Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bailey-jake
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-05-2015, 06:02 AM

Depressed dog.

My dog seems a bit depressed the last week or two, even my son mentioned this the other day when he popped round.
I'm quite sure I know what is coursing this, we use to see his mate, a Labrador every other day, this has now dwindled down to less than once a month. He's still eating and drinking, regular worming and started advocate 3 weeks ago, but I'm taking him to the vet if he doesn't pick up, to get him checked out.

Any ideas what I can do to help? He's a very sociable dog, we are getting a puppy next week but I'm now a little concerned it may make him feel worse.

Thanks.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2015, 06:52 AM
Try interacting more with him. Not just exercise but more brain things. Hiding items that he can search for. Retrieving different objects with a game, you being more exciting. I wouldn't normally say this but maybe a slightly higher protein food to give him that extra boost of energy. If you can when seeing the new pup take him along to see the pup and maybe have an interacton session with the pup in their garden. Sometimes homeopathy works so you could try using Ignatia. This helps with pining etc. Good Luck hope he feels better soon.
Bailey-jake
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-05-2015, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the reply breada1
I did buy him two of the dog games to play with him & he loves these, he doesn't understand hide and seek, is there a way to make that game really easy then progressively harder?
He's on a raw diet as he's allergic to commercial foods.

What is ignatia? I've not heard of this before.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2015, 11:26 AM
Find a toy that your dog really loves to play with and let him see you hide it at first behind a chair or door or anywhere that he can see it, and then in a very excited voice say where is it and see if he will go to where you hid it. In the house is best at first when you do this. Then get him to either sit or get someone to hold him and then hide it without him seeing and in a very excited voice get him to find it. You can hide all sorts of things and he will find them. Then out in the garden and then on walks. Ignatia is a homeopathic remedy used for pining and sadness. I get mine from Ainsworths but you may find it in holland and barrett or shops like them. It comes in tablet form or liquid. If you want to use it then let me know and I will explain how to use it. But first try the hide and seek game and do more interacting with him yourself not just letting him play with toys on his own. .
Bailey-jake
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-05-2015, 11:54 AM
Thanks Brenda1
I will give the hide and seek a go, he loves tug and football games and my grandson is starting to interact with him too.
I'll look into ignatia but will leave that as a last option after the vet if needed.
We will be seeing the lab next week for a walk and then they play together while us humans have tea and a chat.
Jas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-05-2015, 09:52 AM
Is it possible to meet with his buddy more, that way you could see if the issue is that he's missing his pal.
Bailey-jake
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-05-2015, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the reply jas.
Unfortunately it isn't possible to meet as often now.
I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow to get checked over to see if there's anything physical coursing him to seem depressed.
Bailey-jake
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-05-2015, 04:46 AM
Update.
Took Bailey to the vet, poor thing has an ear infection and is now on anti biotic ear drops.
Jas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-05-2015, 09:35 AM
Aw well at least you got it sorted. Hope he gets better soon x