View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sreebh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2015, 07:28 AM
Took him to the vet today. They examined his stool sample and it came back negative for worms. The doctor is of the opinion that blood transfusion could save him, but there's some risk involved since he is so tiny. They gave him some injectable form of iron supplement, which is supposed to work in 3 days. His lungs seem clear, though the nose is wet. The doctor asked if the pup could have accidently aspirated some food. It has never happened in my observation, no choking or coughing while feeding...but I cannot be sure.
Keeping fingers crossed for this little one...
sandgrubber
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2015, 05:34 PM
Fingers crossed for you and the little guy. Call that prayers if you follow that sort of religion. Sounds like you've done a great and compassionate job trying to save this little life. Sometimes fate is not in our hands.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2015, 05:47 PM
You are bound to be exhausted,worrying alone is draining enough never mind the lack of sleep Really hope it'll soon be replaced with feelings of joy when this little guy bounces back thanks to all your TLC...you are a star...(( hugs))
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2015, 06:49 PM
You can't always tell if they've aspirated food, and it's an easy thing for a weak puppy who isn't used to feeding to do. The problem is that this can cause infection very quickly, so you're doing the right thing by taking him straight to the vet. If there is an infection you'll need serious antibiotics-- and that won't help his eating, poor thing.

A wet nose is perfectly normal, by the by-- you want a cool, wet nose. A hot dry nose is trouble!

Another thing to consider is his heart. Can you ask your vet to check him for a murmur? They can be quite hard to detect. Heart difficulties could cause the gasping. It's worth checking out.

You're very welcome for the recipe. You are an absolute hero for this little puppy! I am sending you good thoughts.
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2015, 04:34 PM
Hope the pup is still o.k. as I see this thread is a few days old. At my vet's suggestion I use only natural, unrefined honey for sweetening, but he did say that any honey is better than anything other than foods that are naturally sweet. As to puppy formula I have raised a lot of litters and supplemented dogs that didn't have enough milk with simply diluted goats milk and honey. I understand that now-a-days you can also buy an additive for the natural immunities a puppy gets from the mother, but I have never looked for it or used it. Whatever happens with this pup you are doing an amazing job with him.
sreebh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-01-2015, 06:00 PM
Hi everyone. Sreebhadra is doing better (fingers crossed)...Her tongue has turned from white to light pink, and her skin too shows a hue of pink...so I guess something good is going on.

Heart murmurs!!.. Her heart literally races...the area where the throat joins the chest beats really fast. I will mention it to the doctor when I take her on Saturday.
Now she sleeps less, tries to walk more. She gets quickly exhausted and goes into the gasping mode...so as soon as she starts gasping, I put her back in her carrier and she dozes off. Once she has rested, the breathing is back to normal.
She had an abscess at the base of her tail, which once ruptured and released a lot of pus. Now it has filled up again, so I have to show that too.
She is having daily iron and multivitamin supplements. She is particularly attracted to where my pigeons sit, and waddles slowly towards them. She doesn't like to sit inside her carrier, and gives a meeoww..to let us know she wants to get out.
The main problem is my job, I can't feed her during those 8 hours. My neighbour is a kind lady with a cat, and she takes care of Sreebhadra when I go to work. But she doesn't know how to feed her, she can only show her milk and hope she would drink. So I am feeding her as much as possible in the evenings, so she wouldn't go hungry in the mornings while she is alone.
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2015, 06:49 PM
With the progress she's showing you must be doing something right. I've put warm compresses on an abscess to bring it to a head so it will break open and drain. I hope the vet gives you an oral antibiotic for it. Topical antibiotics don't seem to be enough. Watch her around the birds. Never seen a dog that didn't love to eat bird poop and I don't know what it may do to her.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2015, 08:16 PM
Great to hear she's making some progress.Fingers crossed all goes well on Saturday(( hugs))
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-01-2015, 01:08 AM
So... you're working all day, and then you're caring for this little puppy all night? Do you ever get to sleep? What you are doing for this little dog is amazing. My hat is off to you. Seriously. I just put on a hat so I could take it off to you. I dearly hope all goes well.

I'll second the warm compresses on the abscess. Even if it doesn't help to drain it right away, it'll ease any pain she might be feeling from it. Poor little thing-- but so lucky she got you.
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-01-2015, 05:42 AM
She is one lucky little dog with an exhausted owner. I wear a "bad hair" hat whenever I go out. Next time I go out I'll have one on again and I will remove it for a minute for this heroic person who works all day and cares for a sick baby all night. I'd feel the same for any mother, but to go so out of your way for "just a dog" is special.
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >