Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-02-2005, 05:16 PM

Boosters

Just back from the vet with Star. Our vet is only vaccinating with Nobivac DHPPi every 3 years.

Star got NOBIVAC Pi and NOBIVAC Lepto 2 and will get the same next year.

This will be the time scale:

6 - 8 weeks Nobivac DHPPi + Nobivac Lepto 2

10 weeks Nobivac DHPPi + Nobivac Lepto 2

1st annual booster Nobivac DHPPi + Nobivac Lepto 2

2nd annual booster Nobivac Pi + Nobivac Lepto 2

3rd annual booster Nobivac Pi + Nobivac Lepto 2

4th annual booster Nobivac DHPPi + Nobivac Lepto 2

5th annual booster Nobivac Pi + Nobivac Lepto 2

6th annual booster Nobivac Pi + Nobivac Lepto 2

7th annual booster Nobivac DHPPi + Nobivac Lepto 2

etc

(from Intervet website)
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2005, 06:15 PM
How did it go Caz?

Is she healthy? How's the heart?
Carole
Supervisor

09-02-2005, 07:34 PM
It went great

Her heart is good and the vet said she has a good figure for a spayed bitch and I think she is mellowing out a bit towards the vet.
Meg
Supervisor

09-02-2005, 08:17 PM
Thanks Carole I also confirmed with my vet the other day and it was the same, most vets now seem to use Intrervet this way so to summerise after the first year :-

ever three years =
1) Nobivac DHPPi A live vaccine for control of canine distemper, infectious canine hepatits, canine parvovirus disease and reduction of clinical signs due to canine parainfluenza virus infection. +
Nobivac Lepto2 Inactivated, bacterial vaccine containing a liquid suspension of Leptospira interrogans serogroups Canicola (strain Ca-12-000) and Icterohaemorrhagiae (strain 820K), each  40 PD80 per dose. Each vial contains a single dose.
Thats the whole lot,

2) Every year=
Nobivac Lepto2 Inactivated, bacterial vaccine containing a liquid suspension of Leptospira interrogans serogroups Canicola (strain Ca-12-000) and Icterohaemorrhagiae (strain 820K), each  40 PD80 per dose. Each vial contains a single dose,+
Nobivac Pi A live monovalent vaccine to reduce clinical signs of canine parainfluenza virus infection.
Thats Leptospirosis and parainfluenza

I also asked my vet if the manufacturers of canine vaccines do the same as the W.H.O. do with the human influenza virus, and sample parvo for mutations of the virus so that they can keep up to date on the strains and she understood that to be so
Glad the lovely Star was ok
Carole
Supervisor

09-02-2005, 09:52 PM
lets hope this new system will stop the dogs being over vaccinated
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2005, 10:35 AM
ahh!
still too much!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2005, 11:24 AM
Glad Star did good
Meg
Supervisor

11-02-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by jess
ahh!
still too much!
Hi there Jess I very much appreciate your point of view just like Christine who posts on here for whom I have the greatest respect, but having nearly lost a bitch with parvo through not keeping up with the boosters I would never do it again. Also I had a long conversation with a vet recently about this whole subject and points people raise and she made the following points:
Do people really think most of us who entered this profession to help and heal animals would vaccinate when unnecessary to make money. If we vaccinate and lose the dog we have lost a patient and the potential fees from the care of that dog anyway. Yes, there have been instances of allergic reactions and dogs have died that happens with all medication, all carry an element of risk. But this is nothing to what could happen if people get the idea it is best not to vaccinate or have boosters and diseases we rarely see become endemic amongst the dog population. Unvaccinated bitches will no longer have passive immunity to pass on to their puppies and many could die as could many hundreds of dogs. The few who do not vaccinate at the moment get away with it because so many people do vaccinate keeping the diseases at bay, but once the diseases are out there in number things will change rapidly. I have read the information and am not prepared to take the risk of not vaccinating with the three year system, that is just me others must draw their own conclusions and decide for themselves
Carole
Supervisor

11-02-2005, 12:35 PM
both sides put a good argument for vaccinating/not vaccinating which makes it even harder to decide what is best for your dog. What worries me is when everyone decides to stop vaccinating their dogs WILL these diseases rise again.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2005, 03:43 PM
this is a VERY serious subject. I have spent months and months trying to figure out whats best for my dogs. I would not be even Considering putting them at risk, if i wasn't terrified of the vaccine risks. Be careful who tells you what. I dont know if you read my intro. Catherine O'Driscoll has been researching into this for 14 yrs. and in her books she invites the vet assoc. to sue her. not once have they dared. Look at the evidence: over the past ten years or so vets have been TOLD (an important note, as vets are good people. they are not intentionally harming our dogs, they are relying on vaccines manufacturers to give them info. its the manufacturers that makes the money at the end of the day) that yearly boostering is fine. Recently they have been advised to change to a three yearly change. Because of new evidence coming to light about the risks involved in over vaccinating. What about all the dogs in the last ten years that have had to be the guinea pigs for their experiments to see if its 'ok'. and how do we know the new guidlines are safe? this is what i know; catherine has been told to be careful what she says and does; if she becomes to big (ie more people agree with her findings) then she is in danger. i mean life threatening danger. you may laugh at this, but its not funny. we arent talking about a small about of money. this is a big industry, who make a great deal of money from each and every one of us. the same 'independant companies' who test the vaccines to find out whether they are safe or not, also sell the vaccines - sound screwed up. its a small conspiracy, except its not illegal. if you read the articles found in the Merk manual for vets (this tells you about drugs and their side effects) you will read that under vaccines;
animals and livestock should NOT be vaccinated if;
a. they are immune impaired (i.e. ill)
b. they are under stress
c. they have deficient genes

a. how many dogs do you know that have diabetes/eplilepsy/arthritis adn are STILL vaccinated every year?
b. if i take my dog for his booster after agility, his body has just been under stress (do vets ask any questions about the dogs stress that day - nope) (also many greyhounds are boosterd just after racing)
c. you cant tell bad genes by looking at a dog that may appear healthy

So what? are vets practising badly? no. its just they are not told to check, and if they are they soon forgot. vaccines are not a big thing, just a by and by.

Also in vaccine manuals:
a side effect of live vaccine is death

do they warn you your dog may die? nope. (doesnt happen that often) the reality is it may take months to arise, and by that time the vet and vaccine manufacturers claim it has nothing to do with the injection (happens alot more than you think) (just speak to catherine!)

Poppy, my little foster dog at the moment. She was riddled with worms and very underweight when i got her. Off to the vet, and they wanted to worm her and vaccinated in the same day. I knew better. I told this vet ''no, her immune system is going through enough, lets worm her and wait a week'' he disagreed and told me there would be no problem. I told him to read his vaccine manual!
I went back a week later to get her vaccinated. Friday afternoon. She was fine, fine fine. Then sunday i woke up to find she couldnt see. I immediatly thought ''conjunctivitis''. took her to the vet. the vet said to me ''this is NOT and infection, have you used anything different in the house that she could be allergic to?'' i thought for a moment, and then answered ''oh god, she was given a shot on friday'' 'oh no, it wont be that, was the answer'' she gave me a shot of RIMADYL (!) (for those that dont know this drug has been proved to cos liver and kidney disease, and is used in pain killing) and gave me eye drops for the infection!!! (that she didnt have)
poppys eyes calmed down after a few days (no eyes drops used), but i am left wondering, well what is going on in her body that i cant see?

So vets dont know. there is a heck of a lot to be learned, but when i a scientist (er, ...me) gets scared of something drug related. you can be sure its not a minor thing......
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >