View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-06-2012, 03:09 PM

Mini Lop pictures, including the imposter.

As you know we aquired a pair of mini lops a few weeks ago, Moo ( Magpie Lilac) and Roo (Blue otter) *named by the little legs*, Roo died due to...well your guess is good as the vets and we were after a replacement for many reasons. And we found another, after seeing a few litters I found one I quite liekd. Another mini lop, a siamese smoke, Roo the 2nd!
Pictures for the rabbit fans.
They are really very sweet, great characters but really trash their house. I threaten them daily to evict them to a more conventional rabbits and put the coop to its original purchase purpose of keeping chickens, but then they do something sweet and I fail to be cross at them for how messy and naughty they are. Including nipping the dogs!

The messy house!

The new hoppy on the block, such an attractive bun.

Naughty Moo, thus named by the little legs as "the face s like a moo cow"

And the happy housemates! Who were NOT at all impressed by the clicking sound of the camera!

MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2012, 09:42 PM
Lovely babies!

I've got news for you - Moo is a Blue Harlequin, not a Lilac Magpie. Firstly, Magpies are white where she is fawn, and secondly she if far too dark for Lilac.

I used to breed & show standard Black Magpies and Blue Harlequins many years ago, and had the odd Black Harlequin and Chocolate Magpie, plus have seen the other colours at shows.

Your new one is a Siamese Smoke Pearl... light (they can be dark medium or light). She almost certainly carries Albino as this interacts to lighten the colour. I used to know a breeder of standard Smoke Pearls (now a very rare and endangered breed) and he always had one or two albinos in his collection, which had turned up in the litters, and were used in breeding to maintain the desired light coat colour.

Marten Smoke Pearls are the same but have the 'fox' pattern as well.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-06-2012, 09:51 PM
See I told numerous people this about Moo! I said that magpie was a total different patterning, but said breeder of second rabbit instructed me otherwise. To me, they are just hoppy things who look pretty, munch the lawn and keep us entertained!
Thanks for the input though MM, I did think originally she was a harley! But was badgered down otherwise
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
See I told numerous people this about Moo! I said that magpie was a total different patterning, but said breeder of second rabbit instructed me otherwise.
You have it from me, horse's mouth.... in the early 80's I bred the best Blue Harlequin at the London Championship Show one year. Before that I had a Reserve BIS with a black Magpie at a Harlequin club stock show, from my first litter. These were Standards and that was when they were only rabbits with this pattern - it has since been bred into Nethies, Lops, Lionheads etc.

I can give you a rundown of the genetics if you are interested.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-06-2012, 11:54 PM
Please do, I find it fascinating!