sounds plausible to me.
Page 2 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »