View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 01:02 PM
wot as opposed to hot sweats, (at my age)
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2011, 01:03 PM
I think they may learn the scent in time, but does that mean everyones fear scent is the same, therefore an association can be made to dogs? People react differently to fear Im sure we can all agree?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 01:18 PM
People react differently to fear Im sure we can all agree?

As do dogs, ie

freeze
flight
fight
fart about

So is fear scent from dogs the same?

Extreme fear will result in evacuation of anal glands, do they all smell the same?

Does fear have to be taught, or is some of it instinctive (refer to Desmond Morris text years ago re animals in wild and humans and spiders) ie hence the "fear" stages dogs and other animals, including us go through?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 02:33 PM
ALL animals, us included, can "smell" fear - although, to be more accurate, all animals can indirectly smell fear - via sweat, pheromones, anal gland fluid, bladder or bowel evacuation, rapid breath odour - we have probably lost the ability to do this through our un-natural modern lifestyles.

To say otherwise is absolutely ridiculous. IMO.
Lou SA
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
sorry, didnt mean to start a scrap...just very very curious. Every single breeder/rescue of Northern Breeds (and their x's) have said that these dogs should never be let off lead. Their is a very good article somewhere, about trust being the biggest killer of Huskies and Mals.

Thing is, you dont have to condem them to a dull life of lead, their is scootering/rigs/ enclosed safe areas etc. Which begs the question (not meaning to be nit picking) why did you get these breeds, if you wanted dogs that you could let off lead
EXACTLY - it's called managing the environment. At my school we have set up a five acre field that is totally escape proof where such breeds can run off leash and have a measure of freedom in safety. It is impossible to undo over a hundred years of genetics!
Lou SA
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I know EXACTLY why Tai likes to lunge at the chickens in their pens ... because it is FUN to see them all flying up in the air squawking their heads off. It is prey drive - if he could, he would get in there and kill them. It is up to me to stop him doing that, quickly. Which I have done. With a couple of tugs and some sharp "no's", he no longer does it. Until the next time
That's the point Gnasher - your last coment "until the next time" which proves it doesnt work!
Lou SA
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-04-2011, 06:00 PM
I really must learn to stop joking ... yet again, my flippant and obviously pathetic attempt at humour fell on stony ground!

I was JOKING Ben! I don't expect Tai to go back to his old naughty chicken-frightening ways, but I suspect that he might try and slip one in one day just to see if we are still on our toes

that's not a question of having been, or not having been, trained correctly. That is merely taking account of his breeding - mal/husky mix, high prey drive, highly intelligent, norty gene!
"but I suspect that he might try and slip one in one day just to see if we are still on our toes " So you think you dog is planning this - just to see if you are on your toes......mmmnn I dont think so! That is giving him human atributes!
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-04-2011, 06:03 PM
ALL animals, us included, can "smell" fear - although, to be more accurate, all animals can indirectly smell fear - via sweat, pheromones, anal gland fluid, bladder or bowel evacuation, rapid breath odour - we have probably lost the ability to do this through our un-natural modern lifestyles.

To say otherwise is absolutely ridiculous. IMO.
Wrong again Gnasher. Alarm pheromones are well documented in insects and some fish, and the molecules have been characterized. However in mammals the issue less certain - so far only rats and mice have been found capable of expressing alarm pheromones. Also pheromones elicit species specific responses so the idea that dogs smell (human) fear is simply silly.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Lou SA View Post
That's the point Gnasher - your last coment "until the next time" which proves it doesnt work!
It was a JOKE !! Which obviously was not funny
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Lou SA View Post
"but I suspect that he might try and slip one in one day just to see if we are still on our toes " So you think you dog is planning this - just to see if you are on your toes......mmmnn I dont think so! That is giving him human atributes!
Again, I am joking Using hyperbole, call it what you like. Satire, sarcasm.

The clue is in the wink.
Page 12 of 16 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »