16-02-2012, 10:58 PM
Suck on a Fishermans friend ..
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Suck on a Fishermans friend ..
I tried that once, but he wasn't very impressed!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 11:21 PM
I had a flu like thing last week...vomiting, temperature, muscle pain, dizziness, thumping headache...the works. I just stayed in bed for two days straight, sleeping it off while drinking lots of water. On the third day I managed to get up, then by day four I was back out with the mutts (albeit, feeling still feeling like sh*t).

Rest is best IMO. The dogs will survive a day or two without walks.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Clo has just suggested whisky, hot water, lemon juice and sugar..
That's my mum's 'cure' for it too . Have enough of it and it might not cure the cold, but it makes you drunk enough to care just that little bit less about it

Had cold a few weeks ago. Took three to four weeks to fully get rid of it. Couldn't breathe for two of those weeks so I truly sympathise with you.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
That's my mum's 'cure' for it too . Have enough of it and it might not cure the cold, but it makes you drunk enough to care just that little bit less about it

Had cold a few weeks ago. Took three to four weeks to fully get rid of it. Couldn't breathe for two of those weeks so I truly sympathise with you.
I doubt I can go into work drunk

Actually the little bit of what Clo suggested helped, I couldn't drink it all, but I think I may make my own up using Vit C and Whisky (Because I do love Whisky and OJ and they are recommended for colds). The only problem with it last night was that after I'd even taken a little I couldn't take any more other medicine .. I didn't think it through..

I've mainly got a sore throat and sneezes, coughing a little and headaches.. now that is, I no longer feel dizzy when I stand up..

I'll kick it soon, hoping work sees the state of me and just sends me home tonight though, I've always been one for trying, I never called up school to say I was ill but went to matron to go home - then at least I tried to get on with the day.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2012, 01:28 AM
Hot lemon and honey definitely helps....also port and brandy together!! I use honey and lemon if my throat is bad before singing at a gig. It does help.
Vitamin C and zinc supplements really help the immune system. It's worked wonders for me and I very rarely catch anything...and I work in a hospital where we have a norovirus outbreak at the moment!! I only take them in winter but it definitley works! Hope you feel better soon xxx
Johnclick
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-02-2012, 02:50 AM
I have two aids for my Beagle when he coughs. A small dab of butter on the end of my finger which he readily licks. The other is a tablespoon of Dr. Pepper in a saucer which he seems to enjoy. He became accustomed to Dr. Pepper so he won't drink other canned beverages.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2012, 06:49 AM
Hope you are feeling better soon. We have all got colds at the moment. I don't tend to take anything but do use Olbas oil straight on my pillow or jumper.

I do like the idea of hot ribena though as I really don't like hot toddys.

Helen
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

18-02-2012, 07:12 AM
If your really sore with it you can take paracatomol and ibuprofen

2 paracetomol every 4 hours, max of 8 per day

1 ibuprofen every 4 hours, max 4 per day

i.e. 4 doses per day each. you can take both at the same time but it can be more effective to take them 2 hours apart

ps - ibuprofen MUST be taken with or after food and NEVER take it if you have stomach problems

if you want to make the paracetomol act quicker, have a strong cup of coffee with it

vitamin c sources (such as lemon mentioned) will boost your immune system as will echinacea. combine that with rest and it will go away quicker. note that vit c is water soluble so you can take a few tabs per day, any excess will be flushed out by your system

if you are feeling nauseus (sp?) then ask your pharmacist for motillium, works very well

finally, drink plenty of water, the one that most people forget when they are ill
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2