View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 06:14 PM
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY see, I don't always talk rubbish do I!!!!

p.s. Work on it, work on it and work on it some more!!!! I had to for many many weeks. You'll find you only need it for the initial greeting then, and he WILL greet him properly with it in his mouth, just that he will stay on the ground wriggling around him screaming like Zena does!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Aw, well done!! I agree with Helena, just keep at it as it might just be the way You must be really chuffed!
scottyvdub
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-12-2010, 05:41 PM
i watched this clip ages ago, its simple, but you know your dog, some dogs have a real big problem with there feet being touched, but if your dog is ok with feet then this should be a winner, when the dog is jumping the dog is in control of the situation this simple idea swaps round instantly so your in control,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFscKdfpQWA
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Hmmm, I like the guy, I might look further into his techniques, but have to say, I'm not so sure about that grabbing the paws for fear of my dog turning aggressive and maybe biting the person if they held them too tight or through fear perhaps?! It would be an ok thing for me to do being the actual owner of the dog, if I had a big problem with the jumping, as I'd be very gentle about the whole thing, but I'm not so sure about letting other people in on it? what's your take on it then?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2010, 07:05 PM
I would never recommend grabbing the dog or spraying him with water. You want your dog to be friendly, not afraid.
Would it not be simpler just to work on recall, then when you do want your dog to greet a stranger (and let`s face it, you really don`t want your dog bouncing up to just anybody), teach the dog to Sit, then praise & reward.
But it does come down to recall, I`m afraid. Among those people your dog is trustingly trotting up to might be... well, I`ll let your imagination go on that one.

eta - Helena - would you be happy about a stranger grabbing your GSD? Surely not?
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Yes, think I definitely prefer the other videos which use clicker training for stopping dogs jumping up - when they are either sitting or have all four paws on the ground, then click and reward.

I definitely agree that a lot of it comes down to recall too. I know that Storm always runs straight up to people and takes no notice whatsoever of me calling him back or shouting 'down' when he jumps up! His recall is pretty good when there's no other distractions.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2010, 07:23 PM
It's different for me because my dog would never go up to anybody, let alone jump up at them. My problem is with visitors and o/h, but as I said I cured it, and I honestly think, once you cure something back at home, you've cured it when out - don'tcha think? So the recall thing is out of place (at home, you don't need it), maybe perhaps a good "sit" would suffice, but it never worked for me, nor a down. Quite honestly, when the dog does this jumping up thing, it's far too hyper and obsessed with what it's doing to listen to anything imo.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I would never recommend grabbing the dog or spraying him with water. You want your dog to be friendly, not afraid.
Would it not be simpler just to work on recall, then when you do want your dog to greet a stranger (and let`s face it, you really don`t want your dog bouncing up to just anybody), teach the dog to Sit, then praise & reward.
But it does come down to recall, I`m afraid. Among those people your dog is trustingly trotting up to might be... well, I`ll let your imagination go on that one.

eta - Helena - would you be happy about a stranger grabbing your GSD? Surely not?
NO!!! That's why I put in my post, that only I would be happy to try this method if all else failed, NEVER anybody else!! I'm absolutely certain that she might turn aggressive!!!
scottyvdub
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-12-2010, 07:44 PM
i think this is only for dog and owner, i did say you know your own dog, and i wouldnt trust anyone else to do it with my dog. you know your own dog and you know how hard you are grabing, this jumping is becoming a problem that needs fixing, i dont see a problem with this training idea as long as you dont hurt the dog, it might be a fast and effective idea, which could save the dog from getting in trouble,
i dont see it as hurting the dog just taking control away from the dog in that situation, it can be done at home and the dog should remember the command, get off or get down, or what ever you use which can be used out side the home and then the dog should learn that its just better to keep all four on the floor, the praise part of the training is the most important part.

just an idea i saw, thought i would show
scottyvdub
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-12-2010, 08:01 PM
another idea if you got some friends to help out, set up a walk where you will "bump into" your friends and they will only praise or give treats to your dog when calm and not jumping, my dog used to jump and pester my mum when she came round, but my dog got nothing from her untill he was calm, a way i sped things along was the treat in a closed fist game.
you have a treat in your hand held tight, the dog sniffs and snuffles maybe even scrathes at the fist to get the treat and then as soon as the dog stops trying open your fist, if the dog goes for the treat again close the fist, soon the dog just waits looking at you with the treat in an open hand, then you tell the dog to take, it teaches the dog in human terms manners,
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >