Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
buzzonesbirdie
New Member!
Female 

22-03-2008, 01:55 AM

Puppy choking on food

First off i am sorry if this is not the right section for this post. I have two 5 week old puppies. We have been feeding them weaning formual mixed with ground up puppy food. One of the puppies is a very fast eater and she keeps on getting the food stuck to the roof her mouth. we then have to go and stick our fingers in her mouth to get it out. my question is do we need to make sure that the food is wetter as it is on the dry side or should we start giving them whole puppy food. She also does this when the puppy food is left whole but mositened. I have not owned a puppy in over 12 years so i am at loss here of what to do. Thank you all for any help in this matter.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2008, 02:17 AM
At 5 weeks old they should still be drinking milk from the Mother and not being fed pup food, or only barely beginning weaning !!

Why are they not still with the mother at this sensitive age ?

You need to get them Puppy Milk (not sure which type as you are in the States, but you need to call your Vet, and have him recommend a suitable alternative to their mothers milk.
buzzonesbirdie
New Member!
Female 

22-03-2008, 03:17 AM
The reason that they are not still with their mother at this time is because their mother was hit by a car.(we were due to get these puppies at 8 weeks anyway) The we only just got the puppies and the only reason that we were giving them food was because the person that we got them from said that she was feeding them the puppy food. We are giving them the puppy formula for puppies ages 4 to 8 weeks in a bowl and this is what we were using to mositen the food too. I have an apt with my vet for them on Monday. So are you saying that the only thing that they need to be feed is the puppy formula. Please forgive all of my questions. And thank you for your help
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2008, 08:10 AM
What I would recommend is at least 5 small meals a day, 2 milk ones and 3 puppy food ones. Don't just moisten the puppy food but make it quite sloppy so they lap to begin with. Make sure fresh clean water is available all the time and I would also leave a bowl of dry out all the time as well so they begin to start nibbling on that.
With losing their mother and changing homes they will be going through a very stressful time at the moment so you need to keep things calm and quiet for them whilst they are adjusting.
I would recomend getting them checked by the vet in a few days as well just to make sure that they are OK.
Becky