Our sister sites
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Re ignoring shock collar posts.

Hi there,

I don't know exactly what was said, but I think just ignoring a thread is different to stopping someone from posting - it's just using "customer choice"

However, there is also the view that everyone and anyone should be allowed to speak whatever their view, otherwise "Free Speech" is stifled.

I actually disagree with this stance.

Reasons:

I don't believe that "allowing free speech" does what it says on the tin.

Because what happens is that you get bullies, loud mouths, liars, twisters and know it alls shouting their wares. Those who have equal right to speak, and often equal or better knowledge, but who are perhaps more gentle in nature, tend to have to fight hard to get heard, and often have to endure outright attacks, lies and bullying on some forums with no intervention. It's a flawed and incorrect situation, in my humble opinion

The sort of free speech that many talk about on forums, and insist is right, would, if taken to extremes, allow real abusers to talk their talk.

Also if people are promoting cruelty, abuse, etc then I personally do not agree with giving them a voice. Of course there may then be the arguments about "what is cruelty or abuse" and so on. And from then on, much depends on which forum one is on (not just talking dogs here but more widely - e.g. family forums, etc).

JMO though!

Wys
x
I take your point Wys ~ the same views would apply to banning any discussions of, e.g. child abuse.

It seems that the vast majority (if not all?) of the people that post on this forum, are very against any form of animal cruelty, & in particular, against the use of electric shocks to train dogs. So on this forum, AP will have a hard job trying to convince anyone.

But there are many people that will read posts, members & non-members, or may just have googled shock collars & come across this forum. The last thing we want is for a desperate dog owner to think that using an e-collar will solve their problems! So the more of us that refute AP's arguments, that show up the huge flaws in both his grasp of scientific learning theory & ability to make a logical argument, perhaps the less likely it will be that any desparate dog owners will try e-collars.

I think this thread has done that very well. It has high-lighted the cruelty to the dog, it has shown the flaws in AP's arguments, it has promoted the use of pos R as a kind & effective method.

But that's the only reason I can think of for continuing a discussion on e-collars ~ to let the anti-e-collar people have their say.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Actually, it does give AP something to do. If the ecollar thread lapses he pops up and hijacks other ones.
At least with this one it is pretty obvious that he`s not a dog trainer.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
nope, wrong again

are you sure, you are the only person whom cannot grasp my concept, despite repreated clear explanations????

are you sure now???

i really dont think you are that slow on the uptake....

also, as a second piece of self contradiction, and as Smokeybear pointed out earlier, if you cannot see the stress, how can you say the dog is stressed?????

as you yourself are admitting that you arent referring to the scientific quantification of observation (body langauge)...the stress signs are masked, remember ... what is your measured criteria for citing stress which you cannot see?

basically adam, you indeed cannot see simple logic.

your own argument is flawed, and your own comments contradict themselves.

but im sure you realise that and, are just playing dodgeball with us
KW You know what they say, 'there is none so blind as those who will not see'. Adam has little empathy with dogs, I am not making a quick judgement here but base my opinion on his attitude when posting, the videos he posted and his affiliation to dubious e collar salesmen (evident from his willingness to speak 'their' actual words).

Whatever arguments however logical are put forward about the undesirability of using e collars Adam will refute them, it is in his interests to do so because until they are banned he is making a living out of their use.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
slb...... what do you mean nothing else works have u tried long enough and properly? im sorry but a choke chain is the same principle imo as a e collar or prong collar and to be fair choke chains can do a hellava lot of physical damage
i dont mean to be orrible but to me your argument against e collars falls apart if you are willing to use a choke chain on your lad... albeit a 'gentle tug'
I know - and I tried for months at a time with all sorts, and they even had a trainer out before I came along some good that did it and the good news is - and I do believe I said it in a previous post - I dont use it anymore - I've got it so he listens with treats (and the chain "fell off" in the woods)
But Tupac, unlike AP - I hated using the chain and used it against my better judgement and only until I got him onto treats and my voice alone - AP uses the E-collar with pleasure and will willingly stick one around someone else's dog in order to "train" it.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 12:59 PM
If you lower the quality of the reward (decreae excitment) but continue to train in the same way the stress signals become apparent again.

But Adam, not if you do it right as dogs learn by association....

Both good points but, what if they have done that and reached a point were its not working?

Also with the 2nd point, most people can't control the environment 100% this renders discussions about gradually increasing distractions obsolete.

Adam
Then they obviously havent done it well enough and are becoming impatient. Simply havent conditioned well enough for long enough in varying circumstances. People cant control the environment but they can choose where, when and how which means they can then limit the dogs chances of success or failure which is very important. So important that it means if they pay attention to that they wont need an E-collar and also that perhaps they should spend more time 'reading' their dog than damning its natural canine behaviours, if its obvious they wont handle a certain situation etc then dont set the dog up for failure in the first place and it wont then learn from the handler to ignore them.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
But Adam, not if you do it right as dogs learn by association....

Then they obviously havent done it well enough and are becoming impatient. Simply havent conditioned well enough for long enough in varying circumstances. People cant control the environment but they can choose where, when and how which means they can then limit the dogs chances of success or failure which is very important. So important that it means if they pay attention to that they wont need an E-collar and also that perhaps they should spend more time 'reading' their dog than damning its natural canine behaviours, if its obvious they wont handle a certain situation etc then dont set the dog up for failure in the first place and it wont then learn from the handler to ignore them.
Good post, the pertinant point for me is highlighted............when I chose to get a RR, I wanted an independant hound. I got that so why would I try and change what is his essencial make-up and try to turn him into a cowed robot. I work with him and his instincts which equals happy dog and happy owner.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Adam, if you can't see it, what makes you so convinced that the dog feels stress?

You are making an illogical assumption based on nothing more than your own thoughts which appear very strange in light of the extreme lack of justification for them
And Tassle too!

Because if you lower the excitment (by lowering value of treats) but train excatly the same (rate of reinforment ect) you get stress signals.

Adam
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
Has anyone seen this guy? he tries to put a positive spin on e-collars and constantly sarcastically mentions how abused his dogs look.
His work isnt terrible so why does he need an electrical device?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JAX83MjyQI
Haven't seen the vid but probably same as me, its just better.

Adam
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
nope, wrong again

are you sure you are the only person whom cannot grasp my concept, despite repreated clear explanations????

are you sure now???

i really dont think you are that slow on the uptake....

also, as a second piece of self contradiction, and as Smokeybear pointed out earlier, if you cannot see the stress, how can you say the dog is stressed?????

as you yourself are admitting that you arent referring to the scientific quantification of observation (body langauge)...the stress signs are masked, remember ... what is your measured criteria for citing stress which you cannot see?

basically adam, you indeed cannot see simple logic.

your own argument is flawed, and your own comments contradict themselves.

but im sure you realise that and, are just playing dodgeball with us
I'm still not getting it Kruse.

However if you lower the value of the reward (desrease excitment) they reappear.

Btw seeing as I'm not getting it why don't you do what a good dog trainer would do and make it easier?

As it is you keep giving the cue and getting the wrong response lol.

Adam
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Yes indeed, agree
When I spoke to Bob Bailey (one of the first OC animal trainers to bring OC to the general public, not sure if you've heard of him? ) he suggested that until we can actually know what animals are literally thinking, we can't (or rather the shock collar people can't) assume that a dog is experiencing a negative emotion/bad stress, etc.(This was in context of this exact discussion, nothing else). The fact that some are saying it occurs at the particular point of reward training they are suggesting, are just basically making things up

It's not how OC works, and unless they can prove otherwise,they are lying.

BB put it much better than me, though

Wys
x
But we also can't assume that dogs arn't distressed by reward training and don't find aversive training relaxing!

Adam
Closed Thread
Page 61 of 98 « First < 11 51 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 71 > Last »