View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2012, 06:28 PM

Unusual or Traditional Markings/Colours?

I keep coming across photos of a GSP which has very unusual markings. Usually, they have a solid coloured head, with or without a white flash but this bitch has a lightly ticked head and solid ears. I hope they dont mind me posting this photo but I think she is a stunning bitch:

Anyway, my question is - do you prefer traditional coats or do you find yourself drawn to more unusual examples of a breed?

Personally, I am immediately drawn to the mismarked dogs and would never be put off a dog that didnt fit the breed standard with regards to coat. I recently found out that a GWP breeder bred a solid liver dog to a black and white bitch. Technically this shouldnt be done as it will likely produce solid blacks (which it did), something that is undesirable but those are the pups i'd be fascinated with.

Also (covers head with hands) I really like the blue Weims but arent keen on the usual coloured ones.

Please feel free to post pics too!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Obviously from my point of view (and that of most breed clubs in the world) there is no such thing as a Blue Weimaraner, they only come on one colour, grey (although perhaps not 50 shades of).

Fortunately for you, such misguided leanings are not punishable by death.

I do not like the colour of the dog in the photo and it is not something I would select.

I prefer my sables to black and tan/gold GSDs.

I also prefer very dark Malinois, even though it is not correct.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2012, 06:34 PM
What made you choose a LH Weim over a SH SB?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2012, 06:38 PM
That looks like Emma Carter's dog? I've seen her in the flesh and she is very pretty.

The only particular colour I am drawn to is Weimaraner grey; thus I have my Slovak! plus I have had lilac (aka grey!) cats, hamsters and gerbils. I find it very aesthetically pleasing.

I do not like solid white dogs or merle coloured dogs. I am also not a fan of light coloured yellows; almost white Labradors, Golden Retrievers, etc.

So I suppose I prefer dark, more traditionally marked dogs. A mismarked dog wouldn't put me off though.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2012, 06:40 PM
I like out of the ordinary, I dont like breeders breeding just for colour - but I also dont like them avoiding cwrtain colour combinations that have no health problems associated with them just because of a standard

I used to love merle collies, when they were out of the ordinary
Sadly now they are commonplace and people breeding for all sorts of 'rare' colour combinations I do not like that

Dogs like this I love - the light eyes too are striking

I do like the white factored collies too
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2012, 06:47 PM
I guess it's just down to personal tastes and individual dogs. Some dogs with unusual marking look stunning, others look odd. Just like dogs with traditional markings can be pleasing to the eye or not depending on personal preference.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2012, 06:49 PM
It all depends with me.

In my own breeds I like black/white, classic marking on a BC, although also like a nice tri and red/white. I am not over keen on merles and would never choose to have one.

I used to really like the more common black/tan gold or red GSDs with black saddle etc, but now find myself drawn to the sables more and more, especially dark sables. I also like bi-colour and solid black, which I was never all that keen on years ago.

I am not keen on the colouring of the dog in the photo, although do like the more traditional GSP colouring.

So, for me, it depends on the breed.
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2012, 06:50 PM
I don't mind really, I tend to go by the dogs structure rather than markings.
Saying that though, I can't resist a red dog, I favour red SBT's, and now I'm planning on a HWHV, also red.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2012, 06:56 PM
wow - just found this one

She looks so like my Mia (well almost as pretty)
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
wow - just found this one

She looks so like my Mia (well almost as pretty)
She really does look like Mia!!

Same as Moobli () i prefer traditional markings on collies and the dark sable on GSDs.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »