Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 05:12 PM

which breed?

that is the question! Obviously I will need to see how much I get on my student loan before I think seriously about this, but they are going up by a substantial amount this year and most people seem to spend a large chunk of it on boozing, which I won't be

Getting another dog may be a possibility when I go to Uni... It will be a rescue, and I'll go either to the Dog's Trust or to a breed rescue. So I'm wondering if I go to breed rescue which ones will suit me, and what you guys think of it
It will most likely be a bitch. Has to be springer sized and up, or Jobie will consider her a squeaky toy
The main things are they need to be okay with being left alone as I'll be in lectures for 3-5 hours on weekdays, though probably broken up. I'm flexible with exercise, a dog who can be let off lead with reliable recall would be a bonus, and they'd also be able to run next to my bike. I'd probably walk them 2-3 times a day for 1-1.5 hours. I'd prefer a laid back dog who can chill out when there's nothing much happening, I'd also like to be able to train them to a decent level, but that isn't essential. If everything goes to plan 'll be living in a maisonette with a garden, my sister and her boyfriend living on the other floor and my nan's fiancee as a landlord so no problems there. I'll probably go home for some weekends, so a dog that my parents will like (i.e not too bouncy) would be best.
I love longcoats and don't mind grooming/hoovering, but it's not too important. Mostly I'd love a dog who will jump up on the sofa with me in the evenings for a cuddle, and who will make me laugh
I've done a bit of research, and so far I've thought GSD, English Setter, Samoyed, Bullmastiff, Boxer, Shar Pei, Staffy, Rottie, or another greyhound/lurcher. As much as I adore collies, I think going from Jobie to a collie would be a bit too much of a culture shock for both of us, and my parents! One day though, or maybe an oldie?

What do you think? Any breed suggestions are welcome, and feel free to tell me if any of the ones I've been thinking about are totally wrong! I wish I had seen more breeds at discover dogs.. Theres always Crufts I guess
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Many Samoyeds are NOT OK off lead ..... I don;t know too many reliable off lead shar peis either ...
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 05:43 PM
yeah, those two are more in my 'i'd love them but...' group i wouldn't discount a breed not known for their recall, I have Jobie afterall, it would just be nice
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 05:48 PM
well its clear I love rotties, an older rescue may tick all the right boxes for you

there are so many needing loving homes
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 05:49 PM
I would recommend a nice rough coated lurcher
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 05:54 PM
I`d say not a GSD as they won`t like all the coming and going. All the dogs on your list are pretty active!
danielle0211
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-02-2009, 06:52 PM
I would say a lurcher based on your list if you go to a lurcher rescue they would most probably be able to find you one that will really fit in well with you.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 06:55 PM
collie collie collie! if you love them they arent difficult!!!!! they are only Hard work if u dont like the breed!!!!!

I find them such a easy breed!
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Why not go for another greyhound.They love living in pairs especially if yours is an ex racer he would have most likely been with anoher dog in kennels.Or maybe a whippet my greyhounds live out happily alongside my whippets in fact my oldest bitch Tegan bosses my greyhounds around
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2009, 07:46 PM
In our case we went to a general rescue with a list of requirments and eventually came home with Maggie who is a collie x (not a type I ever thought would suit me but there you go). I think this is what is so great about rescue. You can go in with a list of what you need in a dog (as long as you a reasonable) and can come out with a total surprise (in terms of breed/type) which I think is great.
Not very helpful I know, but I say go for the "surprise" option!

Good luck!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >